Free drinking water - what are your rights?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39881236

I think it should be added as a keep it/sticky some where - we all need water when we are out on our bikes? and this info easy to overlook?

"All licensed premises in England and Wales are required by law to provide "free potable water" to anyone upon request. In Scotland a similar law applies, but specifies "tap water fit for drinking".

This means pubs, bars, nightclubs, cafes, restaurants, takeaway food and drink outlets, cinemas, theatres, and even village and community halls - so long as they are authorised to serve alcohol.

However, these premises can charge people for the use of a glass - or their service - when serving the "free" tap water.

There is no law regarding the provision of drinking water in licensed premises in Northern Ireland.
"

has any one here ever gone into a pub or other place and what was your experience. Long time ago on a tour that took me over the Fens in hottest summer a pub charged me to fill up my water bottle, presumably a charge for the service not the water?
Psamathe

Re: Free drinking water - what are your rights?

Post by Psamathe »

I am not sure the report is necessarily accurate as, from the Goervments Licensing
Guidance on Mandatory Licensing Conditions wrote:The 2014 Order provides that the responsible person must ensure that free potable water is provided on request for customers where it is reasonably available.

Many premises already offer free tap water. This condition means that responsible persons at all premises must ensure customers are provided with potable (drinking) water for free if they ask for it.

My bold,highlight colour.
From https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/350507/2014-08-29_MC_Guidance_v1_0.pdf - note that it's a PDF document so might start a download.

Ian
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

mercalia wrote:There is no law regarding the provision of drinking water in licensed premises in Northern Ireland.

Possibly because no-one in the country would think of denying you a glass of water if you asked.

I have stopped for water in bars here in France. Always free although I have sometimes had the impression I’m intruding. But my foreignness overshadows most odd requests I could make. And cyclists of the sweaty lycra and cleated shoes persuasion are not always welcome in places that serve food and drink (understandably so in my view).

In France, cemeteries are a good place to get water. They have taps for watering flowers. There are of course many cemeteries in this age-old country, so you usually come across one every few kilometres.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Is that potable water in cemeteries?

I've asked for bottles to be filled in the lakes and other popular hillwalking areas. Never had problems. However they were usually requested after the bought and paid for pint of beer. Usually the first request for bottle filling from our group led to a lot of them from the others. Must annoy them but yet to be turned down.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

If I want a free top-up of water, it seems like simple good manners to buy something first - they're trying to make a living, not running a charity. I've never been refused.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Recently flew from Bristol Airport. Took an empty water bottle to fill up when past the security check but you guessed it, no taps despite the airport web site saying they were available. Even asked a security guard patrolling and he said he had worked there for 3 years and never seen one. :shock:
Finally asked at one of the many departure side bars to fill it up. You can see why some passengers are well lubricated when they board the plane. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I wonder if the internet might make those minority of less cooperative landlords think again (these days). Say "no" to a thirsty cyclist or walker and by the end of the day you'll find a bad review under several review/Google web sites (and those bad reviews stay up there a long time compared to the impact of filling a bottle or two with tap water).

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

nirakaro wrote:If I want a free top-up of water, it seems like simple good manners to buy something first - they're trying to make a living, not running a charity. I've never been refused.
Absolutely +1

Cafes are a good bet.
Pot of tea and a sit down, and ask politely if they can fill up your bottle(s).
Mick F. Cornwall
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

nirakaro wrote:If I want a free top-up of water, it seems like simple good manners to buy something first - they're trying to make a living, not running a charity. I've never been refused.

+1
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

I've never been refused either, although I was once told I could fill my bottle up in the toilets. But if you're stopping at a pub, what are we supposed to buy? Crisps? Yuk. Orange juice @ £2 a 200ml bottle? That will make a water stop quite expensive, although more beneficial than crisps.

The point of free water is that in a developed country such as ours, water should easily be a right for any person. We shouldn't feel guilty about asking to have a bottle topped up or feeling obliged to buy pointless products. If there is a high demand, then out of good will, the locals should be able to sort out a water dispensing facility. Such generosity will pay back in unforseen ways (call it good karma).

In other countries, they have drinking water-fountains as well as public toilets in villages. These are just those basic common goods that any advanced society feels able to offer anyone, because the costs are basically inconsequential. Well certainly the water...
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I get my bottle filled in cafes and pubs reasonably regularly (in season), but I've always been a customer too - i.e at the elevenses stop,or at lunch.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

CREPELLO wrote:
I've never been refused either, although I was once told I could fill my bottle up in the toilets. But if you're stopping at a pub, what are we supposed to buy?

A pint of course.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pete75 wrote:
CREPELLO wrote:
I've never been refused either, although I was once told I could fill my bottle up in the toilets. But if you're stopping at a pub, what are we supposed to buy?

A pint of course.
+1

Packet of peanuts too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Water should be a right for any person...to go and fetch their own.

Expecting a business who have to pay staff for their time and provide a container to give you free water without buying something as well is extracting the urine.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Quite happy for them to point me at an appropriate tap...

But when they won't let you near a tap (quite rightly) then asking them to fill a bottle is an insignificant hardship.

If it becomes too regular then they can charge for their time - and that's fine.

Of course nowadays many places are on metered water - so there is a direct cost as well...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.