Lidl cycling/other & Camping gear stuff

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pete75

Re: Lidl cycling & Camping gear April 2018 update

Post by pete75 »

Bourne Lidl today a pack of two inner tubes £1.99. It says on the box they are guaranteed for 3 years.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

mercalia wrote: an interesting 5000mah power bank with built in solar charger - what do people think of that?
Save your money. I bought one last year. The array only charges under the most direct sunlight, and then at a rate that seems incapable of anywhere near fully charging the battery. Into the recycling the various parts went in very short order.
james01

Re: Lidl cycling gear March 2018 update

Post by james01 »

since you have been using them for some time how has the battery held up over rechargeing? as we all know they lose capacity over time and recharging. its a shame they didnt increase the mah of the battery, as the increase from 40 to 50 must mean less time?

I'm mostly a dynamo user so don't use these rechargeables much, but I've not noticed any capacity loss yet. In case of an extended night ride I've tested it with a mobile phone battery pack from a pound shop which gave 2 hours extra on full power and still running.

Just discovered a significant difference between these newer rechargeables and the almost identical older models: the old one continues to work when connected to an external power source, whether it be a battery pack or wall socket. The new one doesn't, the light extinguishes as soon as power is detected at the charging input . This could be a real problem for anyone relying on using an external battery pack on a long night ride.
mercalia

Re: Lidl cycling gear March 2018 update

Post by mercalia »

since you have been using them for some time how has the battery held up over rechargeing? as we all know they lose capacity over time and recharging. its a shame they didnt increase the mah of the battery, as the increase from 40 to 50 must mean less time?

I'm mostly a dynamo user so don't use these rechargeables much, but I've not noticed any capacity loss yet. In case of an extended night ride I've tested it with a mobile phone battery pack from a pound shop which gave 2 hours extra on full power and still running.

Just discovered a significant difference between these newer rechargeables and the almost identical older models: the old one continues to work when connected to an external power source, whether it be a battery pack or wall socket. The new one doesn't, the light extinguishes as soon as power is detected at the charging input . This could be a real problem for anyone relying on using an external battery pack on a long night ride.

you are talking about the Lidl front and rear light set that have lithium batteries in them and charge thru a usb cable? if what you say is true thats shocking and really renders them more or less useless, as the ability to run them from an external powerbank was the previous verions redeeming feature. If I have understood this correct will some one else who bought this years versions confirm this
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Have just tried mine bought a few weeks ago and can confirm that it is true.

Plugged my front into my Anker Powerbank and it switched off.

In the short term maybe not a mega problem for me - I can use it until it runs out and then pop the Lidl 4xAA battery light onto the same mount.

But it will become an issue as the battery ages - the option to then run it from a powerbank would be handy.

Haven't yet used mine on the bike but on reflection the positioning of the USB input on the light might have made running it from a powerbank a bit problematical. Wouldn't have been the easiest path for the lead.

Guess this underlines the inherent problems of USB lights - at least I only bought a Lidl one and not a gee-whizz branded one.

I bought mine as an emergency light really for touring when my AA light run down and I can't get to a wall socket for a day or so - can recharge these lights from my powerbank in the tent.

For that application they may serve me well for a few years.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I think it may be worth contacting lidl and reporting this behaviour? suggesting they revert to the previous model? if enough people contact them they may think again? It is a very serious negative point in my opinion
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Lidl cycling gear

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
USB rechargeable front 1300 mAh and aaa replaceable back. (my post page two)
The model after had a rechargeable usb rear. What capacity was that?
Also if using a power pack the internal is expired first so if you flatten the lot you will have no reserve?
I carried a spare front at 83 grams or so.
2600 mAh lidl power pack is 74 grams.
Not sure how long that would last but at the weight lower that a spare light will probably give more hrs / gram than spare light.

On my ride I used it as a day light (that's another argument).

Can see tha a dyno on a long tour would pay for its self if you also had a reliable usb charge point to back up a battery lamp.

Still to see how the british weather will kill it ?
Some comment on misting up?

I normally operate two, one on bike one in the rucksack. Front Lidl Rechargeable light.

The one in the ruck sack would not turn on, eventually it did but not turn off.
Got home and let it run right down so it just stops working.
Charged it up and managed to get it to work again but its on high or off.
The switch clicks but it wont come on (electronic switching I would guess not mechanical moving electric parts?)
Will contact Lidl for what will be warranty, as its more than a year I reckon.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Update-
I finally contacted Lidl UK, and I got the light a few days ago.
Just before that I purchased a set of Ebay same light set.
The front light they sent me under the three year warranty has four switched positions, the first is a sensor light which gets brighter the darker it is, seems to work, not tried it out on the road yet.

