Frame painting - carriers as well?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pete75

Frame painting - carriers as well?

Post by pete75 »

Will be having a touring frame painted soon. The paintwork on it's Tubus carriers is a bit worse for wear too. It's crossed my mind to get them painted at the same time in the same colour but wouldn't this look a bit precious? Any opinions welcome.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Heltor Chasca

Re: Frame painting - carriers as well?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

A yes from me. I saw an integrated frame on a utility bike once. It looked chipper.
PH

Post by PH »

pete75 wrote:wouldn't this look a bit precious/twatish/anal? Any opinions welcome.

I'm sure it would look that way to some, but it wouldn't stop me. I'm also sure the vast majority of people wouldn't even notice.
Try it yourself - how many of your friends cars have colour coded mirrors?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PH wrote:
pete75 wrote:wouldn't this look a bit precious/twatish/anal? Any opinions welcome.

I'm sure it would look that way to some, but it wouldn't stop me. I'm also sure the vast majority of people wouldn't even notice.

None. They're all the same shiny silver :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PH

Post by PH »

pete75 wrote:
PH wrote:

None. They're all the same shiny silver :wink:

Oh well, maybe it's just me, I wouldn't have a clue if someone asked me that.
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

Why not have them done in silver or black
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I was thinking of doing exactly the same with the rear carrier on my bike - why not have a carrier the same colour as the frame of the bike if that's what you want?
robgul

Post by robgul »

Have to say I think a carrier/rack in the same colour as the bike would make it look "cheap" - have a look at some of the cheapo bikes in Halfords and mass-market (i.e. not cycle enthusiast specific) mail-order suppliers et al

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

hmm, dare I suggest the end result might appeal (or not) depending on the colour?

BTW years ago I saw a Gilles Berthoud touring bike (with centre-pull braze-ons, built-in carriers etc, the full works) all done in an 'old gold' colour, including the carriers, and it looked great. But these carriers were 'part of the bike' rather than just bolted on; for example the rear mudguard was supported by the rear carrier, the front had the lighting built in, etc. If they had been obvious bolt-ons, rather than cohesive parts of the bike, crafted in the same way, it would not have looked so good.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Yep I think I'll leave the carriers as they are in black, though when I have my Moulton painted I'll get carriers done in the same colour - I think it definitely suits them.

mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

As they are removable why not? Cheap and. easy to respray if it doesn't work or sell them and buy new.
If you like them now might be the time to see if they can be made to look more integral to the bike. Racks are often over complicated to allow for universal fitting.