widest range of cycle clothing in greater manchester

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ChrisOntLancs

widest range of cycle clothing in greater manchester

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

i've never really been one for cycle specific stuff, opting for cycle-capable casual stuff, but on the longer rides i do these days i prefer the lightness. trouble is i'm not really clued up on my preferences yet so i like having a bit of a look. tried a couple of stores in town today and was pretty underwhelmed by the lack of choice so i was wondering if there was something a bit better within cycling distance.

i think i'll be riding in mostly MTB stuff, but i would like some stuff for the road bike too. ironically i'm less picky about road.
Postboxer

Re: widest range of cycle clothing in greater manchester

Post by Postboxer »

Where have you already been? Just the city centre? Evans cycles has stores at the National Cycling Centre - Manchester Velodrome, and at Chill Factore, near the Trafford Centre, not sure which is biggest though.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

thanks, yeah just the city centre, evans, cycle republic. i was planning on going to trafford in the morning but didn't know there was one at NCC (doesn't seem so far fetched though does it chris)
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

Cycle clothing ? You push your right trouser leg down in to the top of your sock. That's it; everything else is fashion.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

What about a weekend away to the Lakes, some really decent shops with good variety and you would get a selection of MTB stuff; Wheelbase at Staveley and there's another shop close by on the A591 at Ings with a reasonalbe selection.
There is also Buy a Bike at Charnock Richard on the A49... who have a decent selection of kit.
Leisure Lakes near Southport (but take care, I haven't but have heard of people being charged to go in because of the other facilities when all they want is to access the shop).

Sadly I think if you have been to one Evans you have probably seen their selection, they tend to sell only specific types of clothing.

Last time I was there, Hewitts in Leyland had a large selection of clothing.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Would have recommended edinburgh bike co-op but i understand they have closed that branch. Not sure why. An email to them asking went unanswered. So nearest would probably be leeds which maybe not that handy for you. Have never been to leeds branch. Aldi is doing cycling stuff this week.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:Would have recommended edinburgh bike co-op but i understand they have closed that branch. Not sure why. An email to them asking went unanswered.

I think I heard that the lease ended and negotiations of a new one failed, but I don't remember who told me so it might be guff.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Tinns, hello,

Advice please for when wearing shorts.

regards,

Fashion is what other people wear
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've not been there personally but Leisure Lakes have a fairly large store in Bury. The inside of the store has been Streetviewed so you can have a virtual browse around, although the stock you can see is somewhat out of date now. Their website will give you an idea if there is anything that might be of interest that you've not seen elsewhere.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Littgull

Post by Littgull »

I agree with RickH, Leisure lakes store in Bury has a very wide and comprehensive range of clothing. The down side is that their customer service is absolutely woeful. Not all of the staff (some are excellent) but a significant number are 'off the scale' bad!
RickH

Post by RickH »

Another couple of other suggestions I've thought of since posting are Decathlon - with stores in Bolton, Stockport & Eastlands - & Go Outdoors - stores in Wigan, Stockport & City Centre (& both in Warrington although that is a bit outside the Manchester area).

They both also do clothing for other activities - hiking, running, climbing - that could work for cycling while looking less wannabee racer.

I was in the Manchester Go Outdoors the other day (mainly just for a browse while waiting to meet someone off a train). Most of the store is upstairs but the bit downstairs is all cycling stuff & is probably bigger than most LBSs.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I'd go for Decathlon, good kit at sensible prices and you can try before you buy .... on line Tenn Jerseys via EBAY and Planet X Clubman's bib shorts are top kit
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Decathlon has a shop in Manchester - not in the city centre but one of the suburbs. Was on a course up there a few years ago and drove past it quite often. They have a good range of all sorts of stuff if the one at Eastwood is anything to go by.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

sorry my attention was stolen by another manchester specific thread :/

and since the thread has been filled with more great shouts. i haven't spent a lot of time in bury but leasure lakes looks very promising, with decathalon in bolton this is starting to look like a nice day on the bike.

i think i had the wrong expectations about city centre stores, that have to fit a bit of everything in a tiny space. i was pleasantly surprised by the leigh branch of halfords the other day actually. so these branches in satellite towns are exactly what i'm looking for thanks guys!

with the suggestions of cycling cathedrals a little out of my range, definitely ones to check out in the future. so far the most i've done in a day is 40 miles so i've got a bit of work to do. i am planning a several days trip but sadly it's heading south :/

also i didn't know you could look inside certain shops on street view. that's going to make my life a lot easier, to the point where i might actually finish my degree and maybe even start a family :lol:
shadwellrhino

Post by shadwellrhino »

I cycled past a huge Evans store in Preston yesterday but didn't go in cos it was closed. Their online range is vast compared to stores in Leeds and Manchester so this one might have a good clothing range.