On Radio 4 this morning + is healthy

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

A study reveals that cycling to work has positive health benefits particularly with heart disease and cancer.

They'll be telling us that The Pope is Catholic next.....
Tinnishill

Cycling takes no willpower + is healthy

Post by Tinnishill »

Here's an article on BBC Scotland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39641122
tykeboy2003

Re: Cycling takes no willpower

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Quite agree, in fact it takes effort NOT to cycle, on the odd day that it pees it down or I have to drive for some other reason, I feel genuinely disappointed.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well yes dont take any will power until one of three/four things happen

a) steep hill
b) strong head wind
c) rain
d) you are fat
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

well yes dont take any will power until one of three/four things happen

a) steep hill
b) strong head wind
c) rain
d) you are fat

What a negative reply to such a positive report.

At 81 I can still ride up to 60 miles and am a regular on one of our easier Saturday clubruns. I must admit to taking hills in moderation.

I put it down to having started cycling at 13, riding to school and then commuting to work for 44 years. Total mileage is now over 350,000, not particularly high as family commitments ruled out any temptation to indulge in protracted rides like touring. Time trialling and audaxes were the main non-commuting miles.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:well yes dont take any will power until one of three/four things happen

a) steep hill
b) strong head wind
c) rain
d) you are fat

The aerobelly of d cancels out the headwind in b, doesn't it? ;-)

More seriously, wind and rain are less frequent reasons for not cycling than losing/damaging a bike and disliking busy roads.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

i never struggle with willpower, my problem is oxygen debt. flying through woodland is really fun, and my only gripe is that there are no ewoks or storm troopers chasing me. willpower... pffftt.
poshdog

Re: On Radio 4 this morning + is healthy

Post by poshdog »

I like riding in the rain! Wind not so much, but turn around and that pesky headwind turns into a glorious tailwind. Wheee!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

poshdog wrote:I like riding in the rain! Wind not so much, but turn around and that pesky headwind turns into a glorious tailwind. Wheee!

The joy of a moveable destination eh...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
robgul

Post by robgul »

tykeboy2003 wrote:A study reveals that cycling to work has positive health benefits particularly with heart disease and cancer.

They'll be telling us that The Pope is Catholic next.....

... if you cycle TO work and then BACK home again does that obviate all risk of ill health ....

IGMC

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

What's great is that the media are onto it. It's not usual for them work in our favour so let's count our blessings and they are the catalyst for change at least

I don't have a telly, but it was even on the BBC news channel when I was in the bank of his afternoon.

(Handing over my wages to the giant marshmallow sat behind the desk)
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

To late for me I don't work any more,I just ride around taking pleasure in the surroundings so I guess I won't be saved
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

mercalia wrote:well yes dont take any will power until one of three/four things happen

a) steep hill
b) strong head wind
c) rain
d) you are fat

E-bike, E-bike, cape, E-bike.

I think homicidal traffic is the major reason for not cycling. And the best way to reduce traffic is to get more people cycling...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

welll there was also a recent health report on the BBC news website, on the tiny particles that diesels give out. Seems like they dont just get into the lungs but pass there into the blood stream and the body. And goodness knows what they then do? The report was based on just as small gold particles that could be traced rather than the vehicles ones. Puts me off cycling where there is much traffic. So maybe thats a large -ve for cycling to work ( in London )
mjr

Post by mjr »

Ruadh495 wrote:I think homicidal traffic is the major reason for not cycling. And the best way to reduce traffic is to get more people cycling...

You can think that, but surveys suggest it's more subtle than that: even when people don't feel particularly in danger from it, they aren't attracted to riding on roads busy with motorists. I suspect less frequent riders feel it's stressful having to watch all those potential major hazards as one rides, rather than riding along a greenway with limited junctions and other similar lightweight users doing similar speeds.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.