Airnimal Chameleon - how to identify large vs small frame?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
soton

Airnimal Chameleon - how to identify large vs small frame?

Post by soton »

I understand the Chameleon comes in two frame sizes: nominally the top bar measurement.
How can I tell whether a frame is the large or small?
I read that the main spa length differs.
Without two frames to compare, how does one tell?
colin54

Re: Airnimal Chameleon - how to identify large vs small frame?

Post by colin54 »

According to this article the two sizes 52cm and 56cm are effective top tube lengths ( however that is measured ).

In the same article it gives differences in wheelbases to tell the two apart ,96.5cm & 99.5cm respectively.

There are two of the smaller size for sale on this forum at the moment ( hence your question )?

http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/airnimalrt.html
Nu-Fogey
soton

Post by soton »

Thanks for the link. I didn't find that on my search, although it's familiar from reading some years ago.
Someone has suggested that the length of the frame's head tube (excluding the head set fittings) is easy to measure and sufficiently different to differentiate. Anyone have a frame known to be large/small who could give me a measurement?
I'm not seeking those for sale on the forum now, as they're small frames.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

My Chameleon, as far as i'm aware is the larger size. The BB to seat clamp measurement is 41cm and effective top tube (ie c2c horizontal) is 53.5cm. These are actual frame dimensions, I have a lot of seatpost and steerer above the frame.
Last edited by foxyrider on 26 May 2017, 5:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
soton

Post by soton »

Thank you. The plot thickens.
Firstly, I should be clear that I'm interested in the Chameleon model with the fold-forward seat post holder; not sure if there are other Chameleons with different frame types.
The Chameleon effective top tube lengths are said to be 52cm and 56cm for the small and large frames. Not sure where that's measured; some folk say it should be centre to centre, others from where the top tube would meet the other tubes.
Si

Post by Si »

The guy that runs Airnimal is a really nice bloke who couldnt help me enough when I was looking to buy one - maybe give them an email and see if they can tell you if you've not done so already?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

soton wrote:Thank you. The plot thickens.
Firstly, I should be clear that I'm interested in the Chameleon model with the fold-forward seat post holder; not sure if there are other Chameleons with different frame types.
The Chameleon effective top tube lengths are said to be 52cm and 56cm for the small and large frames. Not sure where that's measured; some folk say it should be centre to centre, others from where the top tube would meet the other tubes.

Rest assured I have a Chameleon - in fact it's the second one i've owned after a frame failure on the original. The numbers i've given are straight from my actual bike.
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
soton

Post by soton »

My confusion led to a thickening plot; I saw a Joey photo and thought it was an old version Chameleon.
However, helpful replies have assured me that the Chameleon head tube lengths (not including head set fittings) are a clue:
Small frame: 11 cm
Large frame: 13 cm
Grateful for all help.
soton

Post by soton »

I’m revisiting the thickened plot.
I wrote to the Airnimal website, and was indulged with several responses, one of which noted that older large frames had an 11 cm long head tube.
I was also told that folding forward the seat tube would have it hit the head tube on a small frame.
I have photos of two bikes with folded seat tubes, clearly different size frames but the seat tube doesn’t reach on either (admittedly, one has the seat clamp removed – and might hit otherwise).
One reaches to within 2 mm of the head tube, on the other bike it’s 35 mm from the head tube.
Gallacher_1

Post by Gallacher_1 »

foxyrider wrote:My Chameleon, as far as i'm aware is the larger size. The BB to seat clamp measurement is 41cm and effective top tube (ie c2c horizontal) is 53.5cm. These are actual frame dimensions, I have a lot of seatpost and steerer above the frame.

Hi, do you mean 51 from BB to seatpost clamp rather than 41?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Gallacher_1 wrote:
foxyrider wrote:My Chameleon, as far as i'm aware is the larger size. The BB to seat clamp measurement is 41cm and effective top tube (ie c2c horizontal) is 53.5cm. These are actual frame dimensions, I have a lot of seatpost and steerer above the frame.

Hi, do you mean 51 from BB to seatpost clamp rather than 41?

nope - 41 it is! :D