Lidl cycling & Camping gear April 2019 update

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Lidl cycling gear

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 29 Sep 2017, 8:21pm

Hi,
Just bought a LIDL hair and beard trimmer :)
Its silvercrest and I have had a number of their stuff in the past, 3 year warranty, it has a lion batt, warranty specifies that wear and tear components are not covered.................yep that included batteries.....

I have always had Phillips shavers in the past about four all told and their batts though not modern lion stuff as would have been way back then always lasted well, one about 15 years.

I in the last few years bought my latest Phillips hair and beard trimmer with some shaving attachments, I have not shaved for eon's preferring to sport the hairy look as it saves time and always gives me a rash whatever I use.
Very happy with it.......................then the battery started to play up............ :(

I had registered it at Phillips web site.............just need to find the details....about the time swapping email clients.....computers an new email addresses........found it :)
Extended warranty to three years like lidl stuff just by registering the product.
Struggled to get any where as regards support just going round in circles on the web site, decided to contact them by chat :?
Its always foreign staff :( but managed some chat and the I suppose tech person should have listed faults to fall back on, after explain the dying battery it was suggested the the motor might be turning but it not connected :? I explain the low charge light blinking despite a full charge and they moved to a telcon conversation...................just about got it over with what sounded like south American accent.

NO problem just wanted to know where I bought it, Ebay............ok..........proof of purchase...............sent some screen shots and I think they are happy.
Sent me emails with a return label and after they receive they will replace new :)

I will keep you informed.
Priority Is Still 500K In 24..Just Dreaming...Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp...
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

mercalia

Re: Lidl cycling gear March 2018

Postby mercalia » 16 Mar 2018, 6:56pm

so week end 22nd March is the lidl cycle gear week. Seems like the battery lamps are out and only the lithium ones available at £13 ( were £10?) but the front lamp seems to be 50 rather than 40 other wise the same ; the rear lamp seems to be different. Just glad I bought some of the battery ones last year as they were rather good.

By the way the front lamp last year used pulse mode dimming ie the leds are turned off and on very fast ( so I expect these are the same?) - I notice this when saw the strobe effect on my pc fans

there are the standards available -

helmits, panniers, stands and pumps and chain cleaners

Sweep

Re: Lidl cycling gear March 2018 update

Postby Sweep » 16 Mar 2018, 10:01pm

Thanks mercalia.

Being a big fan of the battery light, may well go for the lithium rechargeable version which I know you have been positive about.
Sweep

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 16 Mar 2018, 10:10pm

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 16 Mar 2018, 10:15pm

Sweep wrote:Thanks mercalia.

Being a big fan of the battery light, may well go for the lithium rechargeable version which I know you have been positive about.

I havent used my lithium ones much as I prefer the battery ones in town. It just that the lithium lamp with a suitable power bank attached can give continuous useage times a battery one can only dream of ? 20, 30 hrs easy on middle or lowest setting

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 17 Mar 2018, 1:19am

Hi,
There is cycling stuff in my local lidl at the mo.
I bought a HRM, although I have several, the older HRM's were great and I had two, probably lasted 8 years or so.
The current ones they do you cannot switch on or off so they are not so clever, maybe someone thought auto on was a good idea, but you then cannot stop until its out of range, take off the chest belt......a pain.

Anyway, I have two front lithium front lights, lost one of the rear because of poor fitting (battery type).
I like the front lights, I normally carry a spare.

Cant justify any more gear as I have two work racks, several rucksacks.......that's just cycling ones.

What I do want is shoes, MTB type, my old Lidl ones are on the way out, these are the really old designs from about over ten years ago.
I want MTB tread shoes with a shallow sole , not thick ones that use clipless pedals, they are not fashionable anymore.

Its a pity that they don't sell cycling stuff all the time with their best stuff...........some of it is not so clever like with Aldi.
Some inner tubes that will fit something...............Robust panniers.............nice cycling tops for winter..........
Priority Is Still 500K In 24..Just Dreaming...Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp...
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 22 Mar 2018, 1:42pm

Turns out that the light has an auto function and from reading the package it doesn't seem to be possible to switch to manual mode.

ie: It decides what light level to run according to some built in sensor.

I mistrust such things.

Something to go wrong and then be unfixable.

I may sometimes want to run the light on a lower setting to conserve the battery - I rather doubt the light is clever enough to know how long it will take me to get to the tent/pub.

Pity.

