Schwalbe Mondial vs XR tyres

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
climo

Schwalbe Mondial vs XR tyres

Post by climo »

I've got some Marathon XR's which are still fine but I was thinking of getting the newer Mondial tyre as they are the replacement tyre for the XR so should be better. But are they? Anyone got any direct experience?
I want puncture protection and the knowledge that if I want to go offroad I won't be sliding around. Basically a fit & forget solution.
reohn2

Re: Schwalbe Mondial vs XR tyres

Post by reohn2 »

I haven't ridden XR's but I did buy a pair of Mondials some time ago and they were complete slugs on tarmac,awfully slow.I sold them on after two rides.
Sorry I can't be more positive.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Alport

Post by Alport »

The Mondials are tough, but if you're going to be mostly on road then they are slower. Schwalbe Supremes are good on road and reasonably resilient, but not so good in mud! Thorn Cycles also warn that Mondials really only come into their own on tough off road touring. Mind you, I've appreciated them this winter round the lanes of Derbyshire!
climo

Post by climo »

Alport wrote:The Mondials are tough, but if you're going to be mostly on road then they are slower. Schwalbe Supremes are good on road and reasonably resilient, but not so good in mud! Thorn Cycles also warn that Mondials really only come into their own on tough off road touring. Mind you, I've appreciated them this winter round the lanes of Derbyshire!

Thorn reckons I should fit Duremes as they're the best mixed usage touring tyre in their opinion. I'm certainly swayed by their knowledge.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

climo wrote:
Alport wrote:The Mondials are tough, but if you're going to be mostly on road then they are slower. Schwalbe Supremes are good on road and reasonably resilient, but not so good in mud! Thorn Cycles also warn that Mondials really only come into their own on tough off road touring. Mind you, I've appreciated them this winter round the lanes of Derbyshire!

Thorn reckons I should fit Duremes as they're the best mixed usage touring tyre in their opinion. I'm certainly swayed by their knowledge.

Have you looked at Halo Twin Rail tyres,they get good reports.
W H Auden
climo

Post by climo »

Not considered the Halo but I'll research them. Do you use them?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

The Dureme is no longer listed on the Schwalbe UK web site or in the 2017 catalogue.I wonder what the replacement is meant to be.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

climo wrote:Not considered the Halo but I'll research them. Do you use them?

No but I've met a couple of people who do and like them as an alrounder tyre.They look like they'd roll well on tarmac with enough tread for tracks,forest trails and bridleways.
Other options are Schwalbe LandCruisers,though a budget tyre from persoanl experience they perform well on and off road but won't last anywhere as long as XR or Mondials,but they're as cheap as chips.
Schwalbe Marathons,good all round tyre.
W H Auden
climo

Post by climo »

UpWrong wrote:The Dureme is no longer listed on the Schwalbe UK web site or in the 2017 catalogue.I wonder what the replacement is meant to be.

Yes, I wondered that too. It's possible the SJS bought up a shed load but I don't think so as they are recommended in their catalogue which I think predates Schwalbe discontinuing them.
The Halo's & Landcruiser both look ok but due to a old hand injury and the resulting compromised dexterity it takes me much longer than it should to fix a puncture hence the XR / Mondial choice. I need something which doesn't often puncture. I doubt if they fit my criteria.
Marathons are 1100gm whereas the dureme's are about 800gm so quite a difference.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

climo wrote:Marathons are 1100gm whereas the dureme's are about 800gm so quite a difference.
A kilogram plus. :shock: Flywheel energy storage device?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

What width are we talking about, 35c (37mm)?
climo

Post by climo »

UpWrong wrote:What width are we talking about, 35c (37mm)?

2 inch. Too wide for many but right for me.
climo

Post by climo »

MikeF wrote:
climo wrote:Marathons are 1100gm whereas the dureme's are about 800gm so quite a difference.

Marathon figures are from the Schwalbe site. Even Mondials are lighter. Think I got the Dureme rates from a review.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

climo wrote:
MikeF wrote:

Marathon figures are from the Schwalbe site. Even Mondials are lighter. Think I got the Dureme rates from a review.

I think you've been looking at Marathon Plus,Ordinary Marathons are much lighter,though still heavier than Duremes
Big Apples are easy to fit/remove due to the flexible sidewalls and roll very well too.
W H Auden
climo

Post by climo »

reohn2 wrote:
climo wrote:
MikeF wrote:A kilogram plus. :shock: Flywheel energy storage device?

I think you've been looking at Marathon Plus,Ordinary Marathons are much lighter,though still heavier than Duremes
Big Apples are easy to fit/remove due to the flexible sidewalls and roll very well too.

You're right, it was Marathon Pluses. I was thinking of the no punctures angle. I've got some Big Apples and they are a good tyre but aren't as good at gravel roads as the Duremes. It's swings and roundabouts, there's no perfect tyre.
I've ordered the Duremes - time will tell.