If you had a £1000

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
raj

Re: If you had a £1000

Post by raj »

djnotts wrote:With a 34 front and 32 rear the P-x Tiagra model is of no use whatsoever to me.

If one can manage with a high 20"s low then go gravel!

I have one of these 'gravel' bikes, originally with 11-speed 105's, so 34 front / 32 rear. I replaced the rear cassette with an SRAM 11 - 36 requiring just a Roadlink (£25) to increase clearance between rear dérailleur & large cog. Makes a difference, gives me 25.1" on a 700x28 tyre, down from 28.3". It's possible this arrangement would take an 11 - 40 cassette which provides 22.7". Hills? What hills.
freiston

Post by freiston »

meic wrote:If we were being practical then it would be the Spa Tourer. Should do the job well with cheap running costs and low enough gearing. The Sora and Deore components lack glamour but are perfectly serviceable.
http://spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p2983/SPA ... eel-Tourer

Needs a dynamohub though! :lol:

I wholeheartedly concur :D

For commuting, the steel 105-triple audax is in budget and a sportier model but a touring bike is much more of an all-rounder imho. As I already have a touring bike, and as this is fantasy for me, I'll go for the audax - otherwise it would be the tourer :wink:. Either way, I would want a dynamo hub & lights.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Rossco8854 wrote:If you had a grand what bike would be top of your pile?

Cx bikes preferably but road bike's also very welcome

I'd buy the Planet X kit of a carbon frame and ultegra parts and then probably make a pigs ear of putting it all together.
Rossco8854

Post by Rossco8854 »

Annoying Twit wrote:
Rossco8854 wrote:If you had a grand what bike would be top of your pile?

Cx bikes preferably but road bike's also very welcome

I'd buy the Planet X kit of a carbon frame and ultegra parts and then probably make a pigs ear of putting it all together.

I don't think I'll go for the ulegra as repairing would break my heart the price of it :lol: I've found someone that can get me 20% discount of chain reaction and going to go for the cube cross pro race £1200 but with the discount brings me into budget :D
PH

Post by PH »

Rossco8854 wrote:I don't think I'll go for the ulegra as repairing would break my heart the price of it :lol: I've found someone that can get me 20% discount of chain reaction and going to go for the cube cross pro race £1200 but with the discount brings me into budget :D

This one?
Our brand new 2017 Cross Race Pro is the perfect choice for cyclocross enthusiasts - a bike that's perfectly suited to tackling the next race series over the winter, but also proven as a versatile off-season training bike. Anyone with a love for this special sport and its unique atmosphere will immediately fall for this carefully crafted cyclocross bike.

https://www.cube.eu/uk/2017/road-triath ... hred-2017/

You asked what we'd do if we had a grand to spend and had a variety of opinion. No one had racing cyclocross in their criteria.
That looks a fine bike for what it's designed, though It's not something I know much about.
If you're not going to race cross, that's not the most suitable bike you could get for the money.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if I had a grand I wouldnt buy a bike but fund to to buy 200 Big Mac meals for the next year when I am out touring :lol: as thats what i seem to eat
Rossco8854

Post by Rossco8854 »

PH wrote:
Rossco8854 wrote:I don't think I'll go for the ulegra as repairing would break my heart the price of it :lol: I've found someone that can get me 20% discount of chain reaction and going to go for the cube cross pro race £1200 but with the discount brings me into budget :D

This one?
Our brand new 2017 Cross Race Pro is the perfect choice for cyclocross enthusiasts - a bike that's perfectly suited to tackling the next race series over the winter, but also proven as a versatile off-season training bike. Anyone with a love for this special sport and its unique atmosphere will immediately fall for this carefully crafted cyclocross bike.

You asked what we'd do if we had a grand to spend and had a variety of opinion. No one had racing cyclocross in their criteria.
That looks a fine bike for what it's designed, though It's not something I know much about.
If you're not going to race cross, that's not the most suitable bike you could get for the money.

That's the one. Have you any opinions yourself? I'm really getting the feelers out as I don't know anything only from what I have researched this week about road/cross bikes. My local bike shop was very unhelpful that's why I have resorted to this forum.
Rossco8854

Post by Rossco8854 »

mercalia wrote:if I had a grand I wouldnt buy a bike but fund to to buy 200 Big Mac meals for the next year when I am out touring :lol: as thats what i seem to eat

:lol: as eaten by all the great cyclists past and present!
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

The bikes I most want all cost more than a £1000. At the moment I would most like a second longjohn cargo bike. A Larry vs Harry Bullit or Winther Walleroo flat bed were top of that list but just the moment it's a new Rodford box bike that I am looking at.
wheel71

Post by wheel71 »

If I had £1000 spare I'd send it to some poor soul like myself who is struggling to get thier latest (how far out of my price range :shock: ) build finished. If you feel the same PM me for my paypal address. :wink:
Rossco8854

Post by Rossco8854 »

wheel71 wrote:If I had £1000 spare I'd send it to some poor soul like myself who is struggling to get thier latest (how far out of my price range :shock: ) build finished. If you feel the same PM me for my paypal address. :wink:

See all you people are just greedy... I'm only looking to buy a bike :lol:
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Cannondale Caad 11. You just can't touch them!
wheel71

Post by wheel71 »

I think you right there. :D
My friend got a Cannondale CAADX, I had a short ride on it and it felt very nice. His first drop bar bike and he is very happy with it too.
Rossco8854

Post by Rossco8854 »

wheel71 wrote:I think you right there. :D
My friend got a Cannondale CAADX, I had a short ride on it and it felt very nice. His first drop bar bike and he is very happy with it too.

Call me shallow but I only like the body work of the caadx 105 in the 2017 models, slightly out of my price range but I think the cube cross pro race in the link's from previous posts is the best bike along with a good discount
PH

Post by PH »

Rossco8854 wrote:
PH wrote:

This one?

That's the one. Have you any opinions yourself? I'm really getting the feelers out as I don't know anything only from what I have researched this week about road/cross bikes. My local bike shop was very unhelpful that's why I have resorted to this forum.

OK, I was going to let this one go, partly because a comprehensive answer/opinion would take too long to write, and secondly because I doubt you would take the suggestion. But here goes with the short version anyway :wink:
IMO choosing the right bike starts with a good understanding of your criteria. Top of that list are usage and fit. The more bikes you ride the better the idea you get, the chances of getting everything right first time are slim, though once you've made a few mistakes it becomes easy to see what doesn't work for you even if you can't be 100% about what does. I have no idea what the right bike for you is, sorry. I do know that the right bike for me, would be the right bike regardless of groupset, not that a better groupset isn't well ... better, but it'll never make the wrong bike right. Likewise, bikes are for riding not looking at, there's often a huge gulf between the bikes we like the look of and the bikes that would be best to ride.
So, if you wrote down your criteria and asked for opinions on what bike fulfilled them, a bike called a cross-race-pro wouldn't be on the list unless you'd put cross racing as a criteria. The bike that would probably fit best might be something like the tourer posted upthread. No ultegra, no nice bodywork, no fancy paintwork, deeply unfashionable... Would you even consider it?