Top Tube bags

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PH

Top Tube bags

Post by PH »

I had one of these years ago, which was cheap and ill fitting as they all seemed to be at the time. The popularity of bikepacking luggage means not only is there a lot more choice but also they're possibly losing the naff image (Not that I'm bothered by such things :wink: )
I'm considering one for a camera, to use instead of a bar bag, it'd be easier to swap between bikes and also free up handlebar space for light and GPS (I also have a little paranoia about putting heavier things on the bars having recently had one snap) The two I'm currently considering are this Apidura
https://www.apidura.com/product/top-tube-pack-extended/
Or this Blackburn
https://www.blackburndesign.com/en_eu/o ... -tube.html
Anyone have any experience of either? Or any other recommendations/advice?
Ta
Threevok

Re: Top Tube bags

Post by Threevok »

Have a look at the Rosewheel ones on eBay too

I have had two of the types that hold your mobile. I only bought the second one when I changed from an Iphone 5 to a 6 which then didn't fit

Alternativey, to carry sonething so small as a camera, you may also want to look at the Front Tube Frame Triangle Pouch Bag Saddle Panniers
PH

Post by PH »

Threevok wrote:Have a look at the Rosewheel ones on eBay too
I have had two of the types that hold your mobile. I only bought the second one when I changed from an Iphone 5 to a 6 which then didn't fit

Thanks, I've just looked at the Rosewheel ones, they're certainly cheap, but nothing there that quite fits what I'm looking for.
Alternativey, to carry sonething so small as a camera, you may also want to look at the Front Tube Frame Triangle Pouch Bag Saddle Panniers

My camera isn't so small, it'd probably fit in a triangle bag, but it might not be as easy to get in and out.
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

Each of the bags linked in the OP sit on the top tube. You can also get bags that hang from the top tube. Some of these are triangle bags that sit below the seat cluster. Others are 'frame panniers' - a pair of pouches, joined at the top, that straddles the top tube just behind the headset.

Frame bags that hang are better for carrying things that might be damaged easily, such as cameras, I reckon. The frame pannier design is the most versatile IMO.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Maybe look at the RavX To Go Tri Bags, available in three sizes so you can pick one that your camera will fit in. I've seen a couple of them as they passed through our bike workshop (we got them in for a customer) and they seemed fairly well-made and reasonably priced.
St John Street Cycles and others sell them. Bear in mind that the quoted length/width/height dimensions are external, not internal, though the quoted capacity is internal.

I bought a Roswheel rackpack and was not impressed (very saggy) so I can't recommend Roswheel.
millimole

Post by millimole »

Threevok wrote:Have a look at the Rosewheel ones on eBay too

From my experience Rosswheel is a badging exercise for a number of low-end Chinese factories. I've had some top-notch Rosswheel stuff, and some that wasn't worth the very cheap price.
I'm a great fan of top-tube bags, and the cheap Chinese stuff is a good way of finding out what works for you.

You can easlily remove the Tapatalk spam using settings on YOUR phone
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
raaab

Post by raaab »

I have a topeak top tube bag, which I used a bit last summer. It looks very similar to the ravx one linked above.(https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... 278-tribag)

It was handy for keeping my phone and a few other bits in, but was also a bit annoying.Anything heavier than a phone in there tended to make the bag fall to the side. If you are just going to be storing a compact camera, snacks, I think it would be fine. Anything heavier I would think a top tube back isn't suitable.
smuggers

Post by smuggers »

Hi,

I have a large Alpkit, top tube bag.. Can fit quite a bit in. I usually have my compact camera, powerbank, wallet & food in it. Very well made and once fitted, it stays put. I also run a cable from the powerbank to my phone, via a openning in the front of the bag. They do 3 different sizes also.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/fuel-pod-large

smuggers
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If I were the OP I'd definitely go for the Blackburn one for what it's to be used for,I don't own one and I'm only going of f the video in the link.
Blackburn stuff is good quality and access looks very good quick access to a camera,the bag also has other useful pockets too
My 2d's worth.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

reohn2 wrote:If I were the OP I'd definitely go for the Blackburn one for what it's to be used for,I don't own one and I'm only going of f the video in the link.
Blackburn stuff is good quality and access looks very good quick access to a camera,the bag also has other useful pockets too
My 2d's worth.

Yes, I've ordered one, I particularly liked that full opening for the reasons you mention and wasn't particularly bothered that it's twice the weight of some of the others. I'll update when I've received and used it for anyone else who might be interested.
OT - While looking into this, I've noticed how the range and options for cycle luggage in general has increased recently. It seems carrying stuff on your bike and going on a ride for more than one day is becoming increasingly popular, even if no one wants to call it touring. Good stuff.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:Yes, I've ordered one, I particularly liked that full opening for the reasons you mention and wasn't particularly bothered that it's twice the weight of some of the others. I'll update when I've received and used it for anyone else who might be interested.

Good,I look forward to reading what you think of it and how it works for you.
OT - While looking into this, I've noticed how the range and options for cycle luggage in general has increased recently. It seems carrying stuff on your bike and going on a ride for more than one day is becoming increasingly popular, even if no one wants to call it touring. Good stuff.

I agree the range,design and quality of stuff an has expanded no end in recent years,especially the bike packing frame bags etc,all good news IMO :) .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden