Lidl cycling/other & Camping gear stuff

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

Lidl cycling/other & Camping gear stuff

Post by mercalia »

incl lights £10 cycle computer £5 2xinner tubes £4 various oils - silicon,chain cleaner, chain oil £2.50 toolkit £5
that was then now prices more like £20 for the lights
Last edited by mercalia on 22 Nov 2019, 4:35pm, edited 9 times in total.
landsurfer

Re: Lidl cycling gear Sunday 12th

Post by landsurfer »

Be careful of both LIDL and ALDI cycle deals ..... I buy Vittoria inner tubes for £1 each from Planet X. And recent cycle clothing "deals" from ALDI where more expensive, and of lesser quality than the bargain ranges from Decathlon, Planet X and Tenn.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Lidl lights are often K marked German LED sets which are very good value. Gt85 and other branded products tend to be the real deal. The rest is a bit hit and miss. I've had great panniers and rubbish jackets over the years.

There are bargains online too but beware the delivery charges and thresholds.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Lidl clothing is superior to Aldi from what I've seen, still using a long sleeve winter top from 10 years ago and their summer long sleeve jerseys fit a 47/48" chest but in a decent athletic fit in proportion.
Not many of the big labels do that and certainly nowhere near the price. that particular garment is so good I recently bought two identical ones from ebay for a couple of quid less, wash superbly well and very hard wearing, don't know if the latest gear is the same mind.

They used to do a really good MTB/utility SPD shoes a few years back, again very hard wearing, a good fit and comfortable. I paid £15 in store, one of the best bargains.
lights and other stuff, meh.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

The shoes from both stores seem OK ...
But only come in children's sizes .....
10 and under :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I have had mixed deals from both.
Some excellent and still using several years later.
Gone are the times when Lidl Torquay did bargain boxes of panniers for £3 etc.
Cycle work stand £10, sold it on ebay £30, they sell for £25 now.
I did buy a K marked light set with a li-ion front light, lasts about 10 hrs :)
But you will not find them anywhere now.

Its a pity that one of them don't sort some good gear for sale all the time, A bit of thought and they would clean up.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Looking at the list of items on offer, I'm slightly underwhelmed.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?id=1092
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well I might get the cycle computer? thats ok?

it is a simple wired one I think
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I bought this light set last year.

The front light is very bright, on the brightest setting it is easily bright enough for me to see where I am going on unlit lanes and roads. It throws out a wide beam of light across the whole road as well as lighting up the road ahead.

On the lowest setting it is bright enough for town riding.

The rear light is OK, but nothing special.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
That cycle light is the one I have ( I have not road tested it yet but has a better brighter light even on the low setting than the one I use through the night, I think you need some experience in all night riding TBO,) and on low lasts 10 hrs.
Guaranteed 3 Yrs, workmanship.

The rest yes is not so desirable, but the saddle IF they stock the slimmer ones might be worth a look.
I originally bought a Selle Gel Royal saddle from lidl many moons a go, I swear by them £9.99 now discontinued but crop up at aldi.
I use these saddle for my 250 + mile day rides and they are remarkable for the money, only down side is that you could wear one out in two years but at £9.99 I just buy several.

Ah I see someone else like the front light, the 10 hour run time on low is a boon.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Don't have a pic of that saddle by any chance natural ankling?

I'm a great believer in saddles being one of those bike bits where the most expensive is the best. There's a lot of unecessary developoment. My favourite saddle, now discontinued or I'd be sorted for life, cost £15.

EDIT: should have read "I'm a great believer in saddles being one of those bike bits where the most expensive is NOT NECESSARILY the best."

sorry for the confusion.
Last edited by Sweep on 8 Mar 2017, 4:26am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PS - what's the mount like on that light?

I don't like bikes with integrated batteries but if it's that good for full night rides it might be worth considering.

But as long as the mount isn't cheese - for replacement ones won't, I assume, be available separately, and will probably be discontinued anyway - hence me leaning towards standardisation with these things.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Gone are the times when Lidl Torquay did bargain boxes of panniers for £3 etc. [...]
I did buy a K marked light set with a li-ion front light, lasts about 10 hrs :)
But you will not find them anywhere now.

I've some old Lidl boxy double panniers still in use - I think they may have been among the bargain sets but I've not seen them for ages. This offer's K-marked lights look the same as the one I bought last time for the non-dynamo road bikes and seem pretty good, as mentioned. There's nothing particularly attractive to me in this set of offers, though.

The mounts seem to be proprietary slide and click rails with a plastic tab you push down to release - I think I've almost a full set of Cateye mounts and various Axa/Basta ones and it doesn't fit any of them. It's not cheese but who knows how long it will last?

As well as having a fairly good runtime - 2.5h@40lux, 5h@20lux, 10h@10lux - the USB power port on the front light is accessible and I'd expect a power pack would deliver enough to keep the light lit on the two lower settings but I've not tried it yet - so the front light may not be completely junk when the internal battery dies. I'll try it out if anyone's interested...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Sweep wrote:PS - what's the mount like on that light?

I don't like bikes with integrated batteries but if it's that good for full night rides it might be worth considering.

But as long as the mount isn't cheese - for replacement ones won't, I assume, be available separately, and will probably be discontinued anyway - hence me leaning towards standardisation with these things.

Thee mount seems OK to me, very solid and secure.

The rear light mount worried me as it is secured by a very small plastic hook which fits through a hole in a plastic band which goes round the seat post. But I've had no problem even while riding on rough ground.

For £10, considering how bright the front light is, and that it has USB charging, the set is a bargain.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

the USB is actually a downside for me (ah the assumption that it's the bee's knees! :) ) but I'll take a look on Thursday. Thanks for the reply.

By the bye, it must have a better beam pattern if it's better than the Smart Lunar 60 for it doesn't match its 60 lux.
Sweep