Eurostar: bikes: Brussels

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JJF

Eurostar: bikes: Brussels

Postby JJF » 15 May 2017, 4:50pm

I have booked my bike on Eurostar. They send maps of St Pancras and Brussels Midi. The St P map shows the bike handover location at the end of line of arrows marked Eurodespatch Centre.
The Brussels map has a line of arrows that seem to lead out of the station to the Coach set-down area. Elsewhere within the station is "SNCB luggage office". No mention of Eurodespatch.

Can someone please tell me where I should go to collect my bike?

chocjohn9

Re: Eurostar: bikes: Brussels

Postby chocjohn9 » 15 May 2017, 7:48pm

Once off the train and through the glass exit doors, there are some lifts infront of you and some stairs to the left. Both go down one level only. Straight infront of you is a small electronics shop, on a corner and at 11 oclock is the walk way into the national station. Enter the station. 20m walk. Now on the right is the building work for the eurostar (as of today) and there is a money exchange on the left. Next on the right is a walk way' may be 10 m wide and on the corner is the collection point. Its a glass fronted 1m x 1m booth with lockers the right. On the left there is a cafe with a life sized zebra sitting at one if the tables (I joke not).

In reality though, bikes go in the middle of the train and if you go there when you arrive and wave the papers at them, they have always given me my stuff there and then.

As a matter of interest, what are you doing when you get here?

JJF

Postby JJF » 15 May 2017, 9:58pm

Thanks for the reply.

"As a matter of interest, what are you doing when you get here?"

I'll continue by train to Bruges to visit friends. Then, as yet unspecified bike tour which will include Ghent.

chocjohn9

Postby chocjohn9 » 17 May 2017, 12:48pm

There are many waterways and canals around Brugge which all have lovely cyle paths next to them and no traffic :D
The area between Cadzand-Bad to Nummer Een, via Breskens is also great, with a track hugging the coast.
The downside of this region is that it's totally flat and a touch boring after a while....
If there's a cycle path, you must use it by law - cars will "let you know" if you are doing something incorrect, in their view.
Have a good trip and remember to speak English, don't try your French in these parts! :shock:

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 19 May 2017, 5:46am

Could one try learning Nederlands /Flemish, or maybe German?

I thought Belgium was a model for different cultures living together, has that changed? Surely many people are bilingual, and there is no violence
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

chocjohn9

Postby chocjohn9 » 19 May 2017, 10:08am

"a model for different cultures living together"

Sadly and a bit shockingly, I do not subscribe to this. I have umpteen examples but I can tell you that in the Flemish bit, if you speak French you will be ignored. During audax rides, the French ride together and sit at one end of the table, the Flems together and at the other end. One guy a few weeks ago said he had to do this 300kms ride although he didn't want to (to get his medal for doing a randonneur each month of the year) because there wasn't a 200kms ride this month. There was, but the starting point was in the French bit, so would not do it. Neither the French nor Flems spoke to me for three seasons when I started going along to audaxes..... until I bought and wore my "AudaxUK" top. My language skills were very poor when I arrived here so I stayed quiet - each thought I was from the other "side". Now, everyone speaks to me because I'm "neutral". I'm organising an audax in a few months and to get numbers, I've started in the Flemish territory but will do most of the ride in Wallonia.

If you live in the Flemish bit, the local commumé (council) will only write and speak to you in Flemish. The tax is very high because everything is done in triplicate (German too). The airport in Brussels doesn't have a good transport links to Brussels because Brussels is 80% French speaking but the airport is in the Flemish bit. There's a new tram way being built nearby but it's going to stop short of the airport because of the territory issues. The education system is different, they each have their own TV channels and food. Really, Belgium is three countries - Flanders, Wallonia and Brussels which is international. How the country functions I have no idea (my wife works for the government so this is more than a flippant comment) and it should break up really.... but they can not agree on how to do it.

I could go on and on and on.... I won't though because it's a constant consideration and a pain in the ....

So, they tolerate each other most of the time, that's about all you could say.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 19 May 2017, 3:29pm

chocjohn9 wrote:"a model for different cultures living together"

Sadly and a bit shockingly, I do not subscribe to this. I have umpteen examples but I can tell you that in the Flemish bit, if you speak French you will be ignored. During audax rides, the French ride together and sit at one end of the table, the Flems together and at the other end. One guy a few weeks ago said he had to do this 300kms ride although he didn't want to (to get his medal for doing a randonneur each month of the year) because there wasn't a 200kms ride this month. There was, but the starting point was in the French bit, so would not do it. Neither the French nor Flems spoke to me for three seasons when I started going along to audaxes..... until I bought and wore my "AudaxUK" top. My language skills were very poor when I arrived here so I stayed quiet - each thought I was from the other "side". Now, everyone speaks to me because I'm "neutral". I'm organising an audax in a few months and to get numbers, I've started in the Flemish territory but will do most of the ride in Wallonia.

If you live in the Flemish bit, the local commumé (council) will only write and speak to you in Flemish. The tax is very high because everything is done in triplicate (German too). The airport in Brussels doesn't have a good transport links to Brussels because Brussels is 80% French speaking but the airport is in the Flemish bit. There's a new tram way being built nearby but it's going to stop short of the airport because of the territory issues. The education system is different, they each have their own TV channels and food. Really, Belgium is three countries - Flanders, Wallonia and Brussels which is international. How the country functions I have no idea (my wife works for the government so this is more than a flippant comment) and it should break up really.... but they can not agree on how to do it.

I could go on and on and on.... I won't though because it's a constant consideration and a pain in the ....

So, they tolerate each other most of the time, that's about all you could say.

very funny, kept together due to lack of cooperation :lol: