Is "cycle.travel" broken?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
531colin

Is "cycle.travel" broken?

Post by 531colin »

As title....is the route-mapping website "cycle.travel" broken?
I'm not very good, but I can't just "drop a pin" like I normally can, both last night and now.
......help!
Paulatic

Re: Is "cycle.travel" broken?

Post by Paulatic »

Just tried it and it worked perfectly for me.
Using Safari on an IPad
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Have you a route already shown? Try clicking the close route box x, under the + and - boxes.
Maybe restart your computer? Not sure what else to suggest.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Drop a PM to Richard Fairhurst, it's his site.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

It's not broken, but I made a little change last night. You'll see that once you've started a route, under the "From" and "To" boxes, there's a new box marked "Click map to add more points". Tick that and it'll work as you expect.

Basically I've noticed that, whenever I watch someone using the site for the first time, they end up putting extra points without meaning to. It's especially the case on mobile, where it's very easy to just tap the screen by accident. Hence this new tickbox!

(If you always want to keep that setting, without having to turn it on each time, you can do that from your user profile page.)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

This is an incredible resource. I really like the facility where you choose a circular ride length from your front door and it gives you 3 options to go off on.

With a tweak or two, Cycle.travel planned a four day route from my front door, along the NCN24, through the Two Tunnels(Bath), along the K&A canal, up and over the Ridgeway and back....All in less than 10 minutes. It is beyond excellent.
squeaker

Re: Is

Post by squeaker »

Heltor Chasca wrote:It is beyond excellent.
+1 :D
"42"
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Cheers, Richard, I'll have a proper look after my ride to-day.
I suppose we all think that "everybody" does something the way we do it. I only ever look at the "map" bit of the screen until I have finished the route, then i look at the distance and total climbing (maybe because I'm a "late adopter" of computers, after a lifetime of paper maps?) And i always "begin at the beginning" as i believe the Red King said in Alice, and go on until i come to the end....it had simply never occurred to me to flag the beginning and the end first, then fill in the middle bit.....most of the time I'm plotting a circuit, and i don't know where i'll end up "going", because the joy is in the journey, rather than the "destination", which is likely to be back where we started.

I'm having a terrible time with "technology" at present. My printer broke, and the new one is leading me a merry dance up all sorts of blind alleys, i get all sorts of messages where i understand some of the words, but never in the sequence shown.....then my "brick phone" broke, so i suppose I will have to have something new.....when I couldn't work cycle.travel it was the last straw, i'm afraid things were thrown around. :oops:

I must thank you for a wonderful facility. It allows me to plot routes which I can then share with all the younger, technology-savvy people i ride with, so that they can know the distance and climbing involved, and not be frightened to ride out with this old man.....I have a completely-undeserved reputation for seeking out big hills!

If anybody is interested, I have an embarrassing number of routes here http://cycle.travel/by/531colin/journeys
I almost don't like to ask about any way of (for example) grouping together routes in the same geographical area, or some other form of indexing or sorting other than the current chronological order? (Its probably there and I haven't found it!)

Edit....FLICKR lets me put my photos into "albums" and my "albums" into "collections"....something like that would suit most folk?
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

squeaker wrote:

+ another 1 :D
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

squeaker wrote:

+1

I do find that i have to do some finessing of the placement of the turn points using gpsies, but essentially it is wonderful. Recently did a two day ride from birmingham to london which it plotted. Remarkable how with this prog you can ride through so much quiet countryside in what appears to be such a crowded little island.

Thanks Richard.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

531colin wrote:
If anybody is interested, I have an embarrassing number of routes here http://cycle.travel/by/531colin/journeys
?

Yes, I'm interested Colin. Will look through them. Quick question. Have they all been ridden?, ie, do they all work beyond the computer screen?
Sweep
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Sweep wrote:
531colin wrote:
?

Yes, I'm interested Colin. Will look through them. Quick question. Have they all been ridden?, ie, do they all work beyond the computer screen?

I'm interested to know if Penrith to Pooley bridge now works. Brougham bridge still closed on my last visit and I ended up on A66. Viewing it from a car on the A66 a few weeks ago there still looked to be work happening there.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Sweep wrote:
531colin wrote:
?

Not a one-word answer, i'm afraid.
I don't own a Garmin; however, people i ride with do, and they can upload(?) routes and they know which way to turn before I can get my map out. But I get confused re-tracing (to the car park) so many routes stop short of that.
Some local (Harrogate) routes are as familiar as anything to me, they are only on there so they can go on the club website (Wheel Easy Harrogate).
Some rides we have done as "drive out and park awaydays" but others like Paulatic's Pooley bridge route are only there because we wanted to see how far/how much climbing it was.
I am tasked with pulling out all the awayday routes so they can go on the club website, and I will tidy them up as best I can as I do that.
If theres a particular route you are interested in, you can always message me or reply to this thread, and I'll help if I can.
Its wonderful countryside I live in/near, and there are some great rides to be done. We did this one the year before last, http://cycle.travel/map/journey/10682 (albeit clockwise) and we are doing it again this year; we resisted requests to repeat it last year! I included a bit of the Old Corpse Road in Swaledale, gentle, scenic off-road cycling.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:It's not broken, but I made a little change last night. You'll see that once you've started a route, under the "From" and "To" boxes, there's a new box marked "Click map to add more points". ....

Could I suggest that meaning of the label for that box might be clearer as something like
'Allow more points to be added '?

NB Thanks for implementing my readonly idea :D
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

On the subject of suggestions, is there an update/change history page anywhere, or if not could one be added somewhere like the footer section on the main page?

(I only just spotted the Streetview option)