Clifton Cycles of Birkenhead. Information request.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
billco

Clifton Cycles of Birkenhead. Information request.

Postby billco » 1 Jun 2017, 5:25pm

I am trying to collect any information about Clifton cycle frames. I would be interested to hear about any Clifton frame, if possible with build year, frame number and head badge address. They were a quality frame built by Clifton Cycles of Birkenhead. The business was run by brothers Bill and George Hewitt from the mid 1940’s up to around 1982 (no known connection with Hewitt Cycles of Leyland). In the 1960’s, as a result of work on the Mersey Tunnel approach roads, the shop/workshop was relocated from the Birkenhead Haymarket to 18 Grange Mount Birkenhead. Before the Hewitt brothers took over, Clifton Cycles (in earlier days known as Boro Cycles) had been building Clifton frames in Birkenhead possibly as far back as 1898. However, the earliest Clifton cycle frame I know of is one built by Hewitt brothers around 1948 (it’s in my garage). This was previously used to great success in time trials by the late John Futter of the Anfield Bicycle Club in the 1950’s. Many local racing men used Cliftons at that time. Now, even locally, the Clifton cycle frame seems to have almost disappeared into obscurity. The extensive on-line library of the Veteran-Cycle Club contains no reference to Clifton Cycles, Boro Cycles or Hewitt Brothers, although there is some information on the Merseyside Bicycles web site.
I would be interested in any information to add to the above, or any Clifton related anecdotes. Do you have a Clifton rust-bucket in the shed you are about to take to the tip? Any information would be most welcome.

velomanmike

Re: Clifton Cycles of Birkenhead. Information request.

Postby velomanmike » 14 Oct 2018, 8:13pm

IO have recently acquired a Clifton Bike off an estate.
The bike was previously owned by Alan Bibby who's name is engraved on the stem.
I'm also seeking info to date the bike.
I still work at Marriott Motorcycles around the corner from the frame builders address
Please see the images below.
Image Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_1710.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1638.jpg

billco

Re: Clifton Cycles of Birkenhead. Information request.

Postby billco » 15 Oct 2018, 1:13pm

Thanks for the reply. As your frame has the '18 Grange Mount' address on the head badge it will most likely be from the 1960's / 70's, possibly as late as 1982. However, your frame appears to have Campag 'Long ends', so without other close pics I would guess the date to be no later than about 1975. Note that Hewitt Bros. did do resprays of earlier frames which will originally have had the 'Haymarket' address on the badge, and will then have '18 Grange Mount' on the badge. If you have the frame number(s) I may be able to narrow the date down a bit. Numbers appear either on the rear frame end or under the bottom bracket, or both. Also a pic of the bottom bracket and the head tube lugs would help. Regards.