Rear Wheel Odometer for Turbo Trainer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
spottedhaggis

Rear Wheel Odometer for Turbo Trainer

Post by spottedhaggis »

I have been given a turbo trainer, which I will use to get more fit with the aim of being able to go out and cycle for longer runs.
I have a speedo/odometer on my bie but its on the front wheel, mainly because it nees to be close to the bagnet on the wheel. This of course means when on the TT I have no idea how far I have cycled.
Can anyone recommend a suitable solution for this, but I cant afford to go out and spend a fortune on a clever speedo so either a mod for the one I have or a new but cheaper one would be good.

Thanks in advance
Norman H

Re: Rear Wheel Odometer for Turbo Trainer

Post by Norman H »

I presume your present computer is wireless.

You may be lucky and get your present computer to operate on the rear wheel especially if you fit fresh batteries and/or mount the head unit on the top tube to get it as close to the sender unit as possible. Failing that, a cheap wired computer can usually be rigged up to operate on the rear wheel.

Computers that use combined speed and cadence sensors (wired or wireless) also operate on the rear wheel but will be more expensive.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Norman H wrote:Failing that, a cheap wired computer can usually be rigged up to operate on the rear wheel.

True.

Buy a cheap wired speedo for £8 from Wilkos or even cheaper from Aldi or Lidl when they have their bike sales.

Lengthen the wire by snipping it and inserting an extra length of twin core wire. Any wire will do.

I've inserted new bits of wire on my three 15 year old plus Cat Eye computers several times as their cables have been broken or chafed over the years.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

blackbike wrote:
Norman H wrote:Failing that, a cheap wired computer can usually be rigged up to operate on the rear wheel.

True.

Buy a cheap wired speedo for £8 from Wilkos or even cheaper from Aldi or Lidl when they have their bike sales.

Lengthen the wire by snipping it and inserting an extra length of twin core wire. Any wire will do.

I've inserted new bits of wire on my three 15 year old plus Cat Eye computers several times as their cables have been broken or chafed over the years.

took the words from my mouth