Urgent help needed - Dahon Folding Bikes!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
KHNcycler

Urgent help needed - Dahon Folding Bikes!

Post by KHNcycler »

I all!

I was wondering if someone could shed some light for me.

I'm looking to get a folding bike under the cycle scheme for commuting in London. I can spend up to £500 (can't go above as it's via a certificate), and I'm really keen to get the best I can for the price!

After searching the internet for hours, I've decided on a Dahon. Only there seems to be a million different models out there and I don't know which is best for me within my price range!
My logic was to go to a shop in London which sells them and try some out. Only after calling around I can't find any which deal them. I need to make my choice by early next week in order to get my bike by May...
At the moment it's between a...

2017 DAHON VITESSE D8
2016 Dahon VIGOR D9
Dahon Vybe D7 20w 2017

I have no idea which one is best between them! Looks like I'm going to have to take a punt and order online without trying them out!
Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Cheers!
reohn2

Re: Urgent help needed - Dahon Folding Bikes!

Post by reohn2 »

To make matters worse:- https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/urban-bi ... ike-p15351
I bought one a couple of months ago and quite like it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
JJF

Post by JJF »

My cycling partner bought her Dahon at Fudge's cycles in Chiswick. They stock various models. She has had the bike for (guess) 5 or six years and has used it for local rides and short tours in France, Holland, Belgium and Germany. Hers is a Speed 7.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Just had a very quick look via google - is the Vitesse the only one of the three that comes with mudguards and a rear rack? That might be important to you. I can't really tell/don't really know how the quality differs between the models but the Vigor D9 looks like it might have a better frame and components and it is lighter but there's not a lot in it (11.7kg compared to Vitesse 12.7kg & Vybe 12.3kg). The Vigor was a lot more expensive than the other two where I saw them.

Triton list the specs as per below - others will undoubtedly know which are the better components. Triton's prices are (as near as dammit) £500 for the Vybe, £450 for the Vitesse and £850 for the Vigor. Personally I like the Vitesse - but when I bought a folder, I got a Tern C7 and bunged a Tern Cargo rack on it.

This folder offers convenience and true riding comfort at a surprisingly low price. The Vybe D7 boasts long-lasting components from a Radius® handlepost to Fusion® and V-Clamp technologies.

Features:

Folded Size : 30 × 80 x 66 cm (11.8" × 31.5" × 26")
Approx. Weight: 12.3kg (27.12lbs)
20" Wheels
7 Speed Shimano gearing with twist shifter
Patented Radius handlepost, made from forged aluminium, provides a stiff and strong connection to the frame and fork
Alloy V-brakes
Dahon II Frame Geometry enables a pleasant, safe and harmonious ride

The Vitesse D8 is built on Dahon’s popular Vitesse frame. A reliable Shimano 8-speed shifting system is combined with a soft, plush saddle. Its easy portability makes it perfect for multi-modus travel. A rack and mudguards (fenders) are included.

Specifications:

Folded Size: 29 x 80 x 66cm
Approx. Fold Time: 15 seconds
Frame: Lightweight Dalloy Sonus Tubeset, Forged Lattice Hinge w Vicegrip Technology
Fork: Smooth Riding and Stable Hi-Ten Steel Blades and Steerer.
Handlepost: Dahon Forged Aluminum Radius-V Handlepost
Drivetrain: 8 Speed Shimano RD-M310 rear derailleur and Trigger shifter, DuPont L3 lubricated shift cable
Wheels: 20" Aluminium Rims with 20 Hole Front and 28 Hole rear hub
Brakes: Winzip Smooth and Powerful 110mm V-Brakes
Grips: Black rubber grips
Saddle: New soft Plush saddle
Pedals: Folding pedals
Extra: Rear rack, mudguards, kickstand
Approx. Weight: 12.7 kg (28 lbs)
Size: One Size fits all

The Vigor D9 can tackle the urban jungle or breeze any footpath. It can then easily be folded down to be packed in the back of a car or put on the train. With a stiff alloy hydroformed frame with an easy compact fold, the Vigor is difficult to beat!

