Beeline bike compass

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sweep

Re: Beeline bike compass

Post by Sweep »

philvantwo wrote:Yes, write and tell Father Christmas you'd rather have a Garmin instead!

+1

and something sensible like the 20x.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mjr wrote:
Richard Fairhurst wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:. Its voice prompts are generally more useful but a bit chatty:

what does it chat about?

Grumbles about the weather?

Scurrilous comments about the places you are passing through?

I do use OSMand but only offline not for actually navigating on the bike - I use an Etrex 20 or 20x for that.

I must say I really can't understand folk wanting to go on a bike ride and have something nattering in their ear.

And also don't see why it's necessary - I've got eyes.

Next year's innovation I suppose will be something which pokes you in the ribs, left or right, or fires a few volts through you.
Sweep
Mainframeguy

Post by Mainframeguy »

Oh dear, what a lot of bah humbug!

Having just received a beeline as a birthday present I'd like to offer up my first days experience....

Initially I hit a few teething troubles, for example didn't realise one had to use a setup option for stem mounting.

Having sorted the configuration the afternoon ride was most interesting, having chosen something of a magical mys5tour I found myself in an unknown area and furthermore went "off piste" away from the route.

Then I pulled over and set a new route to take me home. That's where it got interesting, since the beeline gave me very clear directions including two cycle highway only portions of the route. This was really clever and useful, the second route being the back end of a cut through I knew, and quite envigoratingbon my MTB.

I admit I was already sold on the idea of the beeline, so it was an easy"sell" to me, but the execution of the concept is near flawless to me and I'm looking forward to many happy miles and never getting lost on my bike again! To my mind this is pretty good value to.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Mainframeguy wrote:Oh dear, what a lot of bah humbug! <SNIP>.

Your post intrigued me because you described the Beeline navigating in a way which it was not intended to do so when this thread was first started. I just went to the Beeline website and see that it does now allow turn by turn navigation and route planning. The original idea was that it would only point to the destination irrespective of roads, tracks etc. and it was that functionality that was derided earlier in this thread.

It seems that the makers of Beeline realised that their original idea was so bad that it needed changing. As it stands now, it is just an interface between a phone based route planner and rider; personally I am happy to use the phone screen for that purpose and I have a handlebar mounted phone case to that end.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)