Beeline bike compass

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
RodT

Beeline bike compass

Post by RodT »

Has anyone tried the Beeline 'compass' advertised in today's Cycleclips? I'd be grateful for any views on this little gadget. Thank you.
SimonCelsa

Re: Beeline bike compass

Post by SimonCelsa »

An acquaintance bought one in the development stage off kickstarter for £45. I believe they retail for double that now.

If you're wedded to a smartphone and enjoy planning routes then you might like it.....I would rather carry a basic map and use the sun as a rough compass than buy one of these.

If I were a cycle courier in an unfamiliar major city then I may identify more of the benefits.

Not much use in my opinion and far too expensive, my mate is selling his now,

All the best, Simon
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Many Garmin devices have a compass. Mine has.
Also, I think smart phones have them, so I can't see the benefits of a dedicated compass.
Mick F. Cornwall
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

It's not an actual compass, as in pointing north; it points at your destination.

I could see it being useful in a busy city, as you would only need the briefest of glances, allowing your attention to remain on the traffic, errant pedestrians etc.

There's no reason why a smartphone or GPS shouldn't do the same, but as far as I know, they all try to be cleverer.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

RodT wrote:Has anyone tried the Beeline 'compass' advertised in today's Cycleclips? I'd be grateful for any views on this little gadget. Thank you.

£99 is a bit steep IMO, you could get a Garmin Edge 200 that will do a lot more (if you want to see more information) and is proven reliable.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
freiston

Post by freiston »

I don't see the point - a lot of money and a big thing on your handlebar for constant reference to tell you something that isn't much use for actual navigation on the fly and I can't see it being especially easy to use to set up and navigate waypoints. If someone really wants to know how far and in what direction a place is, I'm sure most gps machines have a similar function (including phone apps).
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

andrew_s wrote:It's not an actual compass, as in pointing north; it points at your destination.
My Garmin Montana does that as well.

It's called Direct Routing.
Mick F. Cornwall
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

yes exactly - ditto my cheaper garmin etrex 20.
Sweep
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Sweep wrote:yes exactly - ditto my cheaper garmin etrex 20.

Yup, my E20 did the same - any handheld GPS will do this, turn-by-turn, and you can get handlebar mounts for them. Used E20 are quite cheap
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Do you know any good sources of quality used E20s murphy? Re the other thread on stocking up it might be an idea for me to get a spare or two as i know some have said that the display on the E20X is harder to read.
Sweep
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Burrows GPS are a good company, and they sell some factory recon units from time to time.
http://www.burrowsgps.co.uk/garmin-noh.html
I bought my Montana from them, and saved over a hundred quid.
Mick F. Cornwall
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Sweep wrote:Do you know any good sources of quality used E20s murphy? Re the other thread on stocking up it might be an idea for me to get a spare or two as i know some have said that the display on the E20X is harder to read.

Not as such - I sold mine privatley a while back, used Ebay to get a value, you might try there.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
robgul

Post by robgul »

The Beeline struck me as a (very pricey) solution looking for a problem. There are much better and more logical answers to navigatiing (although not Mr Garmin's efforts)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
freiston

Post by freiston »

I received an email from Evans today "introducing Beeline" and there's already three five-star reviews for it - incredible!
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

It costs £99, it needs a smartphone as well to do something very simple. And i see, oh my merry aunt, that it has an integral usb chargeeable battery.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't seen remaindered within a year or so.

One almost suspects that it is a secret garmin ploy to direct disappointed users to its own devices.
Sweep