Newbie having problems. Advice please?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tykeboy2003

Re: Newbie having problems. Advice please?

Post by tykeboy2003 »

531colin wrote:Image

Its an effing tank.

Looking at that and bearing in mind the lady's stature, I'd agree with you. It's a brute. Any bike with suspension forks is not really ideal for roads and cycle tracks (ex railways etc). I really don't know why they put them on such bikes.
pkbicycles

Post by pkbicycles »

Let your partner ride your crap bike. Get a new bike the lightest you can afford. Search for women specific bikes now there are quotes few

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

I second all the advice above. I wouldn't expect it to solve all the problems -in particular bike handling and confidence with braking/traffic might take time - but a new bike that fits and is suited to what you wish to do will provide a good starting point for developing your cycling skills. Riding with others on a bike which isn't well suited is always going to sap the confidence.

eileithyia wrote:The Dawes Galaxy came in male and female specific frames (ie crossbar and mixte) or the Super Galaxy only with a crossbar. B/f wanted me to have the female Galaxy, but I knew enough by then to know that the Super Galaxy was by far superior and more along the lines of what I wanted.
These days no serious cyclist, male or female ride mixte frames

Ouch :o
I'll forgive you :D It is true that these days no fast road cyclists ride step-through frames.
JeremyB

Post by JeremyB »

Slap him, then go out and buy a new bike.

I bought my bike early this year, to help build my fitness. Last time I did any 'serious cycling', which was only commuting to work, was 35 years ago. I bought a Specialized Sirius Elite, a hybrid which a: looked nice, b: was on sale. I love it, it's taken a few outings to feel confident on it, it did feel like it had a mind of its own, skipping about on irregularities in the road surface. Every time I looked over my shoulder, I found myself in the middle of the road. Now, I can ride in a straight line, and can even take a swig from my water bottle without having to stop.

Some great advice on this thread, let's us know how you get on.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

Forgot to say that a "new bike" does not have to mean a "brand new bike". The last thing I would want to do is tell someone that they have to spend £100s on a new bike to feel safe on the road,control their bike safely and go riding with their friends. You don't need the latest piece of bling. If you do take cycling up long term then you will have a much better idea what you want out of a new bike a year or two down the line than you do now.

If budget is an issue, a second hand machine of the right type, in known working condition, which is the right size for you will suffice. The key is finding somebody knowledgeable to help you choose such a bike. Some shops sell second hand bikes. Your local club might also be able to help.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

AdamS wrote:If budget is an issue, a second hand machine of the right type, in known working condition, which is the right size for you will suffice. The key is finding somebody knowledgeable to help you choose such a bike. Some shops sell second hand bikes. Your local club might also be able to help.

Two of my recommendations up thread also carry second hand bikes 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

Brill :D
I confess to skim reading the responses
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

It is becoming increasingly difficult not to lambast the partner who has sent you out into the traffic with an unsuitable, unmaintained, potentially lethal old lump of a bike and then had the gall to complain when you can't keep up with regular cyclists on no doubt immeasurably superior kit. That you didn't just dump the bike (at least) and never ride again is huge credit to you, let alone clocking up twenty five miles without positive encouragement and then going back for more! More people must be put off cycling this way than any other.

In our (unofficial) little club we have a young lady who's first ride was Eroica (seriously) - 50miles of Peak District hills on a huge, ancient, heavy, overgeared monster of a bike provided by her (now ex) boyfriend. Now she has a ladies Spesh with a triple and flies around the Peaks with us, showing up half of the fellas. I hold her in similarly high esteem, obviously!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

dont think any one has suggested to sell the bike your partner got, on ebay, and put the money to a bike you want :P
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Something that just occurred to me; I reckon the unmanageability of the bike is not so much the weight of it (although that can't be helping), but your position on it being out of whack. Plenty of heavy bikes handle quite sweetly - I've a couple that are still a breeze to ride even when loaded up with overnight gear for example - but if your position and weight distribution doesn't afford you the right balance and leverage, it really won't matter if the bike is flyweight, it'll always just feel out of your control.

Perky

Post by Perky »

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to update you after all you help and advice, both bike-related and relationship-wise, lol!

Well, you guys gave me a great boost and as a result I turned into some super-assertive ninja and told my partner to back off and I'd be choosing and buying my own bike without his input!

Lots of online research and solo shop visits followed, followed by a false start on a joint visit to a shop where he was told he could come in and look at the men's bikes, but leave me alone in the women's department. Of course he couldn't resist joining me, but as soon as I heard him sucking his teeth behind me and muttering 'ooh you don't want that one!', I aborted the visit instantly and calmly walked out - I think that's when he knew I really meant business!

By the time I had narrowed it down to two bikes, he was ready to come with me and actually LISTEN objectively to the very experienced cyclist salesman. Some of his objections to a particular bike were addressed during the conversation and he actually learnt some stuff he thought he knew, woooo!

Anyway the upshot is, I'm the very happy owner of a Giant Liv Invite 1 - a cyclocross bike. T'is a beauty! And what a difference!! I'm soooo much more confident on it - still terrified on the road but no longer terrified of my ability to control the bike. Ancient muscle memory kicked in and I just feel at home on it. Now I feel I can progress at last and enjoy cycling like I used to years ago. And my partner...? Thinking of buying a cyclocross bike for himself as mine seems such fun and flexible! Lol! :lol:

Thank you all for your encouragement and advice - much appreciated. :D
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Awesome, that's made my day!

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

8) 8) Thanks for the update! Enjoy your new bike!!! 8) 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Perky wrote:mine seems such fun and flexible!

It's a good way to start out again. A nice do it all bike to let you explore.

Worth a look at Aldis Sunday cycle clothing and kit event for budget shorts/tops/backpacks etc.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Agree that it's hard to beat a modern cx* for versatility and outright fun! This thing keeps up on club runs, loads up and tours, clocked my first century a few weeks ago (20% offroad) and thrashes mountain bikes at anything up to red trail centres - it truly is a phenomenal thing! Certain you'll have the same experience with yours, hope you enjoy it just as much [emoji2]

*it's not a cx, but that's a petty rant for another day [emoji6] ImageImageImage