Book recommendations and why?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mnichols

Re: Book recommendations and why?

Post by mnichols »

I'm enjoying reading your suggestions. Please keep them coming
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Ive just started reading Africa Solo by Mark Beaumont. I've not really got into it yet, but I've enjoyed his other books. I'd also recommend Alastair Humphreys books - Moods of Future Joys and Thunder and Sunshine.

These are all books about long distance touring - trans-continental or around the world. Beaumont is usually trying to beat some sort of record but Humphrieys likes to take his time.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Niel Gaiman ..... just about anything really ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

mnichols wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Perhaps you could narrow your preferences down somewhat, OP?

I read a couple of books a month and have got in the habit of reading the same sorts of books so I left it deliberately open to see what other people enjoy

If I stated my preferences then the chances are that I would have read it, but on the other hand someone might come up with a new gem

Am also a fairly prolific reader but can find myself reading similar types of books or same authors, using book exchanges, drop offs at accommodation etc., means it often , makes me look at the books that are available rather than just look for genres I like..... often finding new authors and unusual books that way..
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

This bloke puts all other African cyclists in the shade. " Around Africa on my Bicycle" Bit of an idiot - gets panniers the day before he leaves, can't rebuild a wheel etc. But... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riaan_Manser

Personally don't usually read cycling books.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

landsurfer wrote:Niel Gaiman ..... just about anything really ....

You're not getting off that lightly. I'm a fan. Any recommendations?

Even the kids read his stuff. Crazy Hair, Wolves in the Walls and I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish are 3 VERY good illustrated books for your g kids.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

American Gods is my favourite ... (i've not seen any of the Starz production ) .. all the family has read and loved "Good Omens" .... "Neverwhere" is stunning although when reading it i keep thinking of "Flushed Away " :lol: .... 'Stardust" (with the cross dressing Robert De Niro as the pirate captain in the movie) ... a superb read ..."Anansi Boys" is a staple .....

Good omens .... all cd's left in his car become Queen music .... the ducks that eat the bread ...sink ..... Agnes Nutter ..... :D
"The Ocean at the End of the Lane" .... strange but gently weird.
Be more Mike.
Geoffroid

Post by Geoffroid »

Mothering Sunday - Graham Swift. Because it is a masterpiece and now out in paperback.

Canada - Richard Ford. Great writing and great story.

Coming Up For Air - George Orwell.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

"City" ... Clifford D Simak ......
The Dogs, The Robots, The Cobblies, ...... The Ants ... a world view that is so readable .........

We have bonfires in the garden where I and my Grandson make up "Cobbly" stories to frighten the girls of all ages .... :) our "in house" ghost stories ..
Be more Mike.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

W G Sebald: The Rings of Saturn, Austerlitz. Have read them in German and in English ++
He writes long sentences (one lasts several pages) and mixes fact and fiction. I assert that his books are not difficult to read

Austerlitz is partly set near Bala, Wales
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Spoken Here by Mark Abley
About threatened languages and why they are important, includes a chapter on Welsh and plenty of optimism
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Unless total immersion is your thing, your book does not have to be related to cycling and travel. For me, if I am camping, I want an easy read that has a story that makes you want to know what happens next. A traditional whodunnit hits the spot for me. If you have not yet read them, the detective stories of PD James are very well written novels that draw you in and provide well developed characters within an interesting puzzle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Stieg Larsson's millennium trilogy
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Personally a trip without my kindle would not be half as much fun, to the extent that on my recent trip to the Small isles when I discovered I'd managed to leave home without it, I bought another (from Argos in Fort William!). Anyway part of the enjoyment of a trip for me is reading, I tend to read when I stop off for a brew and always in the tent in the evening. Having a kindle makes it easy to carry multiple books and I take full advantage of that. I often select fiction that is based in the area I will be travelling through. As this is usually the Scottish Islands this often means books by non mainstream authors (often self published), some of these are not always great, but there are some real gems and I can take a selection and if I don't like one move on to the next! The kindle also lets me take along a non fiction books, guide books and even scientific papers (which I enjoy getting into with no distractions around!). I can also carry high res maps which can be fun when exploring. I easily get two or three weeks reading out of a single charge so no issues with batteries etc. I find the kindle display easy on the eyes and it works fine in bright sunshine (which I got a lot of this year!). My new kindle even lets me read in the dark!

So my recommendation would be for a reading system rather than a particular book!
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

If you're interested in non-fiction I'd recommend Savage Continent: Europe in the Aftermath of World War II by Keith Lowe. A time of chaos even after chaos was supposedly over - and if you are touring abroad chances are you'll read some thought-provoking questions about the countries you are enjoying...