Complete Beginner

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
KidwHybrid

Complete Beginner

Post by KidwHybrid »

Hey all

New to the forum and I'm looking for a bit of advice really before I go and buy my 1st bike in 15 years. I have been to various websites and stores and can't really get any advice that I can follow. I've been told to open up numerous tabs and compare parts etc however when I'm doing this I'm seeing parts lists without having any idea if they are any good and which is better. I'm looking at a hybrid as even though I'll be using it mostly on cycle paths I have horses which I'd prefer to cycle to see daily and the country tracks aren't the smoothest. My budget is £400-£600 but could stretch for the right bike. The websites I have been using have told me I should be looking at getting a small frame as I'm 5'7" with a 29" inside leg however the Giant Roam 2 I tried in the store fit nicely in a medium. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Scott
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Complete Beginner

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Ignore the parts list.
Frame size is only reference to seat tube length.
But with a slopping top tube I am guessing that their S-M-L is the virtual seat tube.
Most importantly is of course reach for comfortable riding.

29" inside leg means your upper body is a bit long, short legs.
Possible that you could go medium, so if you feel comfortable I would certainly go medium.
Contemporary type of bike today, you get your money's worth, it has all the features.
Looks like rear rack compatible, front mudguard may need "P" clips to mount a long mudguard?
From what I gather thetyres are block pattern type so no need to change them?
For your use a 26" wheeled MTB would do it fine but its where to try,

I feel someone posted the other day with a similar bike for a bit less?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
KidwHybrid

Post by KidwHybrid »

I quite like the Scott Sub Cross 40 2017 on Treadz which is about £100 cheaper but don't know if the M frame would be the same as the Giant M frame and they don't stock any Scott cycles in my local stores for me to try and get a fit. Also wouldn't know if the bike suffers too much in quality compared to the Giant hence the cheaper price.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Get to somewhere where you can try some bikes for size, somewhere that has a range if you can, thinking Evans / Decathlon maybe even Specialized Concept store.. where you can ride around the car park or similar.. (often someone trying a bike by riding around in a Decathlon store)
If starting out imho Decathlon offer some decent bang for buck.
Don't get bogged down on comparison sights unless you understand what everything does, etc.....
I, luckily, had the option of riding on a friends spare bike when i first started, that way i heard what everyone else was discussing regarding bikes, frames, kit, learnt how to use the bike, the gears etc., and began to formulate my own opinions on what worked for me etc.....
You can get a bike, learn how it works, and start from there for when you want to change parts and components.

I would however certainly consider; Mudguards... yes I know working with horses is not a clean job, but do you want to add to it by having a muddy / oily / wet streak up your back and clothes.
Will you be carrying kit, and how? Much better if it can be on the bike not your back.
Lights?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
pwa

Post by pwa »

Firstly, well done on identifying the right style of bike for you. I'd have suggested some sort of hybrid for your needs. Secondly, your budget sounds realistic. My own inclination would be to spend more towards the upper end of your range to get better, more reliable parts. And learn how to maintain them so that they will last a long time. Get two bike pumps. A small one to carry with you in case of punctures, and a "track pump" to keep at home for really quick and effortless pumping up of the tyres. Struggling with a small pump makes no sense at home.

The best guide to size is sitting on the bike and riding it. If you find your bottom sliding off the back of the saddle the frame may be too small.