Hot foot

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NUKe

Hot foot

Postby NUKe » 13 Jun 2017, 7:47am

Searched the forum and no mention,so I thought a new thread would be useful,

In Summer I can get hot foot on long rides. This is painful, I can usually get some relief by pouring water into my shoe cool the foot. I tend not to get this in winter but in Summer as on 300 k Audax, this weekend, I ended up taking pain killers it can be very painful. I have tried different shoes.still had the problem with all of them ,with the exception of my winter boots. Which I can't ride in Summer. Possible choice is sandals.
Anyone got any tips on the matter , any possible solutions.
NUKe

mnichols

Re: Hot foot

Postby mnichols » 13 Jun 2017, 8:13am

I've never had this before but got it for the first time this year on a recent tour. On this tour I was averaging about 85 miles per day, but have been fine on previous tours of 100 and even 200 per day

I think the difference is stiffer/carbon soles. I'll be going back to a nylon sole with a bit of flex and a better insole

I also find two thin cheap socks are better than one thicker more expensive ones for avoiding blisters or other foot problems

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 13 Jun 2017, 9:19am

Hi,
I am allergic to some synthetic socks, though they just make my feet warmer.
Too stiff a sole will only be a problem if the insole is poor?
Of course if it only comes on after long distance then it will take a while to sort.
Tight shoes / little wriggle room, I am careful not to have my shoes too tight, also clippless pedals, one reason I never used them - small contact patch with pedal, any other medical condition.
In 300K I would also of changed my socks.
Have you ever suffered from athletes foot?

Is this hot feet or "Hot Foot" ?

http://www.active.com/cycling/articles/ ... n-cyclists

http://www.podantics.com.au/hot-feet.html

https://www.verywell.com/burning-feet-a ... lp-3432686
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

pwa

Postby pwa » 13 Jun 2017, 10:04am

By Hot Foot I assume we are talking about a burning sensation in the ball of the foot, exactly where we press on the pedals. It is not caused by heat, but by pressure.

I'm not sure how to stop it happening. I did think it was due to clipless (i.e. cleated) pedals having a small suface area, but the more I think about that the less sense it makes. I have a pair of carbon soled shoes (Specialized) that do not flex much in that area and though which I certainly cannot feel the pedal. But I still get Hot Foot with those shoes. And I get it with non-carbon shoes. I suspect having the shoes done up too tight brings it on faster. And I think on a long day in the saddle it is a good idea to take the shoes off a few times and wiggle the toes.

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 13 Jun 2017, 10:11am

I've suffered from this extremely badly on occasion. Once it starts it seems impossible to get rid of. It seems unrelated to the type of shoe worn - the worst episode I had was in trainers, but equally I get it in very stiff road shoes. How tight the shoes are seems to be the most important thing.

Two things I'd recommend:
1. Do your shoes up very loosely. For me, that normally solves the issue.
2. Take your shoes off every time you stop.

If I remember these, I no longer have an issue.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 13 Jun 2017, 11:00am

Hi,
I remember over 40 years ago, if you were going fast / your mate looked liked he was going to speed up, you would do up your pedal clip strap's, we all did it :?

Never today.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

MikeDee

Postby MikeDee » 13 Jun 2017, 4:18pm

Shoes with a wider toebox help.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my stupid phone. Pro

freeflow

Postby freeflow » 13 Jun 2017, 5:03pm

And checking your position on the bike.

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 13 Jun 2017, 5:11pm

Some of the ointments they sell for hikers might work - I used to use Alkileine when I did a lot of hill-walking. Other than that, I've heard that tight shoes cause it. Never had it myself, though.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 13 Jun 2017, 9:22pm

pwa wrote:By Hot Foot I assume we are talking about a burning sensation in the ball of the foot, exactly where we press on the pedals. It is not caused by heat, but by pressure.