Why oh why do manufacturers try to make stuff too clever?
Sweep

Pastychomper

Postby Pastychomper » 22 Mar 2018, 2:00pm

Thanks for the warning, Sweep - I'm planning a Lidl outing later and that kind of nonsense might be enough to dissuade me from buying the lights. I suppose if the charging port is robust enough (ha ha) it might be practical to use a battery pack for the unlit sections if it won't let me save power for them.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 22 Mar 2018, 4:35pm

I think people here who care about Lidls cycle gear and esp their lights should contact them and tell them what they think? They do reply. A lady I talked to in my local lidls was put off the idea of the auto funtction. So thats 2 sales they have lost ( Sweeps and this lady ). Auto power means you dont know how much power is left in the battery? So whether you are going to get stuck with no lights? I found even the miniumum power was more than adequate in the town and even in the sticks where there is no street lights ( your eyes adjust ). So let Lidl know we are not amused and see them get :oops:

This is what I sent them

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=11512

well I dont think your latest version of these are any good due to the AUTO POWER FEATURE. I know already 2 people whose sales you have lost due to this expecting the MANUAL POWER SELECTION of the previous model. Any one who does any serious night riding needs to know how many hours are left so they dont get stuck with no lights. People I know who bought the previous model tested the expected hours from each of the settings and even found that the lowest setting was adequate for unlit roads ( your eyes adjust ). So I think you have made a serious mistake in this product - that sort of thing works for hub dynamos but not battery lamps with a CAPTIVE BATTERY.

So PLEASE bring back the original model. And by the way it seems you are not selling the AA battery front lights this year. Again that was a very good light that will be missed. So I think you need to reconsider your cycle lighting line up as I think you have made a BLUNDER

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Contact-Us-4187.htm
Last edited by mercalia on 22 Mar 2018, 5:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 22 Mar 2018, 4:59pm

Pastychomper wrote:Thanks for the warning, Sweep - I'm planning a Lidl outing later and that kind of nonsense might be enough to dissuade me from buying the lights. I suppose if the charging port is robust enough (ha ha) it might be practical to use a battery pack for the unlit sections if it won't let me save power for them.

The thing about the manual low power setting is that you dont need to keep on chargeing the light as you do with Smartphone? It gave about 11 hrs on min power. I think the max power is too bright really even on unlight roads, the beam is quite concentrated not as if it lights up all the surrounds as you might want off road?

birkhead

Postby birkhead » 22 Mar 2018, 10:03pm

Well I have not been in to Lidl since their driver killed Andrew and Toby at the start of their LEJOG about 5 years ago, vide
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=91288#p830608

Pastychomper

Postby Pastychomper » 23 Mar 2018, 9:08am

In the end I decided to take a risk on the lights, being a bit fed up of tying torches onto my bike.

The good news is there is a manual mode: the single button cycles through auto, full, medium, min, off. I am not a fan of this One Button To Rule Them All approach, it's annoying to use and increases wear on the flimsy-looking button, but five clicks instead of four makes no discernible difference to me. Auto mode is controlled via an LDR on the bottom, and is a neat idea as long as it stays optional but I wouldn't choose to pay extra for it.

The battery indicator shines through the rubber button, and the green (at least) is hard to see under artificial light. The lithium cell is rated at 1.3Ah, so I wonder why they bothered - a pair of NiMH AAs would give the same Wh while being easily replaceable, and probably fit in the same case. While I'm at it, the beam is better shaped than anything else I've seen in the price range, but not perfect.

All in all, I think they're good lights for the price, but would be better without the feature-creep.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 23 Mar 2018, 9:27am

Many thanks for that news.

Definitely no way you could figure that it had a manual mode from the sealed packaging.

Agree with your general thoughts on AAs and built in batteries. But may go get one as it may have touring applications for me.

Thanks again.
Sweep

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 23 Mar 2018, 9:33am

Ps pasty.

Is it easy to figure out whether you are in auto mode or one of the manually selected modes? For of course on a ride, if you want to use manual, you would quite often want to switch between low, medium and bigh manual on the move.
Sweep

squeaker

Postby squeaker » 23 Mar 2018, 10:08am

Pastychomper wrote:Auto mode is controlled via an LDR on the bottom, and is a neat idea as long as it stays optional but I wouldn't choose to pay extra for it.
So does the light get brighter or dimmer as the ambient light level increases? I can see arguments for both :roll:
"42"