Cycling in Torbay

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Samwhile

Cycling in Torbay

Post by Samwhile »

Hello I am looking for some advice I have recently purchased a bike and I'm looking at doing some off-road cycling. I am from Torbay and ideally I would like somewhere not too challenging. I am a complete newbie to cycling and me mounting a bike and almost taking out the shelving units in Halfords was the first time I had been on a bike in around 15 years.. (you can see what you are working with here!)

Any recommendations on local (ish) places to go? I don't mind travelling a little further afield.

So far I have on my list haldon forest and Torbay velopark. I'm also aware of the camel trail in Cornwall. Are there any other off road experiences.. preferably trails for an absolute novice

Thank you
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Cycling in Torbay

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Welcome to the best place to live in the country by far :D
Haldon is good for getting confidence and is safe too.

I would ask how off roading you want to do also :?:
You will have to move out of Torbay for anything other than tarmac for sure.
Torquay to Newton Abbot to Bovey Tracy has some off road cycle path too, nice and flat with some roads.
There is Dawlish to Exe trail and on to Exeter and on to Exmouth, pleasant mostly off the road but soft cycle paths if that is what you want?
Dartmoor is probably best, Plym valley to tavistock, up hill but good and safe.
The Granit Cycleway, Oakhampton to Lydford, easy pleasant and safe all cyclepath.

Then there is many disused railways on Dartmoor, these are a bit rougher and challenging, views are unsurpassed for sure, many many more on Dartmoor if you also do the bridleways and tracks, these are more challenging but rewarding.
Good luck.
Oh, velo park that's for kiddys :)

No thing I have mentioned is hard core for sure so don't be put off.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Samwhile

Post by Samwhile »

Thank you for your advice I've had a look at a trail near princetown around a reservoir so I might give that a go this weekend :) in terms of 'off Road' I literally mean I don't want to be around traffic... I'm not safe enough to trust myself at the moment! So I'm not looking at rough and tumble tracks infact quite the opposite .. nice little dirt track will do me nicely :) I had a little look at this route and it looked pretty flat and safe

http://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/__data/asset ... et2015.pdf

Not sure if 30km is too long for a rookie ride though
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
That's part of one of my training rides, and as of late its gets a bit bumpy, this is railway tracks!
The others I mentioned are all cycle paths mostly, easy.
Take you time and it will be OK.
Get yourself a OS Map http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OL28-Dartmoor ... SwA3dYhpoy
Sousons Down woods & Beliver Woods, near Postbridge easy tracks.
Oakhampton, then head south to the army camp onto the moor via a road (granite cycle way is here too) there are 70 plus miles of army tracks, took me over three days with camping gear to cover them :?
But you can cycle up to the highest two tors on Dartmoor from there :) Yes Tor And High Willays, don't be fooled they are easy to walk / cycle to from the army camp.
At Princetown go to the Foxtor café and up the left side of it on a short road, through a gate an you can head on to Nuns Cross Farm and over Elsbarrow Tin mine and down to the road south of Burrator.
At Bittaford there is a 12 mile railway track that goes north onto the moor, as railway tracks have gentle gradients, they are easy but they are rocky too, but you will need to cycle back too :(
It hits the abbots way at end, which is cycleable but tough as the start is four miles up hill and two on grass, Buckfast abbey to tavistock, cuts through princetown.
You need the map then you can go anywhere you could cycle.
Officially there is no more than, Granite cycle way Oakhampton to Lydford (easiest of the lot) , Prince Town to Burrator, Tavistock to Plymton, easy but takes you from moor at 1400 feet to the sea or vice versa.

You need the map, you won't get lost on any of the tracks just retrace your route, the map makes it more interesting.
There is much more on Dartmoor too, none of its advertised, but that means its quite.
Take two bottles to drink and some rations, waterproof jacket is advisable and check the weather otherwise the Dartmoor Rescue will be after you :lol:

Good luck and enjoy.

P.S. The cycle paths that do exist in Torbay are atrocious and dangerous, you have been warned.
Some people have died recently on them :twisted:
I would skip them what little miles they cover and head off to one of the ones I suggested, take care.
s1965c

Post by s1965c »

N.A.'s advice is good, but I'm not sure Samwhile is at a level where he'll be comfortable with true tracks yet. To the uninitiated, those type of tracks are hard work and exhausting.

I'd start off on the Granite Way or the Exe Estuary trail. Neither have traffic, or challenging hills. The Tarka Trail in North Devon is good too, it's a pretty train ride up to Barnstaple then you can go in either direction.

Try those first, then see how you feel.
_________
LEJoG slug
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
s1965c wrote:N.A.'s advice is good, but I'm not sure Samwhile is at a level where he'll be comfortable with true tracks yet. To the uninitiated, those type of tracks are hard work and exhausting.

I'd start off on the Granite Way or the Exe Estuary trail. Neither have traffic, or challenging hills. The Tarka Trail in North Devon is good too, it's a pretty train ride up to Barnstaple then you can go in either direction.

Agreed, start on the easy stuff as said, the tracks aren't exactly true hardcore but anything other than the few cycle paths that exist will as said sap your whole body, but part of cycling is getting fit :)
Trouble with the cycle paths are that there is no view, good luck.
Plenty of coffee shops at Exeter on the canal and Exmouth if you get there, Double Locks pub between powderham and exeter :)
Samwhile

Post by Samwhile »

s1965c wrote:N.A.'s advice is good, but I'm not sure Samwhile is at a level where he'll be comfortable with true tracks yet. To the uninitiated, those type of tracks are hard work and exhausting.

This post made me laugh... I have literally took my bike off the rack and walked it up my drive, gone over on my ankle and face planted the floor trying to keep my bike up! I'm definaty not ready for true tracks! .... maybe I should stick some stabilisers on and head to the velopark! Oh I'm female btw :)

Thanks for your advice I think I will head for the easy route from okehampton to lydford this weekend and ease myself in... assuming I can walk back down my drive again without making a hash of it! If you don't hear from me by Sunday evening send out a rescue party!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I can recommend the railway station at oakhampton for food :)
Have a nice time.