Why "womans cycling interests"

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Psamathe

Re: Why "womans cycling interests"

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I remember my school days as we were under a lot of pressure, exams after exams, revision for mocks, pressure to do more, do better in these exams that would determine the rest of our lives ... and we just knuckled down and got on with it not understanding there was even such a thing as "suffering from stress" (because nobody told us about it and never suggested we might suffer from it).

I certainly don't mean to belittle those who genuinely feel neither male nor female, and similarly, no intention to dismiss those school children who genuinely are suffering stress. But I do question the increase in such things corresponding to the "socially aware" continual checking if they are questioning their gender or suffering the pressure of exams ...

Maybe you "just knuckled down and got on with it" but plenty of children buckled under and got on with depression and nervous breakdowns and worse while feeling oh so alone because nobody told us about mental health and never suggested we might have to take care of it. The founding of Childline in 1986 and its inclusion of mental health topics was one of the greatest things ever to happen for children. I wish it had happened a couple of years earlier.

Tell you what - if you don't want "to dismiss those school children who genuinely are suffering stress," how about you stop suggesting that they're only imagining it because people are daring to talk with them about it? :mad:

Note the last stntence I wrote: "But I do question the increase in such things corresponding to the "socially aware" continual checking if they are questioning their gender or suffering the pressure of exams" and you'll see I am questioning the increase NOT "dismiss those school children who genuinely are suffering stress" as you suggest I said.

Ian
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Well ladies, have you come across the expression "mansplaining"? i.e. Men explaining things, esp. technical things, to women as if they were not too bright. It must be bloody infuriating. You have my sympathy. I've had it happen to me and last time I looked I'm a man. But I'm short and have a funny accent, for some reason this seems to give some guys the license to snatch a wheel or whatever I'm working on out of my hands and show me how to fix it. Perhaps I'm not aggressive enough and find it easier to let them get on with it. A club colleague who is even shorter than me doesn't have this problem, mind you he's a retired Marine major.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

PJ520 wrote:Well ladies, have you come across the expression "mansplaining"? i.e. Men explaining things, esp. technical things, to women as if they were not too bright. It must be bloody infuriating. You have my sympathy. I've had it happen to me and last time I looked I'm a man. But I'm short and have a funny accent, for some reason this seems to give some guys the license to snatch a wheel or whatever I'm working on out of my hands and show me how to fix it. Perhaps I'm not aggressive enough and find it easier to let them get on with it. A club colleague who is even shorter than me doesn't have this problem, mind you he's a retired Marine major.

:lol: That's a whole thread by itself. :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Whatever the motives for starting this thread, it seems a pity that the opportunity has been missed - studiously avoided - to consider if there might be room for improvement.
Si

Post by Si »

Well, it was mooted back when the section first started, that we have a beginners' section. Somewhere that people could ask "silly questions" without the fear of being laughed at. This would partly do what the womens section is ment to do...ie allow those of any gender to feel comfortable. But it wouldnt act as a repository of female specific bike knowledge......something that would ge quite nice as although hardened male roadies are always happy to opinenon the subject, few actually have first hand experience of being a woman cyclist :lol: You might say that this info could go into the general dak forums but then you rely on the wonderful forum search facility to findnit again.

We also ended up with people getting all upset about a suggested lgbt area, and no doubt demands for a hetro area would have followed, however, i believe that those who proposed the area decided that theyd feel more comfortable having it seperate from the forum.

Then we had the devient bike area, but so far no calls for an upright bike area have been made...only a matter of time.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is a mens interest thread about electrically heated underpants, no need for women to read it (?) :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Username

Post by Username »

old_windbag wrote:This thread could grow into another "shane sutton have a baby" furore. :D

Personally I don't mind the "womens interests" being there but do recoil at the notion that women are intimidated by the mens opinions or knowledge... very odd..

I myself once posted a picture of a pink toy motorcycle on a thread involving a guy and his male counterpart looking for advice on what motorcycle to get. Others followed on from my joke and got modded, I got banned. I thought I was being funny at the time. Using this as an example, I can see why there is a woman's section.....because of people of my mindset. Even as I type this, I'm tempted to post a pic taken out of the show "Little Britain". I think us men are wired a certain way and that may make some women feel uncomfortable in certain situations.

What ever, it's good if more people are getting into cycling what ever their gender, orientation etc. The woman's only section can only be a good thing IMO.