Lidl cycling/other & Camping gear stuff

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sweep

Re: Lidl cycling gear

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote:I see lidl have some small vaccum flasks at £4 approx 420ml could be useful in touring or day rides for keeping milk cool to make a cuppa when out, using your wood burner? has a fancy release top and also a small cup to protect the top. I got one so will report back how cool they keep things for how long

Aluminium? I got a nice 350ml steel bottle, wide mouth, for just such a purpose from a chinese supplier. Easy to clean.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

39F 3pm
49F 11pm so an increase of 10F in 8 hrs = not bad on a very hot day like this?
yes have a wide mouth 45mm stainless steel interior. available in a number of patterned exterior - mine just spots
The cap is sophisticated, not just a plug - push the top middle to open and push the side of top to close the top, so no need to take the top off at all to pour. I think a bargain at just £3.99. I am not sure this fancy top makes it a good water bottle on the move as so far I just managed to spill the water all over my self on the ohter hand it does have a cap cum cup so dont matter? :D feels very well made

is the same as my Thermos in dimensions - abuout 25cm tall and 7cm wide.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Just returned from a 12 hr ride (don't ask) kept my lidl front and rear light on.
The front was still lit after 12 hrs, red indicator was just lighting up. Low setting.
Rear with 2 x 950 mAh aaa's (lidl long life, don't buy any other lidl rechargeables) lasted 15 + hours with red indicator on.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Just returned from a 12 hr ride (don't ask) kept my lidl front and rear light on.
The front was still lit after 12 hrs, red indicator was just lighting up. Low setting.
Rear with 2 x 950 mAh aaa's (lidl long life, don't buy any other lidl rechargeables) lasted 15 + hours with red indicator on.

One reason why I dont think dynos are needed these days for atleast urban riding

And the front light ones that charge through a usb meaning you can add a power bank means the skies the limit? When I tried the small one with built in lithium cell and attached a 5000mha power bank got 11.5 hrs at MAX power so goodness know what it would have been at lowest - 35 hrs?
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Which model of Lidl light was this? This one?

NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
USB rechargeable front 1300 mAh and aaa replaceable back. (my post page two)
The model after had a rechargeable usb rear. What capacity was that?
Also if using a power pack the internal is expired first so if you flatten the lot you will have no reserve?
I carried a spare front at 83 grams or so.
2600 mAh lidl power pack is 74 grams.
Not sure how long that would last but at the weight lower that a spare light will probably give more hrs / gram than spare light.

On my ride I used it as a day light (that's another argument).

Can see tha a dyno on a long tour would pay for its self if you also had a reliable usb charge point to back up a battery lamp.

Still to see how the british weather will kill it ?
Some comment on misting up?
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Ah yes. Interesting to see they work well for you. I was riding on Saturday night and the rear light fell off with the attaching bolt now missing. It's good to see that you're having a good experience with this set, but I'm not. (My front light won't charge, though the light works with the charging cable inserted.)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The model after had a rechargeable usb rear. What capacity was that?
Also if using a power pack the internal is expired first so if you flatten the lot you will have no reserve?
I carried a spare front at 83 grams or so.
2600 mAh lidl power pack is 74 grams.
Not sure how long that would last but at the weight lower that a spare light will probably give more hrs / gram than spare light.

On my ride I used it as a day light (that's another argument).

Can see tha a dyno on a long tour would pay for its self if you also had a reliable usb charge point to back up a battery lamp.

Still to see how the british weather will kill it ?
Some comment on misting up?

not sure what you mean, but the power pack expires first, on mine anyway. if you have a big enough power pack it wont expire? I estimate mine on lowest must be more than 24 hrs :shock:

maybe this is the way lights should go -no internal battery just a plug for a power bank? means light last long time, just replace the battery? I keep mine in the bar bag using along cable from poundlander.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Annoying Twit wrote:

Ah yes. Interesting to see they work well for you. I was riding on Saturday night and the rear light fell off with the attaching bolt now missing. It's good to see that you're having a good experience with this set, but I'm not. (My front light won't charge, though the light works with the charging cable inserted.)

sounds like battery dead - shame you cant return for refund as now incomplete, maybe bluff your way through?

I have had my rear light attached to the top of the tube where the seat pin goes and has been secure for some time now, since March it seems
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Annoying Twit wrote:

My rear light was also lost! :(

Perhaps I will complain to Lidl citing you as well.
How long you had the light?
Lidl always cough up I have found.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

My lidl has had a few tiny little 2 led 2 button cell (CR2032) cell rubbery silicon bodied "lights" "not for cycle use" for just £1.79 or abouts. I bought a pair ( red and white for that £) Have 2 flashing modes, not sure what to do with them but seem very bright, claim was very long lasting on flash mode
minature  led lights
minature led lights

I have the full size lidl light set ( not these ones) since March 2017 when I first posted about them
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

I found that the frog lights were good as long as the battery lasts. But, changing the battery is tricky and one became intermittent after I had done so. These were a different design from the ones pictured above. I suppose that £1.79 is cheap enough to use them and then bin them, though that sort of use isn't good for the environment.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Annoying Twit wrote:I found that the frog lights were good as long as the battery lasts. But, changing the battery is tricky and one became intermittent after I had done so. These were a different design from the ones pictured above. I suppose that £1.79 is cheap enough to use them and then bin them, though that sort of use isn't good for the environment.

well I did open one up to see what it us like - not hard just need a bit of brute force - I was was worried about breaking the silicon but it stretched well enoug. If I remember right the bottom lip has to be pulled over the hook - it has 2 button cells inside. I will probably keep as an emergancy light
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Good idea to take a close look at the quality of lights, I did see these and after moving the rubber case around a bit I thought it was a bit suspect on keeping water out.

On rucksacks their 25 L one would make a good hiking day sack, £14.99.
I bought a smaller 15L ? at £9.99 and a ideal size for cycling, to replace my ageing mountain marathon sacks which are always premium price (300-350 grams is normally a mountain marathon sack and up to £70 :? )

Still using my old Beurghause aero day 20L sack for training rides every three days a week after almost 30 years of motorcycling and cycling, unbreakable).

Their work stands recently £19.99, mine gets used three times a week for over two years maybe three and still functions OK, they did change the frame clamp recently?
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:
Annoying Twit wrote:I found that the frog lights were good as long as the battery lasts. But, changing the battery is tricky and one became intermittent after I had done so. These were a different design from the ones pictured above. I suppose that £1.79 is cheap enough to use them and then bin them, though that sort of use isn't good for the environment.

well I did open one up to see what it us like - not hard just need a bit of brute force - I was was worried about breaking the silicon but it stretched well enoug. If I remember right the bottom lip has to be pulled over the hook - it has 2 button cells inside. I will probably keep as an emergancy light

The silicone on that sort of light usually perishes, goes brittle and snaps after a few years of use, in my experience. Then you can extend its life by cable tying it to the bike tight enough that the tie cuts in slightly, as long as it snapped when you were attaching the light rather than cycling along.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.