Bib shorts

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bobbyg

Bib shorts

Post by bobbyg »

Last year I thought about getting my first pair of bib shorts as, carrying a wee bit extra weight round the belly like I do, normal shorts have a habit of rolling down the waistband.

I tried a pair on in Evans, think they were Altura but, how can I put this, I felt that I looked like someone from a dodgy sex film! And the straps rubbed my chest!

So, were all guys like this first time they wore them, do you wear a t shirt or something under the straps, and if I try again is there any make etc that are more suited for me, the commuter cyclist , as opposed to an out an out road champ?
pwa

Re: Bib shorts

Post by pwa »

Unless you have a slim physique you will not look good above the waist with bib shorts, until you put a shirt over it. Get the largest size that fits and the straps will not dig in. And wear a minimal vest to stop the straps rubbing.

For anyone who has not tried them, bib shorts effectively have built-in braces and the waist is kept in place by the straps. The back comes up higher than with other shorts, meaning there is no chance of a chilly gap developing between shirt and shorts. But they are less convenient when you need the loo, more so for women.
Heltor Chasca

Bib shorts

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Bibs are supremely comfortable and contrary to pwa's thoughts, they may actually hold your love handles in. Cheaper than liposuction and fairly aero.

I am unsure of your gender, but allow for a new technique when stopping for a comfort break. Some bending and yanking required if standing. Or, should you need to be seated, any layers above the bib straps need to come off. Any layers under the bib straps need to be short at the waist or else they roll/fold up under the shorts defeating the object of comfort.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Bibs are supremely comfortable and contrary to pwa's thoughts, they may actually hold your love handles in. Cheaper than liposuction and fairly aero.

I am unsure of your gender, but allow for a new technique when stopping for a comfort break. Some bending and yanking required if standing. Or, should you need to be seated, any layers above the bib straps need to come off.

Perhaps your love handles are less of a challenge than mine! But really, it doesn't matter what the upper half looks like because it is hidden under a shirt. It just needs to be comfy. I found that I need a thin, mesh vest under straps to stop nipple chafing. And a size that is not too small. All that done, bib shorts can be the most comfortable solution for long rides.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

bobbyg wrote: ... I felt that I looked like someone from a dodgy sex film! And the straps rubbed my chest! ...

That sounds like two separate issues rolled into one.

If it feels uncomfortable it doesn't fit. You'd not be the first cyclist to have a relatively tight lower half (through pedalling) and a flabbier upper body (through things like eating too much.)

The other is self-image. If you think it looks silly, you will feel silly. I'd say either go for different togs or stop worrying about appearance. If you go for the latter approach, avoid looking at you reflection in shop windows as you ride by.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Endura FS260 Pro II Bib Shorts are so comfortable that I hardly notice that I am wearing them. As for sizing, I chose XL with the red pad and I have a 36" waist. I suggest ordering several pairs off Wiggle and send back the ones that don't fit.

The bib tights are equally good but both are pricey unless you get them at sale prices. Wiggle currently have large shorts at half price.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Re the urination factor (sounds like a Robert Ludlum novel) the current generation of Assos shorts is OK, but the old blue-pad ones came so high up the front that to pass water one had to assume much the same position as with aerobars.

Re sizing, it's best if shorts are a bit tight: you don't want what the French delicately refer to as le paquet falling over the side and getting mashed against the saddle. Containment is comfort.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

I just bought my first ever bib shorts after decades of cycling in running tights. I can't believe how I have missed out during those many years of failing to experiment. The bib shorts were Wiggle's own dhb branding. Cost me £23 odds with a 10% discount and free postage. I am 60, 34" waist, 29 inside leg and weigh 12.5 stone. Large size was a perfect fit. I sometimes wear them over my Nike leggings to add to the comfort (shorts have padded insert). A suitable top - jersey, jacket, gilet - keeps the belly in and the braces on the shorts stops them from creeping down and becoming uncomfortable. 10/10 Wiggle and dhb, These shorts have motivated me to get out more than ever.
bobbyg

Post by bobbyg »

Cheers for all the replies - I think I might go for the ones from Wiggle as these are relatively cheap and will give me an "in" to the bib shorts to see if it is something that I will get used to.
Assume in the summer / warm times you effectively need to wear two layers then, one under the straps to stop chaffing etc and then one over them?
JeremyB

Post by JeremyB »

Nowhere to put your phone though...
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

bobbyg wrote:Assume in the summer / warm times you effectively need to wear two layers then, one under the straps to stop chaffing etc and then one over them?

Nah. As said, as long as you get the correct size, rubbing/chaffing shouldn't be an issue. Some shorts will have a mesh sort of fabric on the braces and back which imo is even better. Tenn shorts from Amazon are good. Quite cheap too. I've 3 pairs myself. Get a size up from normal though as they tend to be on the small side.

JeremyB wrote:Nowhere to put your phone though...

Jersey pocket? Saddle bag? Bar bag? Strapped to the handlebar via silicon rubber phone holder thingy?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

bobbyg wrote:I might go for the ones from Wiggle

Going with Wiggle gives you the option of buying two sizes and returning the wrong one, their returns process is simple.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I wear a thin vest and jersey over the top (thin vest even in the hottest of summer days). I could never go back to non-bib shorts.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
bobbyg

Post by bobbyg »

Cheers for the input - ordered and received the two pairs from Wiggle, the Large will be going back and I will keep the XL! What was I saying about my belly......
Still abit cold to wear them on morning commute but tempted to maybe also get a pair of long legged ones to get into the feel of wearing the bibs.

Cheers for all the input :D