Cheapish waterproof rucksack

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bobbyg

Cheapish waterproof rucksack

Postby bobbyg » 10 Apr 2017, 8:29pm

Currently I have a rucksack that I got from Aldi and a waterproof cover that I got from Decathlon.

The rucksack zip always gets caught in the material around the zip and is a pain and the separate cover really annoys me having to clip on and off every time I use it.

I'd prefer to get a decent rucksack, maybe anything up to £50, that is already waterproof and doesn't need an additional cover. I also like bright / hi vis, loop for a light.

Any suggestions?

Bez

Re: Cheapish waterproof rucksack

Postby Bez » 10 Apr 2017, 8:43pm

Alpkit Gourdon…?

robgul

Postby robgul » 10 Apr 2017, 8:46pm

My wife now uses a Victorinox rucksack - £53 from Amazon last week - lightweight, waterproof and looks good (replaced her previous Blacks own brand bag) - it's the black version but they also do it in red (as the Victorinox penknives)

Lots of pockets and works fine for her work-commute to London every day.

Rob

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 10 Apr 2017, 8:52pm

Do you want waterproof or cheap? It's the usual story i'm afraid.

Try Decathlon - they might have something claiming to be waterproof in that price range.

IME you have to spend somewhat more for something that will keep the wet out for a full day without assistance.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Norman H

Postby Norman H » 10 Apr 2017, 9:15pm

Ortleib do roll top waterproof rucksacks but they're not cheap. I've seen this offering from Clas Ohlson. It looked to be well made and good value for money.

Elizabethsdad

Postby Elizabethsdad » 11 Apr 2017, 6:46am

The cheapest way to waterproof a rucksack? put a bin liner inside it, put the stuff you want to stay dry in the bin liner and seal it with a sandwich bag clip. If you want to go cheaper, use those collection bags that criminal gangs posing as charities put through your letter box.

Heltor Chasca

Postby Heltor Chasca » 11 Apr 2017, 7:02am

As above. LOMO or Alpkit.

MarkGraham

Postby MarkGraham » 11 Apr 2017, 4:37pm

Better still B and M sell 'rubble' bags - like bin liners but much tougher, a whole roll is very cheap and they last for ages, fit panniers, rucksacks etc.

bobbyg

Postby bobbyg » 17 Apr 2017, 12:15pm

Cheers for feedback, whilst looking online at some of the recommendations here I came across the Oxford Aqua range and have bought one of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N4R17J9/ ... TE_3p_dp_1

a good bit bigger and stiffer than my existing rucksack but I cant seek out fully waterproof and then expect it to be as light! I am always keen on having high vis colours so this appealed to me and is fully waterproof including the zipped pocket (which some others weren't).

Cycled in to work today and never noticed anything untoward with it being a bit heavier and bulkier so, so far, so good!

Cheers for all the assistance :D

Sooper8

Postby Sooper8 » 22 Apr 2017, 9:33am

I have an Exped one that is a great backpack, totally waterproof with roll top. I don't think it was dirt cheap, but maybe in the region of £25 new.

EDIT - apologies...just read that you've already bought one
Everything you love,everything meaningful with depth & history,all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated,mishandled,watered down,cheapened, repackaged,marketed & sold to the people you hate
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/sooper8cycling

Gattonero

Postby Gattonero » 23 Apr 2017, 1:12pm

MarkGraham wrote:Better still B and M sell 'rubble' bags - like bin liners but much tougher, a whole roll is very cheap and they last for ages, fit panniers, rucksacks etc.

Indeed.
When on the budget, it works wonders. I always carry one or two of those "though" plastic bags when touring, they can be incredibly useful with hardly any weight/bulk penalty. I.e. good to sit on wet grass, to keep dirt or wet clothes, etc.

If in need of something made out of fabric, there's cheap "dry-bags" easily available at any camping/sporting store. The big advantage is that you pull them out the rucksack/pannier bag, leaving the latter by the house/tent entrance so they will drip down and hopefully dry a bit, while you got all your contents ready at hand and dry. Very convenient.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 23 Apr 2017, 1:20pm

Norman H wrote:Ortleib do roll top waterproof rucksacks but they're not cheap. I've seen this offering from Clas Ohlson. It looked to be well made and good value for money.

I have a similar Asaklitt rucksack & it does what it says on the tin. I'd buy another one.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

GrumpyGit

Postby GrumpyGit » 30 Apr 2017, 8:47am

Have you seen the bags from "Overboard"?

They do a wide range of completely waterproof bags, I've got a couple of different ones and have (so far) found they keep my kit completely dry.

http://www.over-board.co.uk/pro-vis-wat ... itres.html
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)