Can anyone help with insurance please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
lkjermy2103

Can anyone help with insurance please

Post by lkjermy2103 »

I am attempting to sort out bike insurance for my husbands newish bike. He has an electric bike and I cannot put it on the home insurance or use motor insurance companies. I started to go through a form with cycleguard and checked reviews before finalising which were not particularly favourable, stating small print not covering certain things. I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?? He has an electric bike that was only £799 (I say only as I thought this was alot but now realise they go into their 1000's lol), he just uses it to go to and from work (approx 15 min ride), stores it in a cupboard at work and keeps it locked to a ladder in the garage at home. Recommendations will be very much appreciated, thank you in advance :)
gaz

Re: Can anyone help with insurance please

Post by gaz »

Butterworth Spengler provide the Cycling UK/CTC "members only" cycle insurance and similarly badged "members only" services for London Cycle Campaign, Sustrans and others.

They also provide "CycleSure" to anyone and everyone.

Please note that gaz is not FCA regulated and cannot assess individual needs for insurance. You will not receive advice or recommendations from gaz about them. Read the information on the relevant website carefully to decide which policy suits your requirements. If you are still unsure, direct your enquiries to your chosen insurance providers. Other providers and policies may be available. Posted on a forum that contains track nuts and cannot be guaranteed track nut free. Do not dry clean.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

lkjermy2103 wrote:I am attempting to sort out bike insurance for my husbands newish bike. He has an electric bike and I cannot put it on the home insurance or use motor insurance companies. I started to go through a form with cycleguard and checked reviews before finalising which were not particularly favourable, stating small print not covering certain things. I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?? He has an electric bike that was only £799 (I say only as I thought this was alot but now realise they go into their 1000's lol), he just uses it to go to and from work (approx 15 min ride), stores it in a cupboard at work and keeps it locked to a ladder in the garage at home. Recommendations will be very much appreciated, thank you in advance :)

If he doesn't leave it anywhere where it's likely to be stolen, why bother with insurance?
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

fastpedaller wrote:
lkjermy2103 wrote:I am attempting to sort out bike insurance for my husbands newish bike. He has an electric bike and I cannot put it on the home insurance or use motor insurance companies. I started to go through a form with cycleguard and checked reviews before finalising which were not particularly favourable, stating small print not covering certain things. I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?? He has an electric bike that was only £799 (I say only as I thought this was alot but now realise they go into their 1000's lol), he just uses it to go to and from work (approx 15 min ride), stores it in a cupboard at work and keeps it locked to a ladder in the garage at home. Recommendations will be very much appreciated, thank you in advance :)

If he doesn't leave it anywhere where it's likely to be stolen, why bother with insurance?

Liability (my dog isn't insured but I still make sure I have liability insurance, needless to say I once lived in Germany!)
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

Doesn't CUK membership include 3rd party liability? I might have to rethink my membership if it doesn't.

Or do you have other requirements?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Does normal cycle insurance cover electric bikes ? (is an electric bike the same as a e-bike ?).

I would assume that such words and their exact meanings might be important to insurers (if they have different meanings or risks).

Ian
meic

Post by meic »

You would assume that if they have written nothing to the contrary they will be bound by the legal definition which would assumedly include electric bikes.
Of course if the bikes have been actually named, rather than a general "any bike" policy, they will not have any wiggle room.
Yma o Hyd
gaz

Post by gaz »

Ruadh495 wrote:Doesn't CUK membership include 3rd party liability?

Cycling UK Third Party Insurance
... Cycling UK members are automatically covered up to £10 million by this policy ...

Please note that gaz is not FCA regulated and cannot assess individual needs for insurance. You will not receive advice or recommendations from gaz about them. Read the information on the relevant website carefully to decide which policy suits your requirements. If you are still unsure, direct your enquiries to your chosen insurance providers. Other providers and policies may be available. Posted on a forum that contains track nuts and cannot be guaranteed track nut free. Do not dry clean.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Psamathe wrote:Does normal cycle insurance cover electric bikes ? (is an electric bike the same as a e-bike ?).

I would assume that such words and their exact meanings might be important to insurers (if they have different meanings or risks).

Looking at the CycleSure policy from Butterworth Spengler:
Cycle
Any bicycle, tricycle, tandem or recumbent including upgraded parts and components and equipment fixed to your cycle, which is your own property or for which you are legally responsible and which is normally kept at the address shown in the schedule. The cycle must be driven only by human pedal power or electric battery and must not be powered in such a way that it is subject to the requirements of the Road Traffic Act.

The same policy has exclusions for radioactive contamination so anything powered by di-lithium crystals is probably out :wink: .

Please note that gaz is not FCA regulated and cannot assess individual needs for insurance. You will not receive advice or recommendations from gaz about them. Read the information on the relevant website carefully to decide which policy suits your requirements. If you are still unsure, direct your enquiries to your chosen insurance providers. Other providers and policies may be available. Posted on a forum that contains track nuts and cannot be guaranteed track nut free. Do not dry clean. Always read the small print.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Cycle insurance, other than as a part of home insurance, is typically 10% of the bike value per year.

Insurance companies are in business to make money, so on average it costs you less to just take the hit if the bike is stolen or otherwise wrecked than to pay the insurance. I've certainly spent a lot less over the years by not insuring my bikes, even if such things as multi-bike policies exist.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

andrew_s wrote:Cycle insurance, other than as a part of home insurance, is typically 10% of the bike value per year....

complete guess but I'd expect the lower priced bikes to have premiums at a higher rate. Reason for my guess is that insurance company has several different costs in providing an insurance policy e.g. cost to give quote, take payment, issue policy paperwork, etc. and then the cost to pay out should a claim be made. The cost to quote/take payment/issue paperwork (admin/telesales) will be pretty much the same whatever the value of the bike. So insure a £200 bike at 10% and you've probably made a loss before your even complete the admin paperwork, let alone covered any claim.

Ian
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I'll make a sweeping generalisation here. If course value is in relationship to your income, but possibly owners of a very expensive bike may be more inclined to be more careful. Certainly I doubt the owners of a 200 quid bike spend that much on one of these super tough chains. Possibly cheaper bikes, to a point, might be more likely to be pinched.
To the OP, have you asked your house insurer?
gaz

Post by gaz »

mattsccm wrote:... To the OP, have you asked your house insurer?

lkjermy2103 wrote:I am attempting to sort out bike insurance for my husbands newish bike. He has an electric bike and I cannot put it on the home insurance ...
lkjermy2103

Post by lkjermy2103 »

Thank you everyone for your comments it gives me alot to look into. We just wanted an insurance if it gets stolen, although £799 may not be alot to some we would struggle to be able to afford to replace it. Also liability is something I thought would be a good idea. Thank you everyone :-)
broadway

Post by broadway »

Elizabeth_S wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:

Liability (my dog isn't insured but I still make sure I have liability insurance, needless to say I once lived in Germany!)

Most? household policies cover 3rd party liability for cyclists and pets, though I haven't checked the status of electric bikes.