If you had a £1000

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
meic

Re: If you had a £1000

Postby meic » 14 Mar 2017, 8:35pm

Rossco8854 wrote:
meic wrote:I dont have many 105 components and what I have is on my best kit and not much used. More luck of the draw than avoiding it. They moved to 10 speed and I didnt and they tended to have larger cranksets than both Tiagra and Ultegra so didnt fit my set up.

Anything that I have bought above Tiagra level would have been an opportunistic bargain and for some reason not as many bargains turn up in 105 form. I have only bought Ultegra because it was cheaper than the 105!

I love the higher quality of my 105 hubs but they probably will not last any longer than the Tiagras.
In comparison the 105 rear derailleur doesnt strike me as different quality level to the Tiagra one.

If you could spare another few minutes could you check the other bits of kit on that bike below and give me your opinon
http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/grav ... full-monty
I wanted a cannondale caadx 105 2016 but they seem to be unattainable and the 2017 is just out of budget which had me thinking of getting a sora but now ive found other bikes and there above a ultega bike for under 1000

A lot of the componentry there is outside of my direct experience. The only deficiency that struck me for the Tiagra model was that it had BB5 brakes instead of BB7s and the one is far better than the other because it has two adjustable pads rather than just the one moving pad.
However they contradict themselves about whether the Ultegra has BB7s or not.
If it does then I would opt for the Ultegra version and enjoy the added quality of Ultegra.
If BB7s were available on the Tiagra as an upgrade I would save a bit money and have that. I think that 10 speed may be more practical and cheaper for running costs.

Another point to check, if you are going to be doing hilly rides is "is the gearing low enough"?
Which could swing me firmly into the Tiagra bike as it can be retro fitted with a large rear cassette and an MTB derailleur, which I doubt the Ultegra can.
Yma o Hyd

Rossco8854

Postby Rossco8854 » 14 Mar 2017, 8:42pm

meic wrote:
Rossco8854 wrote:
meic wrote:I dont have many 105 components and what I have is on my best kit and not much used. More luck of the draw than avoiding it. They moved to 10 speed and I didnt and they tended to have larger cranksets than both Tiagra and Ultegra so didnt fit my set up.

Anything that I have bought above Tiagra level would have been an opportunistic bargain and for some reason not as many bargains turn up in 105 form. I have only bought Ultegra because it was cheaper than the 105!

I love the higher quality of my 105 hubs but they probably will not last any longer than the Tiagras.
In comparison the 105 rear derailleur doesnt strike me as different quality level to the Tiagra one.

If you could spare another few minutes could you check the other bits of kit on that bike below and give me your opinon
http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/grav ... full-monty
I wanted a cannondale caadx 105 2016 but they seem to be unattainable and the 2017 is just out of budget which had me thinking of getting a sora but now ive found other bikes and there above a ultega bike for under 1000

A lot of the componentry there is outside of my direct experience. The only deficiency that struck me for the Tiagra model was that it had BB5 brakes instead of BB7s and the one is far better than the other because it has two adjustable pads rather than just the one moving pad.
However they contradict themselves about whether the Ultegra has BB7s or not.
If it does then I would opt for the Ultegra version and enjoy the added quality of Ultegra.
If BB7s were available on the Tiagra as an upgrade I would save a bit money and have that. I think that 10 speed may be more practical and cheaper for running costs.

Another point to check, if you are going to be doing hilly rides is "is the gearing low enough"?
Which could swing me firmly into the Tiagra bike as it can be retro fitted with a large rear cassette and an MTB derailleur, which I doubt the Ultegra can.

See I thought the ultegra 105 having the more gears would have the lower gears.

Think I might just keep my car and the environment can worry about itself :lol: didn't think buying a bike would be so difficult!

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 14 Mar 2017, 8:52pm

I've been pondering precisely the same question for months! I am really tempted by "gravel" bikes but despite common to most claims along the lines of Planet X that ".... there's a broad gear ratio that'll allow you to climb up any route no matter how step it gets." this is simply not true - or least not not for me! With a 34 front and 32 rear the P-x Tiagra model is of no use whatsoever to me.

If one can manage with a high 20"s low then go gravel!

meic

Postby meic » 14 Mar 2017, 8:58pm

It isnt difficult, they will all do the job.
The problem is trying to ensure that you make the best selection and it remains the best selection in real life. The gearing is reasonably low on them, unless you live somewhere as hilly as here.

You are going to want mudguards and probably a rack if this bike is put to work, would that have to come out of the £1,000?

