Giant Revolt 2 OR Dawes Galaxy cromo?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
newtotouring

Giant Revolt 2 OR Dawes Galaxy cromo?

Postby newtotouring » 1 Apr 2017, 8:54pm

I'm looking to buy one of these two in the next week or two. It'll be used mostly as a try to regain some fitness/ride to work bike and mostly for weekend jaunts of around 30-50 miles all being well, but I would like to have a go at touring with a tent this Summer. Not sure what one would be most comfy? I've a new Brooks B17 Flyer awaiting one of them. I'd love a Salsa Vaya but can't stretch to that sort of money and need to be able to get the bike on 0% finance.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks!

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/318628/p ... rcoal.aspx

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Dawes-Galaxy-Cr ... wodX-kIZg#

Airsporter1st

Re: Giant Revolt 2 OR Dawes Galaxy cromo?

Postby Airsporter1st » 1 Apr 2017, 9:27pm

They look to be two completely different types - the Giant is a cyclocross and doesn't look to have any fittings for guards or panniers and the Dawes is a tourer with both guards and panniers already installed.

I guess far more experienced people than I will be along soon, but in the meantime, looking at what you want the bike for, I would think of the two, the Dawes would be far better suited.

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 2 Apr 2017, 9:32am

I wouldn't opt for either.

You want a bike for FITNESS/RIDE TO WORK and/or weekend rides and/or a tour with a tent this summer.

Personally I'd have a quick and speedy bike, which could be set up with a pannier rack and/or more robust wheels/wider comfortable tyres if required.

What about a flat barred road bike; Decathalon start at £299.99 (Had a look at one on Friday in passing, they'd be easy to equip with a pannier rack). Ignore the nonsense about how you can't tour on aluminium or carbon fibre, or have to have a leather saddle.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 2 Apr 2017, 9:56am

The Galaxy already has mudguards, rack and probably lower gears as well (you can check this). At the very least you know that you can fit these essential items without having to worry about whether the bike has fitting points plus heel clearance (for panniers) and toe clearance (so you don't keep hitting the front mudguard as you pedal and turn). Or, indeed, whether you will be able to lower the gearing later (change in chainring sizes = change on front mech position = possible problems with some bikes depending on mounting).

I'd go for the galaxy, unless you can find the disc braked version at a good discount. Or, indeed, any similarly equipped tourer - look for at least 2, preferably 3, rear sprockets that are bigger than the smallest chainring, this usually means a "traditional" triple chainring setup. To put it another way, mouintain bike or hybrid gearing, NOT sports gearing/fast gearing/compact doubles etc.

Equally the dropped bars are a good choice - you get several different hand positions including on-the-drops against headwind, and on the tops of the bars to relax a watch the view (and catch the tailwind) and odd places inbetween.

The Galaxy seems to have combined brake/gear levers, I have recently switch to these on my tourer and they are much handier than the downtube types of yore.

Yet another edit - have a look at these articles http://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-libra ... uring-bike
Last edited by rmurphy195 on 2 Apr 2017, 10:04am, edited 3 times in total.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 2 Apr 2017, 9:57am

Pretty sure I can see rack and 'grd mounting points on the Giant - and can no doubt check somewhere online.

The Giant looks better (to me!) and has discs - so that's two big ticks.

Only downside is that Giant doesn't have quite as low gearing. But then probably lighter so that might cancel out gearing.

Close call IMO.

Si

Postby Si » 2 Apr 2017, 10:08am

I was looking at the revolt(ing) yesterday. Certainly can fit a rack and guards, it also has the built in front guard which is a bit like a long thin crud catcher. Cant fit a front low rider though.

The giant has quite a comfortable upright touring position, which is partly why it is classed as a gravel bike rather than a cx.

It has mondo tyre clearances if that is important to you. Not as light as an adventure road bike, but lighter than most full on tourers. Tyres will slow it down on the road but make it good on tracks and rough paths.

MarcusT

Postby MarcusT » 2 Apr 2017, 10:10am

If it was just for commuting, I would go with the Giant, but if you want to tour, the Dawes would be a better choice. Is there a specific reason you narrowed down to these 2 bikes? I only ask because in that price range there are quite a few bikes worth your consideration.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike

newtotouring

Postby newtotouring » 2 Apr 2017, 7:04pm

Many thanks to everyone for their contributions on this.

In answer to your question MarcusT - I had a Giant defy 3 (which I no longer have) but it was a decent fit and the fit chart from Giant seems to have me in the same part of the chart for the Revolt, if that makes sense?

Any more bike suggestions in this price range much appreciate though.

Thanks. :)

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 2 Apr 2017, 8:05pm

https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/sonder-camino-alloy

Do it all bike in the modern style, perhaps?

seph

Postby seph » 2 Apr 2017, 10:20pm

Or this http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXLONROD ... d-frameset same as the sonder apart from the colours, but £125 less (at the moment, planet x price fluctuations are legendary!)

Rusty Spanner

Postby Rusty Spanner » 3 Apr 2017, 4:30pm

Having test ridden both, I'd go for the Giant.
At that price it's fantastic value.

It is a lovely bike, handles very well and feels very comfortable.
Will definitely take a rack and guards.
My local dealer praised them highly and has one customer who has used hers on extended tours in Asia and Africa.

Discs and big tyre clearances are important to me, and the bike seemed good value at full price.
I decided to stick with steel in the end and am delighted with my Surly, but the Giant certainly impressed.

My wife has a Specialized AWOL, the current base model.
It's a very good package;
Very comfy.
Easily takes 45 mm tyres & guards.
Has discs and rack mounts.
Gears are low and can easily be lowered further.
The standard wheels are surprisingly good and suit the bike well.
Rides very nicely both on and off road.

A lot more than the Giant you've linked to, but an excellent bike nonetheless.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 3 Apr 2017, 8:17pm

djnotts wrote:
Only downside is that Giant doesn't have quite as low gearing. But then probably lighter so that might cancel out gearing.

I'm not sure that the amount of bike weight saved overall with bike+rider+luggage etc. is going to make up for higher gearing in this context!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

newtotouring

Postby newtotouring » 3 Apr 2017, 9:15pm

Thanks Si, Bonefishblues and Rusty Spanner. Some excellent info gained from your insights.

I think I might be swaying towards the Revolt. It seems the most fun unloaded and can still fit 35s or 40s no bother as well as take a a few days touring.

I shall report back on my final decision.

Very many thanks to all contributors.

:D