Women's padded shorts - rear padding only?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Greenmachine

Women's padded shorts - rear padding only?

Post by Greenmachine »

Hi, be glad to know if anyone has found padded shorts / briefs which have rear padding ONLY. Can't get on with front AND back padding, but google is pretty hopeless at finding this specific requirement! TIA
bogmyrtle

Re: Women's padded shorts - rear padding only?

Post by bogmyrtle »

I've never come across what you are describing.
If they exist I would be a bit concerned about the line of stitching at the front of the pad being abrasive to tender tissue.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I think you'd be unlikely to find anything ready made like that. Have you tried Corinne Dennis shorts? Her regular padding (NOT 'double comfort') isn't nearly as thick and nappy-like as usual. Also, it is in a single piece and if you were at all handy with a needle and thread you could cut the front section off.

I have some CD shorts and find them very comfortable. With those and a slotted saddle you might not need to remove the front padding.
Greenmachine

Post by Greenmachine »

Many thanks, will have a look at CD gear; yes, it's the one size fits all padding thick padding is not comfortable and I think can cause problems in itself.
TomFR

Post by TomFR »

Pardon my ignorance on this matter, but do women's cycling shorts differ that much from men's versions? Given that it's just a pad I can't imagine there makes that much of a difference in the shape that the pad is formed.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

TomFR wrote:Pardon my ignorance on this matter, but do women's cycling shorts differ that much from men's versions? Given that it's just a pad I can't imagine there makes that much of a difference in the shape that the pad is formed.

There isn't a huge difference. The pads in women's shorts are possibly slightly shorter and also wider at the back to account for wider hips.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

You could try rowing shorts, such as https://www.rock-the-boat.co.uk/products/supplex-shorts , or recumbent shorts - though I only know of US brands Kucharik and Reverse Gear (the latter being offering gender specific) http://www.reversegearinc.com/product-c ... ept/women/ .
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Could you not just simply cut a hole out of the front of those shorts removing the section of pad. Fashion-wise it might catch on.

A nightclub I once visited must have had a cycle club event/party going on as there were lots of men in their lycra shorts, similarly they had cut the rear padded section out. They said it was more comfortable on hard rides, so men must also have similar issues to women :) .
Greenmachine

Post by Greenmachine »

old_windbag wrote:Could you not just simply cut a hole out of the front of those shorts removing the section of pad. Fashion-wise it might catch on.

A nightclub I once visited must have had a cycle club event/party going on as there were lots of men in their lycra shorts, similarly they had cut the rear padded section out. They said it was more comfortable on hard rides, so men must also have similar issues to women :) .

Yes, I did think of that but thought the edges would fray and I'd end up ruining a not inexpensive garment!
Greenmachine

Post by Greenmachine »

BrownBear wrote:You could try rowing shorts, such as https://www.rock-the-boat.co.uk/products/supplex-shorts , or recumbent shorts - though I only know of US brands Kucharik and Reverse Gear (the latter being offering gender specific) http://www.reversegearinc.com/product-c ... ept/women/ .

Rowing gear looks interesting, thanks for idea. And recumbent shorts - who'd have thought it?! Makes sense though.
BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

You'd find recumbent shorts have more rear liner than rowing shorts, which simply have a double layer on the rear.
If I was going to modify a pad I'd do it on a pair of padded undershorts.