Lidl cycling/other & Camping gear stuff

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sweep

Re: Lidl cycling gear week 23rd -29 March

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote:
Sweep wrote:this is the AA battery one?

yes

You did well.

I popped into another london lidl and they had one left, but at the original price. I bought it though as i quite like it from the brief test on my existing one, it appears to be compatible with smart front light mounts, and i could do with leaving a light at another common cycling base of mine.

Normally I am very wary of stocking up on lights as of course they get better and cheaper with the passage of time. May have to change this philosophy if the bike industry continues its drive to built-in usb.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Sweep wrote:this is the AA battery one?

yes

You did well.

I popped into another london lidl and they had one left, but at the original price. I bought it though as i quite like it from the brief test on my existing one, it appears to be compatible with smart front light mounts, and i could do with leaving a light at another common cycling base of mine.

Normally I am very wary of stocking up on lights as of course they get better and cheaper with the passage of time. May have to change this philosophy if the bike industry continues its drive to built-in usb.

supose depends on shop then - yesterday, saturday, they had one at 30% off in the bargain bin here in Streatham - I nearly got it in case some one here in London would want it. cant see how they can get cheaper than £6? price of a Big Mac meal? These are the first non filament bulb lights ( apart from poundlander cheapies ) I have had and quite impressed by them
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

just done my shopping at lidl streatham ( just south of the Odeon opposte side ) on monday 17th and there are 2 sets of the £5.99 battery lights for £4.20 each also one of those gel saddles at 30% off
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Just been into Lidl-
They have a Li-Ion power bank with a built in solar charger.
Its saying 3.7 volt, 5000 mAh? £9.99
I was under the impression that 3400 mAh was max capacity for this type of battery?

Also a 3W torch with built in power bank, which is actually a 2200 mAh 3.7v 18650 battery.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Just been into Lidl-
I was under the impression that 3400 mAh was max capacity for this type of battery?

Also a 3W torch with built in power bank, which is actually a 2200 mAh 3.7v 18650 battery.

well picked up today a 5000mah powerbank in their odds and sods 30% off section in Streatham for just £4.99 - was £6.99. Will see how long it goes with the lidl lithium front lamp.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
mercalia wrote:
Just been into Lidl-

well picked up today a 5000mah powerbank in their odds and sods 30% off section in Streatham for just £4.99 - was £6.99. Will see how long it goes with the lidl lithium front lamp.

Hi,
As I said I think that 3400 mAh is max for One Battery cell ( the most that can be extracted from one call at present), I presume that there must be more than one cell ?

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-maxim ... 50-battery
Old link says 3600mAh about a year a go?
Edited-

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/blog/bit-ab ... edirect=no
"By now most people know that the Tesla Roadster is powered by Lithium ion (Li-ion) batteries. But here are a few things about our batteries you might not have heard. Our battery system – or Energy Storage System, as we like to call it – is comprised of 6,831 individual Li-ion cells. It's roughly the size of a storage trunk and weighs about 900 pounds"
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mercalia wrote:
Just been into Lidl-

well picked up today a 5000mah powerbank in their odds and sods 30% off section in Streatham for just £4.90 - was £6.99. Will see how long it goes with the lidl lithium front lamp.

well well well. On max power thats 40 lumens I got 11.5 hours yep 11.5 hours on MAX. So goodness what on the other settings :D Thats the combined powerbank and light. So these little lights do work well with external power banks :D

charging

says it should be done using an external charger ( rather than PC usb?) that gives up to 2.1 amps to fully charge in 3 hours.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

was this set up on the bike mercalia? How did you secure the powerbank?

I really must pay that Lidl of yours a visit - seems to be a treasure trove of extra discounted stuff - not too far from me - have been in it - passed it the other day ignoring its siren calls.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:was this set up on the bike mercalia? How did you secure the powerbank?

I really must pay that Lidl of yours a visit - seems to be a treasure trove of extra discounted stuff - not too far from me - have been in it - passed it the other day ignoring its siren calls.

no wasnt on the bike as tested over night. 11 hrs is a long time... I have a bar bag so would put the power bank in that as I did with the smaller one I got from poundlander - who also have long suitable power cords. I have attached the light to the handle bars drops so is very near to the bar bag any way - well to pick up anything useful you need Streatham Lidl to be your local as often nothing of interest - though I did pick up some coloured glitter glue sticks 8) recently and of course the battery lights at 30% off. When I went yesterday they also had the engraving device going 30% off

I see this weekend sat/sunday they have their coffee £1.99 half price 99p so hope to get a few of them :)
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:charging

says it should be done using an external charger ( rather than PC usb?) that gives up to 2.1 amps to fully charge in 3 hours.

It'll need to be a USB port that follows the latest (2010-) USB Battery Charging Specification rather than the ordinary USB. On a PC, it should be labelled and often it seems to be a lightning bolt. On an external mains-to-USB adapter, you may need to read the label for the amps - I've got at least two which only put >1 Amp on one socket, which may be so you can protect dumb devices designed to be charged from PC USB sockets only and just draw as much power as the PC will give them.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mjr wrote:
mercalia wrote:charging

It'll need to be a USB port that follows the latest (2010-) USB Battery Charging Specification rather than the ordinary USB. On a PC, it should be labelled and often it seems to be a lightning bolt. On an external mains-to-USB adapter, you may need to read the label for the amps - I've got at least two which only put >1 Amp on one socket, which may be so you can protect dumb devices designed to be charged from PC USB sockets only and just draw as much power as the PC will give them.

well I charged the 5000mah bank using an ordinary USB took twice as long 6 hrs rather than the 3 so not a big deal, just glad it does the job. By the way it is a Silvercrest one.
james01

Re: Lidl cycling gear

Post by james01 »

Going way back in this thread to the USB rechargeable lightset (comprising headlamp Article ref. 14129 XC-195A/ Ll 1 , Li Ion 1300 mAh, plus non-rechargeable rear lamp running on 2 x AAAs).... I bought one of these sets in a Lidl remainder bin a few months ago for £5.99 IRC. I'm a dynamo user myself, but it's useful for my wife who is an occasional night-time rider. One of the major disadvantages of this light with sealed internal batteries is that we always need to carry another light as there's no gauge to show remaining battery capacity. Anyway, today I got around to testing the duration of the fully-charged front lamp. On the highest power setting it ran for 4.5 hrs, followed by 1.33 hrs with the red warning light showing, although the light output seemed to be as good as before, so I feel confident in getting 5 hrs safely on the highest power setting. As soon as the light was exhausted I connected a fully-charged pound-shop phone power bank (Item no.H-28662, 1300 mAh), and switched the lamp on to full power again. The lamp ran for a further 2hrs 5 mins.
Conclusion: I now feel happy about setting off on longish night journeys, even if I can't remember the state of charge of my wife's lamp, as long as she's carrying her pound-shop power-bank. Incidentally, the light output and beam pattern is excellent although noticeably inferior to my Busch & Muller Cyo dynamo headlamp.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Now I have used mine for a while I use it as a day light (might be worth something for my safety), and it last longer than first used.
On a low setting it will last all night.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Well I used my battery version of the light on the Dunwich Dynamo and I must say it was a triumph.

Especially at that price.

I left late (very) and switched it on in Epping Forest sometime after 11pm, maybe towards 11.30.

I then ran it on full power and it lasted me until the suffolk dawn, somewhere around 4am.

It was running off 2500 or 2900 rechargeables, nothing too special. If it was the former they would have been lidl, if the latter 7 day shop.

In addition to my city light I had a Hope Vision 1 light mounted by the side of the Lidl light. My light of choice for night riding and I expected to have to switch it on later in the ride. The hope vision 1, a fine light, cists £70 plus.

But apart from a bit of testing I never had to.

The Lidl light lit the road surface just fine and also clearly let drivers know I was there.

Let's hope they don't change it other than to improve it and that they retain the compatibility with Smart Lunar light mounts.

It was mounted on one of those for the entire 115 mile dynamo.

In fact the light sat on that mount for a full 265km and never budged.

Thanks mercalia.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:Well I used my battery version of the light on the Dunwich Dynamo and I must say it was a triumph.

Especially at that price.

I left late (very) and switched it on in Epping Forest sometime after 11pm, maybe towards 11.30.

I then ran it on full power and it lasted me until the suffolk dawn, somewhere around 4am.

It was running off 2500 or 2900 rechargeables, nothing too special. If it was the former they would have been lidl, if the latter 7 day shop.

In addition to my city light I had a Hope Vision 1 light mounted by the side of the Lidl light. My light of choice for night riding and I expected to have to switch it on later in the ride. The hope vision 1, a fine light, cists £70 plus.

But apart from a bit of testing I never had to.

The Lidl light lit the road surface just fine and also clearly let drivers know I was there.

Let's hope they don't change it other than to improve it and that they retain the compatibility with Smart Lunar light mounts.

It was mounted on one of those for the entire 115 mile dynamo.

In fact the light sat on that mount for a full 265km and never budged.

Thanks mercalia.

115 miles you must be superman I can do only 60 miles these days and I dont want to do that even :cry: