New Bag

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

New Bag

Post by Mick F »

I bought an Altura Arran Expandable bag from Ribble and it arrived this morning.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/altura-ar ... #pid=25362

Thought you'd like a piccy.
Mrs Mick F says the ugly bike looks much better with it! :D
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
malcolmlauder

Re: New Bag

Post by malcolmlauder »

There's nothing ugly about that bike! Love it! What is it?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Moulton TSR.
Gorgeous bike to ride, though a tad hard work on the hills. The suspension tends to adsorb a bit of pedal-power.

I've modified it a bit from the original TSR30.
Mainly the gearing and the gear controls.

http://www.moultonbicycles.co.uk/models/TSR30.html
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've been using one for a good few years and really like it,easily removed and replaced with a saddle pack for shorter rides or swapped over to another bike(with an extra s/post clip*),good sized side pockets,surprisingly large capacity when the bellows is unzipped,plus the cris/cross bungy on top for extra carrying capacity,and very well made.
Good Kit for long day rides :D

*if only I could get a s/post clip large enough to fit my really oversized s/post on my Tern Folder :(
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote: *if only I could get a s/post clip large enough to fit my really oversized s/post on my Tern Folder :(
I would like to fit it on the seat tube rather than the seat post, so I would need a wider clip.

I could have tried it on the seat tube, but the clip isn't "open-able". It's a complete ring with a brass nut riveted in. If I could have got it on the seat tube, I could have got it lower and more in keeping with the small wheels. I think it's just about ok where it is, but another couple of inches lower would be better.

Yes, the bag (and rack) are very high quality, and I love the side pockets and carrying handle. Yes, a day riding will bring it to the fore. I imagine a box of sarnies, a waterproof and an extra base layer. Also, as the day warms up, I can take stuff off and stow it away.

The Moulton lends itself to slower rides, and I can see me riding off for a whole day on it, so the pack is a Good Thing to have.
Mick F. Cornwall
hercule

Post by hercule »

I periodically think about ordering the Moulton day bag and rack for my AM, but they aren't cheap! I have an ancient but capacious Karrimor seat bag (the original Karrimor, so it is quite old) but it's a bit high, being slung from the saddle rails. Something like this might be good, but like you I'd want to mount it lower. It would also have to fit round 34.9mm of seatpost... am I right in thinking TSRs have more conventionally sized seatposts?

BTW, I tried a Carradice SQR Tour and it wagged like the tail of a happy dog...
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

You guys might like my Ortlieb Seatpost bag. Roomy, waterproof, open bracket, internal pockets, top net and choice of colours. Only downside is the price.

https://rodewarrior.files.wordpress.com ... 58_525.jpg

Not my pic but it's clear enough!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
martinn

Post by martinn »

Hi I have a bridge Street bag works really well for me. They have 3 different sizes, but all fit on the same clip.
http://bridgestreet.cc

Martin
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Mick F wrote:
reohn2 wrote: *if only I could get a s/post clip large enough to fit my really oversized s/post on my Tern Folder :(
I would like to fit it on the seat tube rather than the seat post, so I would need a wider clip.

I think the Altura bags use Klickfix mounting hardware, and oversized clamp bands are available https://en.hollandbikeshop.com/bicycle- ... -extender/
PH

Post by PH »

I'd have thought a nice wicker basket would have looked better on a shopper bike :twisted:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:I'd have thought a nice wicker basket would have looked better on a shopper bike :twisted:

?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rualexander wrote:
Mick F wrote:

I think the Altura bags use Klickfix mounting hardware, and oversized clamp bands are available https://en.hollandbikeshop.com/bicycle- ... -extender/

Thanks for that I'll save the link,I didn't know they were available.
Story alert:-
The bag comes with two clips one upto 27.2 and one upto 32mm but the s/post on the Tern is 34mm so they wouldn't fit,I checked with Zyro the distributor but they only have the 32mm one listed,so I assumed that was the biggest available.
Anyway I saw Tern front Klikfix bracket on Ebay going cheap so,as I had a Klikfix bag bracket in 'the box' I bought that and made up a rather neat front bag from a camera bag I had kicking about with some stiff plastic backing :D .
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

reohn2 wrote:
PH wrote:I'd have thought a nice wicker basket would have looked better on a shopper bike :twisted:

?

It wasn't an entirely serious comment, hence the twisted evil smilie
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Many of this style of bag (except the Bride Street one maybe) look mechanically stressful - in that put much weight in the bag (e.g. towards the back) and go over a bump and the attachment to the seat post much take a massive load (given the mechanical advantage the far rear of the bag will exert).

I'm sure they must work but the attachment point to the seatpost does not look like it spreads that load much.

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

hercule wrote:I periodically think about ordering the Moulton day bag and rack for my AM, but they aren't cheap! I have an ancient but capacious Karrimor seat bag (the original Karrimor, so it is quite old) but it's a bit high, being slung from the saddle rails. Something like this might be good, but like you I'd want to mount it lower. It would also have to fit round 34.9mm of seatpost... am I right in thinking TSRs have more conventionally sized seatposts?

BTW, I tried a Carradice SQR Tour and it wagged like the tail of a happy dog...

this the one?

karrimor seat  bag
karrimor seat bag

I have 2 of these still in fine condition. would suit Micks bike well
very useful and better than the one Mick has ?
Has useful net side pockets and reflective strip on rear ( as you can see )

unlike standard saddle bags is narrow and deep so it dont stick out the sides
mine now 17 or so years old.
Last edited by mercalia on 12 Mar 2017, 11:56am, edited 5 times in total.