£20 Halfords Voucher

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
colin54

Re: £20 Halfords Voucher

Post by colin54 »

Maybe they'll give you another voucher Mick, more decisions !

I was looking at one of these grease guns the other day in my local branch, I was quite tempted, until I realised they didn't stock

the tubes of grease to go with them.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-ma ... grease-gun

I mentioned it in passing to one of the staff, he couldn't have been less interested.

...... No Sale .....
Nu-Fogey
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

colin54 wrote:Maybe they'll give you another voucher Mick, more decisions !

I was looking at one of these grease guns the other day in my local branch, I was quite tempted, until I realised they didn't stock

the tubes of grease to go with them.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-ma ... grease-gun

I mentioned it in passing to one of the staff, he couldn't have been less interested.

...... No Sale .....

Reminds me of the time a few years ago I bought some fiberglass resin, the hardener was extra. How come? ans because it is, I said you wouldn't buy paint without the colour in it would you.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

colin54 wrote:Maybe they'll give you another voucher Mick, more decisions !
Well, guess what?
As we entered the store, the alarm went off due to the security tag .............. but no-one batted an eyelid. :lol:
(There were no alarms when we left the Bridgwater store BTW)

We drove down to Marshmills Retail Park (near Plymouth) via Tavistock, and parked up in the huge carpark and right in front of Halfords.
We both got out, and Mrs Mick F went up to the desk and asked to speak to the manager ..................... I slunk away looking at this and that, and trying to look nonchalant.

Later, when we met up again, Mrs Mick F had a sort of grin on her countenance, and we walked over to the car in silence. It was only when we shut the doors, she told me what had happened in there.

The manageress was horrified and was aware that the Bridgwater store was a bit lax on security and things. Mrs Mick F laid it on with a trowel about the present of the voucher and how we'd had to drive 20miles to the store, and then we'd 20miles back again to sort all this out.

As a sweetener, she was given a £10 voucher. :D

In truth, we used the journey for a spot of shopping enroute, coming back over into Cornwall via Saltash, so the whole trip was actually useful, but had we not had to go out, we would've managed and not needed to have gone out until the weekend. Any road up, it was a result for us and Halfords have egg on their faces ............... that I'm sure they'll absorb.

colin54 wrote:I was looking at one of these grease guns the other day in my local branch, I was quite tempted, until I realised they didn't stock the tubes of grease to go with them.
I spotted that, and would have been tempted had they had the correct grease tube fitting. The puncture outfit, was a copout really because I couldn't think of what else to buy.

Yes, more decisions now. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

When out on a ride earlier in the week, I called in at Halfords down at Marsh Mills near Plymouth.

I spent a few minutes looking, and picked up a Topeak Mini 9 multitool for £15 ......... that's the £10 voucher plus a fiver.
product-tools-mini-tools-mini-9-mini-9-3f3d653518cea0195f32d2fdf342cfdd.jpg

Yes, I know Chain Reaction do them cheaper, but I had the voucher and it was burning a hole in my pocket.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tope ... p-prod7340

It has all the bits I want and is small, tidy, and easy to use.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

My daughter was looking at a new Boardman bike. Arranged a test ride at halfords. Turned up at the arranged time, the bike was ready but no one could find the keys to unlock it :shock:
The manager gave her a £100 discount voucher against a new bike in recompense. She used it in part payment to buy the same bike from halfords via the Internet where the web prices were £100 less than the in store prices. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I went to our local Halfords to buy a Hollowtech BB cup remover. I'd previously bought one from Halfords in Derby, so I knew that they sold them, but my son has stolen the one I bought previously! Anyway, the lad in the Bikehut store had no clue about Hollowtech, it was like I was speaking a foreign language. I had to show him one on a bike and he said they didn't sell them, even though they sell bikes with that sort of BB, so I gave up. Managed to get one from Evans.

I've also won a £100 Halfords voucher, for riding the most miles in a commuter challenge at work. Went in there and there was absolutely nothing I could find to spend it on. I ended up putting it towards a new Garmin.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

TrevA wrote:I've also won a £100 Halfords voucher, for riding the most miles in a commuter challenge at work. Went in there and there was absolutely nothing I could find to spend it on. I ended up putting it towards a new Garmin.
Good post. :lol:

I know exactly what you mean.
Halfords have loads of stuff, but very little that you want.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
TrevA wrote:I went to our local Halfords to buy a Hollowtech BB cup remover. I'd previously bought one from Halfords in Derby, so I knew that they sold them, but my son has stolen the one I bought previously! Anyway, the lad in the Bikehut store had no clue about Hollowtech, it was like I was speaking a foreign language. I had to show him one on a bike and he said they didn't sell them, even though they sell bikes with that sort of BB, so I gave up. Managed to get one from Evans.

I've also won a £100 Halfords voucher, for riding the most miles in a commuter challenge at work. Went in there and there was absolutely nothing I could find to spend it on. I ended up putting it towards a new Garmin.

You could go to Halfords online and click and collect :?:
I wouyld think even if the local shop did not stock it would be sent to arrive?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Mick F wrote:
TrevA wrote:I've also won a £100 Halfords voucher, for riding the most miles in a commuter challenge at work. Went in there and there was absolutely nothing I could find to spend it on. I ended up putting it towards a new Garmin.
Good post. :lol:

I know exactly what you mean.
Halfords have loads of stuff, but very little that you want.

Tis true tis true for sure.
I used to after buying a bike a good deal too in 93, buy some of their reduced stuff (the bike computers 20 years old, mtb pump water bottles and racks I still use today :) but today its all seems expensive, I would not mind if I could find the stuff I want, they need to smarten up the stuff they stock, get better well tuned in staff maybe, I get the sense that the staff that deal with cycles are not all there in the bike world.
Perhaps ask bodies leaving the shop what they could not find and give them a £5 voucher if they could not find the item they want :?:

I applied for several jobs at Halfords, you think I would be more than qualified :? but no they want some other skill I don't recognise............. :(
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

My son applied for a job at Halfords when he was 16. By that time he had been riding bikes for 10 years and I'd taught him all I know about building, maintaining and riding bikes, but they didn't want to know. I think the manager thought he was a bit of a know-all, but that's far better than the know-nowt staff that they seem to employ.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

Did you get your 10% CUK discount?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I never asked! :shock:
Goodness knows why I forgot about that.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F wrote:I never asked! :shock:
Goodness knows why I forgot about that.

Must be the heat!!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
TrevA wrote:My son applied for a job at Halfords when he was 16. By that time he had been riding bikes for 10 years and I'd taught him all I know about building, maintaining and riding bikes, but they didn't want to know. I think the manager thought he was a bit of a know-all, but that's far better than the know-nowt staff that they seem to employ.

The year I left school local engineering was in a crisis, the firm I wanted to get in employed over 2000 people locally but did not take on a single trainee.
I applied for a mechanics job, but was turned down, citing that I would be too unreliable to cycle the seven miles to work................
Managed to get on a course at local tech college but was told that I was probably over qualified for the course, I was simply sick of book work and needed to do something with my hands, not sure whether I could manage anymore classroom learning, later in life I found that those with better qualifications (degrees) had trouble joining up the dots, not all of course, exams got them the job and pay then they got me to do the donkey work................there's much corruption in jobs and the way you get one, all the hype about CV's and interviews is just going through the motions, the job has already been given long before you see the advertisement.

Some will nurture, some are afraid that you will make them look stupid, I have come to the conclusion that many are insecure in their jobs, a test through ability would be a far more accurate way of candidate selection.

On job interviews, what exam / qualification must you hold to sit in and interview candidates?
It does seem they are not always fit or honest, which means that the firm will suffer down the line with the wrong people in the wrong jobs.

My partners firm is closely following the trend her last firm did just before they went bust, constant shuffling of job titles and job swapping................maybe that is the sign of a meltdown.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Paulatic wrote:Don't buy the Bikehut 9-10 Speed Sprocket Remover.
Someone bought one and lost it on Beattock Summit. I found it and 17 mls later, at home, I'd lost it too. :lol:

Lol Lol ..... Hearty morning laugh for Jules and i ... thank you :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.