Kids gloves that are thin and waterproof

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
latequartet

Post by latequartet »

We've scouted around to no avail, for summer-time waterproof (or neoprene???); we have a rainy tour planned in the summer; that's the top of the wish list for our 5 and 7 year olds. Any thoughts, please?
A towing-daily-road cyclist (without a car) with children and a wife. Cycling close to and on the NCN 6 in Sheffield.
eileithyia

Re: Kids gloves that are thin and waterproof

Post by eileithyia »

Sailing shop, we were impressed quite a few years ago, at a time when good quality kids out door kit / waterproofs were not so easy to come by, that a local marine supplies, had an excellent range of out door clothing and waterproofs.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Sealskinz do some horse riding gloves that might fit the bill. Two things about them, though:

They run small, so size up at least one, and maybe two sizes. When they get wet, they can be hard to remove (like the adult cyling ones), so parental help is likely to be needed sometimes.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

As Vorpal says^ My oldest daughter prefers to cycle in horse riding gloves. That said, I really don't get waterproof socks and gloves. None of them can process the exit of sweat and you get wet when it's dry AND wet when it's wet. Skin is waterproof.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Skin may be waterproof but wet hands can get freezing cold, even in summer. Coming down long descents in torrential rain is no joke if you have to keep braking with stiff, painful hands.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

LollyKat wrote:Skin may be waterproof but wet hands can get freezing cold, even in summer. Coming down long descents in torrential rain is no joke if you have to keep braking with stiff, painful hands.

Sure. I've had forearm cramp in the rain coming off Dundry. Scary. My gloves work like a wetsuit luckily and my hands warm up the wet material. I am also lucky that my hands 'run warm'. I worked (gardening) with a guy who used to get cold hands and it was debilitating for him. Seen a grown man cry?
latequartet

Post by latequartet »

Appreciate the feedback.

The memory of sodden freezing hands is seared in the memory of both children; we had two days on tour when respite from being really uncomfortable could have been helped by such gloves. It's top of both their wishlists; we will provide warnings that they are not perfect!!
A towing-daily-road cyclist (without a car) with children and a wife. Cycling close to and on the NCN 6 in Sheffield.