Lidl cycling/other & Camping gear stuff

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sweep

Re: Lidl cycling gear

Post by Sweep »

You aren't by any chance the attractive young blond woman who told me I was a hero on the final run into Dunwich?

Actually it was 165 miles of cycling by the time i bivvied down on a verge near caister/great yarmouth on sunday evening.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

no
at lidl streatham over week end got 3 pairs of their so called "sweat shorts" for only £4.20 each reduced from £7 with their 30% off deal in their junk bin. I thought might be useful cycling in as reasonably thick and close fitting. certainly nice to wear in general and quite warm as not simple cotton as in jeans m#ore what track suits are made off. So a good deal. Their sizing is rubbish these were XL XXl maybe why un sold but in reality not that at all.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Taunton Lidl's have 28" (700c) innertubes at half price. Twin pack for £1.99. Schrader valve only. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I see Lidl have some cycling gear back in - the stands at £25, but the lithium cycle light set now £13 where once was £10? Glad I bought my lights when I did. Even if bargin bin reduced would be more than the £10 previously?
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:I see Lidl have some cycling gear back in - the stands at £25, but the lithium cycle light set now £13 where once was £10? Glad I bought my lights when I did. Even if bargin bin reduced would be more than the £10 previously?

I think this is yet another different version because it claims to be "auto adjusting". I don't think I want that, but if you've not got any legal lights, it could be good.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes. I think the best version was the one I got two of - aa batteries. I don't need a light to tell me how dark it is or whether I am in town or country.

Pointless "improvement" has hit even lidl stuff.
Sweep
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Front light with integrated Li-Ion battery (1300 mAh) max. light duration 10 hrs
Rear light with integrated Li-Ion battery (300mAh) max. light duration: 3-6 hrs

I do wonder why the batteries in the front and rear lights, in a set of lights, aren't designed to last the same length of time.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Postboxer wrote:Front light with integrated Li-Ion battery (1300 mAh) max. light duration 10 hrs

I do wonder why the batteries in the front and rear lights, in a set of lights, aren't designed to last the same length of time.

oh the rear is now inbuilt lithium? - the previous was 2 aa 's
bad move dead end.

seems like later isnt better. glad i got a few sets at the time of the originals
james01

Post by james01 »

Postboxer wrote:Front light with integrated Li-Ion battery (1300 mAh) max. light duration 10 hrs

I've got the previous Li-Ion set, with AAAs in the rear light and non-automatic front light, but it looks just the same as the current model. Good front light which holds its charge well, the downside is some water ingress after heavy downpours leading to internal misting.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

its a shame they didnt upgrade the lithium battery to say 2000mah then it would have been a real winner
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:its a shame they didnt upgrade the lithium battery to say 2000mah then it would have been a real winner

Yeah, it'd be almost the same capacity as my light that takes standard replaceable rechargeable batteries :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mjr wrote:
mercalia wrote:its a shame they didnt upgrade the lithium battery to say 2000mah then it would have been a real winner

Yeah, it'd be almost the same capacity as my light that takes standard replaceable rechargeable batteries :lol:

well the laugh is on you as atleast the old lithium front light uses a usb charger and you can plug in a storage bank of any size you want to extend the lights time - I have an external 5000mah bank & I get 11.5 hrs at MAX output :lol: :wink: Still the light should have had a larger internal battery to deal with cell aging, 1300mah is very stingy these days, Poundlander has such a size power bank for just £1.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:
mjr wrote:

well the laugh is on you as atleast the old lithium front light uses a usb charger and you can plug in a storage bank of any size you want to extend the lights time - I have an external 5000mah bank & I get 11.5 hrs at MAX output :lol: :wink: Still the light should have had a larger internal battery to deal with cell aging, 1300mah is very stingy these days, Poundlander has such a size power bank for just £1.

And I can plug in spare batteries of any size to extend the light time, without the drawback of charging one battery from another over USB which tends to be very inefficient with all the conversions between 3.7 and 5 volts and back.

The Lidl rechargeable lights are better than some in that at least they'll run while USB powered, but it's still not much of a move forwards from where we were when LEDs started getting brighter. I wish they'd focus on ease of use and stop skimping on capacity to get the weight down.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I see lidl have some small vaccum flasks at £4 approx 420ml could be useful in touring or day rides for keeping milk cool to make a cuppa when out, using your wood burner? has a fancy release top and also a small cup to protect the top. I got one so will report back how cool they keep things for how long
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Simples.
Get/use the one which takes AA rechargeables. Choose your own batteries.
Sweep