Features:

Folded Size : 66 x 34 x 81cm (26” x 13.4” x 31.9”)
Weight: 11.7kg (25.79lbs)
Nimble yet confident 20" wheels
Hydroformed Dalloy Vigor frame is a stable and stiff ride
SRAM 9 speed derailleur and trigger shifter
SRAM AVID FR5 V-Brakes
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Vybe is budget bike with budget components
Vitesse is good alrouder
Vigor won't take mudguards
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

....and when you have got one, make sure you keep the folding clamps properly adjusted so they clamp up tightly/securely. I would say 1/2 the Dahons I service come with the frame clamp and stem clamp loose/not tight enough, allowing folding joint flex and wear.
If you need to fold and carry it/put in on the mother in laws Persian carpet, then get one with mud guards, otherwise it will be completely filthy!
KHNcycler

Post by KHNcycler »

Thank you so much for the feedback guys. I feel a little more clued up now.

I'm happy to pay for accessories such as mudguards out of my own pocket and totally get how important they are! So that rules out the Vigor.
Just between the Vybe and the Vitesse, leaning towards the Vitesse after everyones comments!
I'm a complete newbie to the bike scene so can't really tell which components of which bike are better...any insight I'd be massively grateful.
I'm reading that the sport range is probably the most loved online, however can't seem to find them anywhere within my budget.

Thanks again everyone!
Kate
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Check to see if they have a bracket or mounting point at the front where you could attach a Brompton style bag. I have a mu p8 which doesn't and I find having the weight on the front balances it nicely. Overall I quite like the dahon and it has been useful on trains.
KHNcycler

Post by KHNcycler »

I *think* I'm going to go with fudges and opt for this! I'll definitely ask if there's any possibility for a fixture at the front.

http://fudgescyclestore.com/product/dahon_vitesse_d8
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

KHNcycler wrote:I *think* I'm going to go with fudges and opt for this! I'll definitely ask if there's any possibility for a fixture at the front.

http://fudgescyclestore.com/product/dahon_vitesse_d8

In the link the rear deraillier(mech) is listed as a conventional Shimano Acera unit which will be cheap as chips to replace,on Dahon's website it's listed as a Neos.
Given that the rear mech is prone to wear and damage in a fall the Neos mech is a very expensive item and one of the reasons I went for the Tern Link N8 (Claris mech=cheap),so I'd check it out with the retailer.
Another point worth thinking about is the gearing.The crankset on the Vitesse D8 has a fixed chainring,so if the bike is too geared toohigh ie;if some long or steep hills are involved,you'd need to change the whole crankset to one with a smaller chainring to lower the gearing.
Again it's one of the reasons I chose the Tern as the crankset has the facility to change chainrings so I can choose to lower the gearing by just buying a smaller chainring,which I did,it came with a 53tooth ring and I lowered it to a 42tooth.

As someone new to cycling these are points easily missed when buying any bike,and with folders they need to be durable,good frame folding hinges well adjusted and gearing that works and is the correct range for the type of cycling intended.
Just some things to consider before buying.
W H Auden
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've been commuting with a second-hand Vitesse for several years now. Excellent bike for the purpose, and a good range of gears. The Neos derailleur may be a custom component, but it's robust and reliable. The point about mudguards and a rack is well made, although the wheels are too small to have standard panniers alongside them, really. I use an after-market rack that sets the panniers higher.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

drossall wrote:I've been commuting with a second-hand Vitesse for several years now. Excellent bike for the purpose, and a good range of gears. The Neos derailleur may be a custom component, but it's robust and reliable.

I've no doubt about the Neos mech reliability,I was more concerned about cost of replacement if damaged.
The point about mudguards and a rack is well made, although the wheels are too small to have standard panniers alongside them, really. I use an after-market rack that sets the panniers higher.

I agree about m/guards and rack,I should think a rack for 24inch wheel bikes would be OK,we have one on the Circe tandem though don't use panniers.
One thing that has been huge improvement comfortwise on my Tern Link N8 is fitting Big Apple 50mm(45mm actual size) tyres after the 35mm(32mm actual size) harsh riding Kojaks the bike came with.
W H Auden
drossall

Post by drossall »

The rack I have is the Dahon Ultimate. With the optional Stash Box (shown in that picture), it's a good addition. The higher rack sides mean that I can fit standard Ortlieb City Roller panniers (or other makes, obviously).

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Good looking sturdy rack at a good price too,and I really like the 'stash box' :)
W H Auden
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

reohn2 wrote:Good looking sturdy rack at a good price too,and I really like the 'stash box' :)

Yes I like that as well. How does it affect the portability and the fold?

I found the standard rack useless as I catch my heels on anything mounted to it. I now either use a briefcase bungied to the handlebar or an unsupported saddlebag depending on purpose. The saddlebag is pretty good for overnight business trips. I look enviously at the stylish front mounted brompton luggae that wouldn't fit on my mu p8