Turbo trainer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
djbs10

Turbo trainer

Post by djbs10 »

Hi all I'm looking to buy a turbo trainer. I have never had one so I'm after advice on what to buy and where from.
Regards Dan

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-J320FN using hovercraft full of eels.
Norman H

Re: Turbo trainer

Post by Norman H »

A cheap second hand turbo makes sense to test the waters.There are lots of them for sale on the likes of Gumtree and eBay. Many of them are in “as new” condition. You need to ask yourself why this is so.

That said, I do have a turbo and I find it useful for maintaining a degree of fitness over the winter, even if it is mind numbingly boring. If possible get one that allows you to vary the resistance. More money brings more sophistication with the ability to connect to a computer and monitor heart rate, cadence etc. I have a basic Tacx Sirius but others will be along with different recommendations.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I bought an el-cheapo £65 on ebay, never had one before it works, I only use it in the bad weather to keep fit, but recently I had heart problems and had to stop doing any exercise, been sorted now, but the turbo came into play again as I could just do 15 to 20 minutes at a time and if I felt anything wrong I'm already at home and away from traffic, after a few weeks I'm up to an hour and ready for the road.
If I were you buy a cheap one first or better still try and borrow one, stick some good music on, I quite enjoy riding mine and I don't find it boring at all.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

All good advise so far, decide what you want to achieve, beg borrow or steal a basic one to try out.... Do you want to be able to vary the resistance, do you want to connect to the internet and connect with others during your ride, do you want a turbo that connects with a computer programme that does the 'thinking' and changing of the resistance to match a programme or a film of the 'ride'.

Things you may want to consider; FAN, towel(s),drip mat to protect bike, adequate drinks within reach, music or something to watch:- favourite film, some recording / video of a ride(s) that you can enjoy the scenery as you slog away.

I find having intervals does help with boredom, ie x mins easy, y mins hard, x mins easy etc... counting off the time and intervals is easier than just spinning over the pedals with no purpose in mind (but we are all different).

Another option is rollers, I also have some rollers made by sports crafters, available from planet x, they are portable, hold the front wheel, but allow you to keep a nice even pedalling action.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TRSPOMT/sp ... um-trainer
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Cycleops Fluid 2 + winter trainer kit currently £242.95 from Halfords. My wife ordered mine on click and collect. Since then CTC members can have 10% discount from Halfords. That's not for online purchases, but not sure about click and collect as payment is made in store. Bit of a grey area.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-t ... aining-kit

I haven't used it a great deal yet, but it gets good reviews and I'm happy with it so far. At some point I'll get a turbo specific tyre, but for now this tight old cycletourist has started on all those part worn tyres that are cluttering up the garage.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

You can always go there, and decide against collection...

They buy it in store, they'll price match and then you bring out the 10% discount and use a cash back card for a further 5% off...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

djbs10 wrote:Hi all I'm looking to buy a turbo trainer. I have never had one so I'm after advice on what to buy and where from.
Regards Dan

It's a composting toilet -> my SM-J320FN using hovercraft full of eels.

if you just want one to try i have a rather basic one i can do for £10 plus postage or it can be collected from nn8 postcode
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Bought 2 ... Sold 2 ..... at a loss both times

Boring, Boring, Boring, Boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring,boring. :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

landsurfer wrote:Bought 2 ... Sold 2 ..... at a loss both times

Boring, Boring, Boring, Boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring,boring. :lol:

very true
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I would rather be 20 miles from home ... In "The great storm" ...
With a 30 knot head wind, as the roads flood around me .....

Than spend 20 minutes more of my life on a turbo trainer .......
Been there .. Done that .....

Never again, as long as there is a hole in my bum !!!

There is no "Bad Weather" ...
Just 'Weather" ......

"Just Ride It" TM
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
djbs10

Post by djbs10 »

martin biggs wrote:
djbs10 wrote:Hi all I'm looking to buy a turbo trainer. I have never had one so I'm after advice on what to buy and where from.
Regards Dan

It's a composting toilet -> my SM-J320FN using hovercraft full of eels.

if you just want one to try i have a rather basic one i can do for £10 plus postage or it can be collected from nn8 postcode

Hi can you msg me your contact details? I will buy this

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-J320FN using hovercraft full of eels.