CTC's Crash Kit app

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mark a.
Posts: 1320
Joined: 8 Jan 2007, 2:47pm
Location: Surrey

CTC's Crash Kit app

Postby mark a. » 23 Feb 2017, 10:33pm

I have CTC's Crash Kit app on my iPhone. Luckily I've never needed to use it and hope I never will, but every so often I open it to see if it still has my information etc.

This time iOS told me that the app is old and runs slow and the developer needs to update it. But I see from the app store that it hasn't been updated since 2013.

Is it fair to assume that it's dead and gone? Or has anyone heard whether it might get updated at some point? In theory it's a useful app since it would handhold me to ensure that I get enough information at the scene of a crash, at a time when I'm not going to be at my best mental capacity.

Psamathe
Posts: 7517
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: CTC's Crash Kit app

Postby Psamathe » 23 Feb 2017, 10:56pm

mark a. wrote:I have CTC's Crash Kit app on my iPhone. Luckily I've never needed to use it and hope I never will, but every so often I open it to see if it still has my information etc.

This time iOS told me that the app is old and runs slow and the developer needs to update it. But I see from the app store that it hasn't been updated since 2013.

Is it fair to assume that it's dead and gone? Or has anyone heard whether it might get updated at some point? In theory it's a useful app since it would handhold me to ensure that I get enough information at the scene of a crash, at a time when I'm not going to be at my best mental capacity.

CTC do not understand that software needs maintenance. They pay for development then think that's the end but in practice what happens is that Operating systems and devices move on and CTC end-up with an app that no longer works (properly).

I did offer to volunteer to help them in this regard (with advice, reviewing what they needed, whatever would help them keep their initial investment useful and working, etc.). But true to form CTC didn't even bother to respond to my e-mails.

Ian

mark a.
Posts: 1320
Joined: 8 Jan 2007, 2:47pm
Location: Surrey

Re: CTC's Crash Kit app

Postby mark a. » 24 Feb 2017, 10:37pm

Thanks for trying, Psamathe. If nothing else, they should want to update it to CyclingUK branding. I wonder what the story is behind the app. It looks like something they paid for a one-time external developer to create it, then decided it was job done.

Psamathe
Posts: 7517
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: CTC's Crash Kit app

Postby Psamathe » 24 Feb 2017, 10:43pm

mark a. wrote:Thanks for trying, Psamathe. If nothing else, they should want to update it to CyclingUK branding. I wonder what the story is behind the app. It looks like something they paid for a one-time external developer to create it, then decided it was job done.

I seems to be the way they work with apps. Can't expect everybody to understand about bespoke/specialised software development but to effectively ignore/reject offers of volunteer assistance....

But my offer was more targeted at they Fill that Hole app (pothole/hazard reporting). That did the same in that Apple predictably released a new iOS and they didn't even notice it was no longer working properly. They should have been "on-the-case" (or had people on-the-case) as Apple do lots of pre-releases of iOS versions to developers so that this sort of problem does not happen.

They did then get more money from DoT and spent that on getting it working properly again - but it was not functioning properly for quite a long time.

Ian

Edwards
Posts: 5957
Joined: 16 Mar 2007, 10:09pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: CTC's Crash Kit app

Postby Edwards » 26 Feb 2017, 11:04am

It was probably some sort of grant to set it up, in the time before the charity stuff.

The people who knew about the app were probably got rid off so the new owners do not know what was started before the take over.

Pluss the cost would impinge on employing more charity specialists.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 12196
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent

Re: CTC's Crash Kit app

Postby gaz » 26 Feb 2017, 11:43am

Edwards wrote:It was probably some sort of grant to set it up, in the time before the charity stuff.

The CTC became a Charity in June 2012. The Crash Kit app was launched December 2013.

The app forms part of CTC/CDF's Road Justice campaign, which is supported by Slater and Gordon. I cannot confirm the funding sources but since the app allows direct reporting of your incident details to S&G a commercial interest seems likely.

Edwards wrote:The people who knew about the app were probably got rid off so the new owners do not know what was started before the take over.

CTC became a Charity before the app was launched. What takeover has occured since the app was launched?
Edwards wrote:Pluss the cost would impinge on employing more charity specialists.

If the costs of the app were funded by S&G as a commercial venture then I would only expect funding of ongoing maintenance and support if has proved to be a commercial success*.

If, as you initially suggested, it was grant funded then the income from such grants is "ring fenced" to delivery of the project.

In any case I know nothing of the costs of maintaining such an app, how many "charity specialists" do you think could be employed for the same money?



*Whilst financial success may not be the sole criteria on which this would be judged by S&G it seems reasonable to assume it is on the list.
It's got nothing to do with vorsprung durch technic you know ...

thirdcrank
Posts: 24297
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: CTC's Crash Kit app

Postby thirdcrank » 26 Feb 2017, 11:51am

mark a. wrote: ... Is it fair to assume that it's dead and gone? Or has anyone heard whether it might get updated at some point? In theory it's a useful app since it would handhold me to ensure that I get enough information at the scene of a crash, at a time when I'm not going to be at my best mental capacity.


The only way to find out is by contacting what I still refer to as Headquarters. While there's always the possibility that somebody on here will know but there's no particular reason why they should. You can't beat the horse's mouth. (And if nobody at HQ can tell you, that might be because it's a cycling rather than equestrian charity :wink: )

It may be of course that if they don't spend a lot of time monitoring something like this that they are unaware of the problem so letting them know might be the first step in getting it sorted. :D

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 12196
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent

Re: CTC's Crash Kit app

Postby gaz » 26 Feb 2017, 4:44pm

thirdcrank wrote:The only way to find out is by contacting what I still refer to as Headquarters. ... You can't beat the horse's mouth.

Image
:wink:
It's got nothing to do with vorsprung durch technic you know ...

rjb
Posts: 2308
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 10:25am
Location: Somerset (originally 60/70's Plymouth)

Re: CTC's Crash Kit app

Postby rjb » 26 Feb 2017, 5:01pm

About time the staff got off their high horse :lol:

mark a.
Posts: 1320
Joined: 8 Jan 2007, 2:47pm
Location: Surrey

Re: CTC's Crash Kit app

Postby mark a. » 19 Sep 2017, 11:15pm

To resurrect this thread, I've just updated my iPhone to iOS 11 and, to no surprise, the CTC Crash Kit app no longer works. iOS tells me that the developer needs to update the app.

I never did get round to bother emailing HQ before, so I've sent an email now. I assume I won't get a useful answer, but you never know.

Psamathe
Posts: 7517
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: CTC's Crash Kit app

Postby Psamathe » 20 Sep 2017, 9:51am

mark a. wrote:To resurrect this thread, I've just updated my iPhone to iOS 11 and, to no surprise, the CTC Crash Kit app no longer works. iOS tells me that the developer needs to update the app......

iOS 11 real shock. Nobody ever expected it. Most people (or CUK) expected iOS to stay at 10 forever. These darned computer companies dropping surprises on everybody without warning.

CTC/CUK have been told that software needs "maintaining" (I even offered to help on a volunteer basis, but they didn't even bother to reply). It makes the initial investment a complete waste of money when the product life is cut short through lack of maintenance.

Ian


Return to “Does anyone know … ?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests