What is your most used chain ring- sprocket combination

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
iandriver

Re: What is your most used chain ring- sprocket combination

Post by iandriver »

Living in a flat area, the 39 tooth middle ring of a road tripple suits me well. I virtually never use the other rings. If I've let the chain go too far, it's pretty much always the 13t rear that has suffered the most. 700c wheels and 37mm tyres, so about 82.20 gear inches. But like I say, my 15 mile commute to work has 85ish ft of climbing in total, and 40 ft of that is one large railway bridge.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Living in a hilly area, my only answer to "What is your most used chain ring- sprocket combination?" I can only say either top gear or bottom gear.

Top gear for the longest distance, and bottom gear for the longest time.
Mick F. Cornwall
mig

Post by mig »

48 x 17 on 700c wheels
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mig wrote:48 x 17 on 700c wheels
74 gear inches or so.
Seems fine by me.
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

I'm with MickF on this, certainly with the most time in bottom gear. With top gear, it may be engaged but may well not be being pedalled.

iandriver wrote:...my 15 mile commute to work has 85ish ft of climbing in total, and 40 ft of that is one large railway bridge.

I have approximately 250ft of ascent in the last 1/2 mile coming home. If I'm returned from Wigan station (a regular bike & train run for me) I log over 900ft of ascent in 7.5 miles! :-D Not Flatlandia here.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Wigan and Horwich. Good ride!
Brought up in Wigan from Wigan parentage ............. and ancestors. I still have the Wiggin accent a bit.

Used to cycle to school, then moved out to Parbold, then Newburgh, and still cycled to school.
As teenagers, me and my mate would ride up to Rivington and Belmont and back, and a few times up over the Trough of Bowland and back via Garstang.

Happy days. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Top Gear :)
I try and gear my skip trainers so I can push top gear on the flat, typically I do 10-15 miles on second half of a 36 mile course at about 18-22 mph.
It requires some standing and some filling loosening on at least one hill :) 42 years ago I would cycle this hill in 2nd from top in the saddle (ten speed), bike would of been less than half the weight then, not the 50Ibs it is today.
Skip trainer 42 X 12 = 91"
Tourer would be 42 X 15 / 13 = 76 / 87" (top is 103") Big jumps I can only find a 78.5" on the middle clanger rear block is wide spaced :(
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.