Anyone Ditched their Car Completely for a Bike?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

Re: Anyone Ditched their Car Completely for a Bike?

Post by mercalia »

I am now sorning my motor bike for 6 months and only have on the road during the summer to go touring - also makes it last longer as I dont want to buy another one now. shamecant do the same for insurance but thats low any way
umplumpa

Post by umplumpa »

Was amazed when I read this post as I was planning to ask the same question myself. Since retiring during the middle of last year I have found I am driving less and less, therefore wondering if it is worth keeping my car on the road. My commute to work was an easily manageable 6 miles each way, but I needed to use the car at least once a week. Now I no longer need to do that, I am finding running errands, visiting family, friends and the gym are totally manageable and a lot less hassle by foot, pedal or public transport. Like Fatboy, I really don't like driving, never have.
I feel that I must take issue with Blackbike I would not class myself as middle class, nor would I deem many other cyclists I know. Whilst I appreciate that there are quite a lot of people who only get on their bikes after they have ferried them on the back of their cars, a far greater number of people cycle because it is the most efficient and pleasurable way of getting around.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

I haven't, but I would if I had only myself to consider. At less than a 1000 miles p.a. even a next-to-nowt depreciation and reasonable insurance makes the cost-per-mile ridiculous! BUT herself's mobility is not good - one hip replacement last year and ideally another soon make even a once a week outing for coffee by the River impossible without a car.

I shall be 70 next year and (if the Ford lasts that long!) then that will decide it for me. I shall not renew my licence - while there are (few) exceptions, watching most over-70s driving (or more frightening) simply managing to get into the driving seat, convinces me that the right to be in charge of a ton of metal in a public space really should end at three score and ten.
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

In an urban area, car-free living is perfectly practical with some preparation. You will need to prepare for bad weather. This may investing in suitable clothing, or seeking alternative modes of transport (taxi/bus/train) and using them as your plan B, and/or delaying shopping journeys when the weather is bad.

For the occasional long-distance car journeys there is car hire. For large refuse collection there are one-off paid for services available from local councils which can be booked over the phone or online. For delivery of large goods you've purchased, there's an increasing range of commercial delivery services. In cases where you pay per delivery (such as DIY shops), it's sometimes worth planning ahead and ordering multiple items from the retailer in one go.

When cycling is the primary means of transport, you need to be prepared for mechanical failure of your bike. This invariably means having a spare bike so that repairs can be done at leisure rather than in an emergency. You'll probably become more aware of the condition of your bike and you'll get more timely with regular maintenance.
Last edited by Zanda on 19 Mar 2017, 7:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
malcolmlauder

Post by malcolmlauder »

I've been car free for about 2 years. It's not 'till you give it up that you realise what a burden the car is. Go for it. If it doesn't work out you can always buy another one
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Yep. 2013 aged 59. Living in rural North Wales - not an easy decision. Reality - wished I'd had the guts to do it before. Totally changed my life, attitude and mindset + huge difference in physical fitness. 11,000 miles + per annum since. Only 17 days not cycling in 4 years. Obviously not for everyone. Lots of circumstances in my favour. Have zero desire to ever own or drive a motor vehicle ever again. It's amazing how adaptable one is after making 'commitments'. :D
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

deliquium wrote:Yep. 2013 aged 59. Living in rural North Wales - not an easy decision. Reality - wished I'd had the guts to do it before. Totally changed my life, attitude and mindset + huge difference in physical fitness. 11,000 miles + per annum since. Only 17 days not cycling in 4 years. Obviously not for everyone. Lots of circumstances in my favour. Have zero desire to ever own or drive a motor vehicle ever again. It's amazing how adaptable one is after making 'commitments'. :D

+1!

You do not mention that you are now much richer

What will you do in 35 years when you are old and immobile, move to town?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Got rid of the second car years ago.

Now commute 15 miles each way, it's a shade slower than driving, but much more predictable and of course I get 90 minutes of excercise each day. So it is quicker than a car and a trip to the gym.

Cheaper too - even if I do attribute vehicle cost...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Rossco8854

Post by Rossco8854 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Got rid of the second car years ago.

Now commute 15 miles each way, it's a shade slower than driving, but much more predictable and of course I get 90 minutes of excercise each day. So it is quicker than a car and a trip to the gym.

That's what I'm in the process of doing also! So much extra money and emissions for the sake of going to work each day when the legs you where born with take's me there for the price of a bowl of porridge
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
deliquium wrote:Yep. 2013 aged 59. Living in rural North Wales - not an easy decision. Reality - wished I'd had the guts to do it before. Totally changed my life, attitude and mindset + huge difference in physical fitness. 11,000 miles + per annum since. Only 17 days not cycling in 4 years. Obviously not for everyone. Lots of circumstances in my favour. Have zero desire to ever own or drive a motor vehicle ever again. It's amazing how adaptable one is after making 'commitments'. :D

+1!

You do not mention that you are now much richer

What will you do in 35 years when you are old and immobile, move to town?

My well being is off the richer scale :lol:

Simple, I will not be around in anything like 35 years
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

The car's not ditched completely but the average annual mileage has gone down from 20,000 to probably less than 5000. This is due to me working within a few miles from home and cycle commuting. I've probably only used car 5 or 6 times since New Year, poor thing just sits moping on the drive....

I'm thinking of getting rid and replacing it with a camper van for summer cycling weekends away.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

We have a car and it's important enough to us that we'll keep it: my wife's a potter and needs something to transport wares, we have two children that occasionally need taking places (daughter has broken ankle right now so her bike not an option), hobbies include kayaking and canoeing, I've not seen a local car share scheme that would work for us, and so on.

But, having said all that, I have been car-free as an active adult, so it's far from impossible. Do consider a cargo bike for local freight and shopping runs: I pick up as much shopping on a trip with the 8-Freight as I do in the car, it just takes a little longer there and back. Also, a Brommie or similar makes mixed-mode with public transport much easier. And if you can live within a few miles of work that makes daily commutes much easier (while people do ride 20+ miles a day to work in all weathers, to be honest I don't think I could take hours travelling every day, and so I live ~1km from my desk).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I would love to go carless, despite the disadvantages. Mr. V wouldn't have it, and for his sake, I wouldn't do it.

I can manage almost everything without a car, and for the occasions that we need one, I would be happy to rent or borrow one. Otherwise, Trailer is perfectly capable of hauling shopping, gardening & building supplies, cat litter, etc.

We have been car-free with a family. It limits what we can do on days out, and I was happy enough with the situation, but Mr. V felt that the disadvantages outweighed the advantages. So, after half a year car-free, we went back to car ownership. Our car hasn't been used in 3 days. Mr. V (who does most of the shopping) will probably use it at least once on Thursday to go shopping, and get some things that are heavy or hard to carry walking. He may also use it to go out in the evening on Thursday, as that's his night out.

I often use it to go to work on Wednesday because I need to come early on Wednesdays, and I consequently use Wednesday to swap over my towel and clothes at work, but I'm working from home today.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
sjs

Re: RE: Re: Anyone Ditched their Car Completely for a Bike?

Post by sjs »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Got rid of the second car years ago.

You average 20mph? Pretty good!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

We went from two cars to one in 2009. I certainly wouldn't get a second car again. I would like to have a community car share scheme, so that we have access to car, but don't need to pay the full price of car ownership. It seems silly to pay so much for something to use it 3 times per week.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom