Tyre Width - Specialized Sirrus / Axis 1.0

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ecuknw

Tyre Width - Specialized Sirrus / Axis 1.0

Post by ecuknw »

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could help me here. I bought a 2016 Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Hyrbid bike about 3 months ago. This was to replace a very old and decaying hybrid.

The bike came with Axis 1.0 Disc wheels and 700x30mm tyres. I was looking at potentially replacing them with 700x25mm tyres (generally the bike is used for commuting but since moving house the roads have become significantly better). I was looking at Continental Gatorskins (due to the problem with punctures on my commmute).

My question is, are 25mm tyres too narrow for these rims? Apologies for the stupid question but I can't seem to find too much information on these Axis 1.0 Disc tyres.

Thank you in advance!

Bike - https://www.specializedconceptstore.co. ... mp-carbon/
Brucey

Re: Tyre Width - Specialized Sirrus / Axis 1.0

Post by Brucey »

I would suggest that you stick with a ~30mm tyre; if you buy the right one it won't be 'slow' and I don't think those wheels are ideally suited to narrow tyres anyway. The other thing with skinny tyres is that you will need to pump them up about twice as often as fatter ones.

If you measure the internal width of the rim this will give a clue as to what range of tyre sizes is best suited.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~