How to secure a head torch to a helmet?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Revolution

Post by Revolution »

I need to replace my helmet which I have had for several years. The problem is that I like having my head torch attached; it is handy to have more than one front light - just incase one fails on the way home and I can see my cycle computer at a glance rather than waiting until I pass under a street light. The head torch fits well when the strap runs under the two stays that secure the helmet chin strap
IMG_0934.jpg
IMG_0934.jpg (15.32 KiB) Viewed 2259 times

But new helmets that I am looking at don't have this external fixing for the webbing.
I am wary of spending a large amount on a helmet and then applying adhesive that may compromise its strength. Also I use the head torch when I'm walking the dog so it needs to be easily detachable.
Has anyone got any experience / advise?
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: How to secure a head torch to a helmet?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
On mine I use Velcro straps (cable tidy) through the slots.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

Has to be cable ties.
works ok for me.
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

I have a couple of sets of petzl helmet clips - just plastic hooks - I keep one head torch with clips on all the time - goes on either my site helmet or my cycling helmet
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Cable ties.

My answer to everything.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
On mine I use Velcro straps (cable tidy) through the slots.

Me too. I also have a helmet fitting which came with my Fenix BTR20 which negates the use of Velcro. It stops the head torch sliding up and the strap slots into one of the rear vents. Good set up. I only use the Fenix on the bike. The lamp and battery are too heavy IMO to use on a helmet.

A link to the head lamp (I bought one on eBay for 50% less)

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Fenix- ... Light.html

I use my head torch on 'low' as an extra 'see me' aid for other traffic, map reading and looking at my gps or gears. The headlight is for seeing the road or trail.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Think on Schumacher before deciding on any attachment method.

Loos through the vents should be easily transferrable...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Most helmet manuals now specifically tell you not to attach things to them except with the manufacturer-approved mount. Even loops through vents seem quite likely to cut into the soft foam and make it break up in strange ways in a crash.

I think the makers were doing it pre-Schumacher, but that might just be to give them another way to dodge being sued when their harmful products don't work.

Also, please don't use a head torch while cycling on roads because dazzling oncoming traffic with them is unavoidable and illegal.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I reckon a low-powered head torch is ok as an addition to a normal (bike-mounted) headlight. But if the head torch is anywhere near as bright as the main light, or indeed is the main light, it creates a really weird appearance to oncoming traffic - breaks up the perceived shape and looks like two separate bikes - quite apart from the dazzle.

As for attaching things to helmets, I don't know what the current advice is but I remember the BS for motorcycle crash helmets used to forbid any protrusion from the surface of a helmet for this reason. This is why European models of crash helmet often had vents but UK versions did not (vents on m/c helmets being protruding holes with little shutters rather than just gaps between structural members as in cycle helmets). This was changed in the late 1980s when it was found that the important thing was not the projection but how it reacted under impact: so vents and other projections are ok but they must be designed to break off immediately under impact. If the same applies to bicycle helmets, this would obviously preclude threading the loops through the vents.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Bmblbzzz wrote:As for attaching things to helmets, I don't know what the current advice is but I remember the BS for motorcycle crash helmets used to forbid any protrusion from the surface of a helmet for this reason.

Years ago a motorbike magazine had a monthly 'What the rider did wrong' article. One highlighted an accident where the rider was wearing an open face helmet which had a press stud peak. Apart from the (low-speed) accident itself the rider had glued the peak to the helmet, it therefore did not break off as it was intended to, causing him more physical injury and less compensation.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Save yourself some money and go into Poundland and buy one of their head torches. I use the short strap only and connect it both sides of the bottom bracket through the vents in my helmet.
Pointed down towards the road its proven to be great through the dark lanes I use.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
mjr wrote:Also, please don't use a head torch while cycling on roads because dazzling oncoming traffic with them is unavoidable and illegal.

Forgetting the argument on safety of modifying helmets for a minute.

I.M.O. Its not rocket science to lower the beam or use a method of dipping.
What about the car drivers who don't dip for cyclist.
As a cyclist of 50 years and with lights over 42 years, many car drivers down unlit roads regard a small light as a unimportant annoyance, I.M.O. of course.

I think the statement not to use whilst on roads is way too broad a brush :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I.M.O. Its not rocket science to lower the beam or use a method of dipping.
What about the car drivers who don't dip for cyclist.
As a cyclist of 50 years and with lights over 42 years, many car drivers down unlit roads regard a small light as a unimportant annoyance, I.M.O. of course.

I think the statement not to use whilst on roads is way too broad a brush :?:

It's considerably politer than what I say in person to head torch uses. They're a bigger menace than unlit cyclists. Maybe it's possible to set up a dip system but no one does. Even those who point them down still look up occasionally, dazzling oncomers.

I don't see the relevance of criminal motorists. Does two wrongs make a right now?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Yes, an absolute "don't use" is too general IMO. But what has car drivers "regarding a small light as an unimportant annoyance" (which is also a broad brush but again one I think is generally more or less true) got to do with it? You can easily have a large and bright main light nowadays - agreed this wasn't possible 42 years ago and only possible at great expense even 12 years ago. And is it car drivers you'll be dazzling?
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

My head torch ratchets down to a point where the beam shines onto the front tyre at the furthest point. Like I say, I use it exclusively on low to map read, read my gps and see the gears/handlebars. The reason it is on low is not because I'm considerate; it's because I'm tight.

The only time it shines in the eyes of drivers is when I'm bunny hopping over car bonnets and rooves. That's illegal [emoji6]