cycling the Zuiderzee

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
holidaycyclist

cycling the Zuiderzee

Post by holidaycyclist »

My wife and I are cycling in Holland in July 2017.We do not speak Dutch and the Fietsesbond routeplanner does not seem to tell us the frequency of the"footferry" to Texel,Does anyone have any suggestions?We would be eternally grateful.
Toffee

Re: cycling the Zuiderzee

Post by Toffee »

We went across last year to texel on our bike

Have a look at their website

https://www.texel.net

It's has all the info
mr_mark_sid

Post by mr_mark_sid »

Don't get caught out like we did. It is not possible to join the chain of islands by moving from Texel to the north. There is only one effective way to get to Texel and that is Den Helder. We had hoped to island hop our way north but the connections are sporadic and not really feasible.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mr_mark_sid wrote:Don't get caught out like we did. It is not possible to join the chain of islands by moving from Texel to the north. There is only one effective way to get to Texel and that is Den Helder. We had hoped to island hop our way north but the connections are sporadic and not really feasible.

Yes, you should smell a rat whenever you see the EuroVelo 12 (North Sea Coast Route) go inland like it does there...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

It is possible with some planning to get from Texel to Vlieland and then on to Terschelling, you then return to the mainland at Harlingen. One issue on doing this is the actual cost of the bikes on the ferry. It was cheaper when I went to Terscheling to go on foot and hire a bike on the island than to take my bike over.

There are no connecting services further up the string until you get to the Wadden Sea off the Schleswig coast in Germany.

Don't worry about the language - they all watch East Enders and you will get by just fine. Be warned though, in Friesland you will be hard pushed to find anything other than Herring to eat in restaurants and cafés!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

Can you actually cycle the Zuiderzee - when I was a kid we often went there camping and picnics - my first outing as an adult going that way I was nonplussed that I couldnt find it on the map :D
bromptonrail

Post by bromptonrail »

Hasn't it been known as Ijselmeer since it was enclosed and separated from the North Sea?
No advertising please.
Ron

Post by Ron »

bromptonrail wrote:Hasn't it been known as Ijselmeer since it was enclosed and separated from the North Sea?

Well yes, but that was only 85 years ago :D .

Quote from Rough Guides
Work began on this dyke, the Afsluitdijk, in 1920 and, on May 28, 1932, the last gap in it was closed and the Zuider Zee simply ceased to exist, replaced by the freshwater IJsselmeer.
wallyone

Post by wallyone »

Can you actually cycle the Zuiderzee
There is a Zuiderzeeroute which is a signed route around the Ijsselmeer and is compose of 3 LF routes. I'm not sure if the original post is referring to this route but you can make the detour to the islands. I did this route some years ago in the summer and it was one of the wettest and windiest tours I've ever done, I loved it. Luckily along the Afsluitdijk I had a tail wind.
http://www.hollandcyclingroutes.com/long-distance-cycle-routes/zuiderzeeroute
holidaycyclist

Post by holidaycyclist »

TOFFEE,the Texel website was brill.Thanks for everyones help and advice.We are also in Sheffield.