wow kids build their own bike incl frame

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

wow kids build their own bike incl frame

Post by mercalia »

This school is lucky in having this teacher

The school workshop resembles a factory floor where bikes are being built for GCSE exams.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/39043137
geomannie

Re: wow kids build their own bike incl frame

Post by geomannie »

I think that is very cool. What did I make in metal work? A garden rake.
geomannie
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

geomannie wrote:I think that is very cool. What did I make in metal work? A garden rake.

I made a poker and stand, a small table for my record player and a bar-stool. That was when I was aged 14 to 16, I'm 60 now and I've still got them all.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Some very cool looking work on show there. I wonder whether they did the copper anodising as well? I imagine they did. So I wonder whether they will take commissions? :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

all we ever had was woodwork and I made a small table top book case ( for about 10 books maybe ) and a small box to put things like jewels in - all rubbish lol. things have changed :D
meic

Post by meic »

mercalia wrote:all we ever had was woodwork and I made a small table top book case ( for about 10 books maybe ) and a small box to put things like jewels in - all rubbish lol. things have changed :D

It must be since the early 1990s because that sort of thing was still routine back then IF you were at a bog standard comprehensive. The teachers even allocated certain pupils cheap pine rather than a decent hardwood, because the hardwood was "wasted on them". Try learning a joint where the grain is larger than the fingers of the joint.
Yma o Hyd
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

When I was at school, more years ago now than I care to remember, we made two Mirror dinghies and started a school sailing club. For me it stimulated a lifetime's interest in both woodworking and messing around in boats.

It's hard to overstate the effect that an inspirational teacher can have on the future lives of young people. It's a shame that teaching is so undervalued in our society.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

When my late Father was in school they learnt useful things such as fitting a door lock in a wooden door - that was in the 1930's, so I guess it's either the teacher or the curriculum which decides (probably the former, certainly in the 30's)