DJ: It could be fitted with a 36-11 rear cassette and an MTB rear derailleur, would that make it rideable?
Yma o Hyd

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 14 Mar 2017, 9:07pm

"DJ: It could be fitted with a 36-11 rear cassette and an MTB rear derailleur, would that make it rideable?"

Nope!

meic

Postby meic » 14 Mar 2017, 9:10pm

If we were being practical then it would be the Spa Tourer. Should do the job well with cheap running costs and low enough gearing. The Sora and Deore components lack glamour but are perfectly serviceable.
http://spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p2983/SPA ... eel-Tourer

Needs a dynamohub though! :lol:
Yma o Hyd

fishfright

Postby fishfright » 14 Mar 2017, 9:12pm

I'd keep saving and get a low racer, or another trike

Rossco8854

Postby Rossco8854 » 14 Mar 2017, 9:16pm

meic wrote:It isnt difficult, they will all do the job.
The problem is trying to ensure that you make the best selection and it remains the best selection in real life. The gearing is reasonably low on them, unless you live somewhere as hilly as here.

You are going to want mudguards and probably a rack if this bike is put to work, would that have to come out of the £1,000?

DJ: It could be fitted with a 36-11 rear cassette and an MTB rear derailleur, would that make it rideable?

I climb 120 metres on a 5.6km cycle if that puts my route into perspective? I have a small rucksack that my gear fits into and the mudguards won't be out of the 1000

meic

Postby meic » 14 Mar 2017, 9:27pm

I climb 100m in the first mile and that doesnt need very low gears.
It is the steep bits that do that, which thankfully are seldom very long.
Then it is the difference in people, every hill that I twiddle up with a low (26 front 32 rear) gear one mate will be riding with 30 front 23 rear and another on fixed!

So no way of any of us knowing in advance what gearing is needed, only you and your experience can tell that. That said people seldom come on the forum complaining their gears are too low and frequently come complaining they are too high.
Plenty of people will manage just fine with that gearing set up. If you struggle at first, you will get stronger (unless you quit).
Yma o Hyd

Rossco8854

Postby Rossco8854 » 14 Mar 2017, 9:33pm

meic wrote:I climb 100m in the first mile and that doesnt need very low gears.
It is the steep bits that do that, which thankfully are seldom very long.
Then it is the difference in people, every hill that I twiddle up with a low (26 front 32 rear) gear one mate will be riding with 30 front 23 rear and another on fixed!

So no way of any of us knowing in advance what gearing is needed, only you and your experience can tell that. That said people seldom come on the forum complaining their gears are too low and frequently come complaining they are too high.
Plenty of people will manage just fine with that gearing set up. If you struggle at first, you will get stronger (unless you quit).

There is 1 steep hill the rest are just hills, only experience I have of it is on my mountain bike, touren gears and for over started it ha's gotten easier and easier, I'll pick a decent bike and thall be it. Never even sat on a bike with drop down bars either so that'll be an experience in itself. Thanks for your time and information

meic

Postby meic » 14 Mar 2017, 9:39pm

only experience I have of it is on my mountain bike, touren gears and for over started it ha's gotten easier and easier,

Calculations can be done from seeing which gear you can cope with climbing on the MTB to give you an idea of what you need on your new bike. Do you need bottom gear or could you ride several from it?
Yma o Hyd

Rossco8854

Postby Rossco8854 » 14 Mar 2017, 10:09pm

meic wrote:
only experience I have of it is on my mountain bike, touren gears and for over started it ha's gotten easier and easier,

Calculations can be done from seeing which gear you can cope with climbing on the MTB to give you an idea of what you need on your new bike. Do you need bottom gear or could you ride several from it?

I'm a few from the bottom but I'm standing to try to pus myself faster, tell me is that bad for the pedals/bearings? Standing on the pedals?

meic

Postby meic » 14 Mar 2017, 10:14pm

The pedals can live with that. :lol:

If you are a "out of the saddle" type rider you will be happier with higher gears than a "sit and twiddle" type rider.
Yma o Hyd

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 15 Mar 2017, 12:10am

A pair of these in the 44, https://serstore.com/en/shop/components ... handlebar/ I managed to bag a pair of 42s for £46 but £175, I think I'll cope with the 42s. BTW, best racing bars ever.
A Beeley cap for £20 https://velotastic.co.uk/product/cyclin ... cling-cap/
with the rest buy back my porsche Bike R frame, my Hirame and Pug Super Competition, worst decisions eva :cry:

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 15 Mar 2017, 8:23pm

If my size I'd hit the button for this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192116911306? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Hefty reduction on new price - always let someone else drop the 30-40% on leaving the showroom!