I was getting abot 2.5 hours when it was 2-4 C at night on high (having 3 levels).
12 hrs on low, plus the light has a cut off like a dipped beam.

So I have three and always carry one as a spare.
One has a white light. My most used one, bought mar 17.
The second has a slightly yellow light, newer off ebay, not used yet.
The third the sensor light has a yellower light and a deeper beam.
When I get out I will compare the three.
I guess the sensor one has replaced the others
mjr

Post by mjr »

Please post some photos in viewtopic.php?f=5&t=127751 where I've put a few and will more soon.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Today at Lidl, lights set, Price now £19.99 p?
Both rechargeable, front light looks different.
Been using my front light for some time now, I'm quite happy with it.
Anyone brought one of these new type yet?

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl. ... leId=21309

Not so keen on the handlebar mount though?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

i'm also happy with my usb one from the last event and the 4×AA battery one before that. They both cost £10 to £12 from memory and I got my second battery one for not much more than £6.

From a casual online look the new one seems to be a substantially boosted price with no particular advantages.

I will skip it.
Sweep
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Sweep wrote:i'm also happy with my usb one from the last event and the 4×AA battery one before that. They both cost £10 to £12 from memory and I got my second battery one for not much more than £6.

From a casual online look the new one seems to be a substantially boosted price with no particular advantages.

I will skip it.

I don't think it's bad value, in fact it's still excellent value to be fair.
The original rear light was/is garbage, not even 99p worth, the rear light in the new set has a Li-ion battery in it, try find a new rear light that has that with a 3 year warranty from a UK retailer for under a tenner. The front light I think is rated a tad higher than previously and has a bit more tech to it, certainly than the simple three light level mode of mine (which is fine for me).

All that said, the front clamping system is just a big fat no for me, I want a stout screwed down clamp mount that I can slide on/off the light like the previous model, or as on my Sigma PAVA, a clamp that fits to any bar size in 3 seconds tops and can be removed in a second or two more, the clamp is absolutely brilliant and tight as a Yorkshireman after payday :lol: I regret not buying another when they were still available, easily the best light I've owned and simple two setting beam (20mph in the dark and 30mph in the dark) that has a very long run time.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Had a look at the lidl light tonight, New package new look different indicator Graphics front light.
Has is the rechargeable rear light As said.
But it's still 1299 with the old Clamp!
Ah...Two different models, the new model but it's different again but does the same thing front Light.
The new model for 1999 has an automatic brake stop rear right light. Chargeable of course.

(Typed with speech)
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Sweep wrote:i'm also happy with my usb one from the last event and the 4×AA battery one before that. They both cost £10 to £12 from memory and I got my second battery one for not much more than £6.

I will skip it.

The original rear light was/is garbage, not even 99p worth, the rear light in the new set has a Li-ion battery in it, try find a new rear light that has that with a 3 year warranty from a UK retailer for under a tenner. The front light I think is rated a tad higher than previously and has a bit more tech to it, certainly than the simple three light level mode of mine (which is fine for me).

?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Witmoving-Bicy ... 01LYV0X91/

I believe I own this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keywell-Rear-B ... 07CWQRG7M/

but in a different brand name as part of a £20 front/rear set.

It is ok but I would not really recommend it unless you just need it for a short journey, as the battery does go flat with little warning.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The utility cyclist wrote:

I will skip it.

All that said, the front clamping system is just a big fat no for me, I want a stout screwed down clamp mount that I can slide on/off the light like the previous model, or as on my Sigma PAVA, a clamp that fits to any bar size in 3 seconds tops and can be removed in a second or two more, the clamp is absolutely brilliant and tight as a Yorkshireman after payday :lol: I regret not buying another when they were still available, easily the best light I've owned and simple two setting beam (20mph in the dark and 30mph in the dark) that has a very long run time.

The original battery rear light, using 2 AAAs is not garbage but rather good having a beam splitter that also splits the light left and right & was very bright shame they replaced it with the tiny lithium thing.

seems like the AA battery lights wont be returning, a shame as they were well made and would last for years, unlike the smaller lithium ones where the lithium cell will degrade over time? Also made a decent hand torch