Yep that's it.
I had seen the active.com link its very good.
To add more to my original post. I have had different shoes over the years, and the problem spans different bikes and several sets of shoes.
I had thought the recumbent had resolved it but it was back with avengence on Saturday. AIt started around the 50 k Mark.peaked around 80. And then started to subside and was just a dull pain until the end.water in the shoes helped.
NUKe

trilathon

Postby trilathon » 14 Jun 2017, 2:14am

I've had this 2 or 3 times, twice during during Ironman races in arid climates and once on an unseasonably hot hilly audax ( after a bit of a lay off from cycling) , so I deduced it's the result of not being fully acclimitised to the specific prevailing conditions and the duration of the effort in that particular context...more adaptation or fitness required to atune the body fully.
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.

mjr

Postby mjr » 14 Jun 2017, 12:47pm

pwa wrote:BI'm not sure how to stop it happening. I did think it was due to clipless (i.e. cleated) pedals having a small suface area, but the more I think about that the less sense it makes.

Why? Just because you can't feel the pedal doesn't mean that the force is being spread enough by rigid soles. I haven't suffered this since switching to pedals with fairly large surface areas years ago (only Wellgo LU808s or C157s - I've not yet gone as far as MKS Lambdas!).

I tested whether larger pedals would cure it by gaffer-taping squares of plastic or plywood or something around the pedal, making a sort of pedal sandwich. It cured the hot foot, although the gaffer tape soon wore out because it was the only thing really giving much grip.

By the way, if you want a really strange feeling, try cycling with one large pedal and one smaller. It felt to me like the cranks weren't opposite!

My feet do still feel odd if shoes are done up too tight but that feels different.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

pwa

Postby pwa » 14 Jun 2017, 1:35pm

mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:BI'm not sure how to stop it happening. I did think it was due to clipless (i.e. cleated) pedals having a small suface area, but the more I think about that the less sense it makes.

Why? Just because you can't feel the pedal doesn't mean that the force is being spread enough by rigid soles. I haven't suffered this since switching to pedals with fairly large surface areas years ago (only Wellgo LU808s or C157s - I've not yet gone as far as MKS Lambdas!).

I tested whether larger pedals would cure it by gaffer-taping squares of plastic or plywood or something around the pedal, making a sort of pedal sandwich. It cured the hot foot, although the gaffer tape soon wore out because it was the only thing really giving much grip.

By the way, if you want a really strange feeling, try cycling with one large pedal and one smaller. It felt to me like the cranks weren't opposite!

My feet do still feel odd if shoes are done up too tight but that feels different.

We are all guessing based on our personal experiences. My carbon soled shoes (I have others) are so stiff in the pedal contact area that effectively the sole acts like a wide pedal. My feet are pressing down on a wide surface with no pressure point at the cleat. It's a bit like having clogs on. Like others, I only get this condition on rides of fifty miles or more, and usually it kicks in, if at all, after 100 miles.

mjr

Postby mjr » 14 Jun 2017, 2:09pm

pwa wrote:
mjr wrote:

Why? Just because you can't feel the pedal doesn't mean that the force is being spread enough by rigid soles. ...

We are all guessing based on our personal experiences. My carbon soled shoes (I have others) are so stiff in the pedal contact area that effectively the sole acts like a wide pedal. My feet are pressing down on a wide surface with no pressure point at the cleat. It's a bit like having clogs on.

Exactly - what I'm trying to get at is that the pressure distribution on your foot inside the carbon clog remains identical and moving it doesn't change it enough (unlike on a wide - but not whole-foot solid - pedal) so you can't vary it over time and get any relief.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

pwa

Postby pwa » 14 Jun 2017, 2:21pm

mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:
mjr wrote:Why? Just because you can't feel the pedal doesn't mean that the force is being spread enough by rigid soles. ...

We are all guessing based on our personal experiences. My carbon soled shoes (I have others) are so stiff in the pedal contact area that effectively the sole acts like a wide pedal. My feet are pressing down on a wide surface with no pressure point at the cleat. It's a bit like having clogs on.

Exactly - what I'm trying to get at is that the pressure distribution on your foot inside the carbon clog remains identical and moving it doesn't change it enough (unlike on a wide - but not whole-foot solid - pedal) so you can't vary it over time and get any relief.

If I understand you correctly you are saying that hot foot is caused by having one small part of the foot taking the pressure without relief. If that is true, and I think it may be, I'd see that more as an issue to do with overly restrictive shoes, done up in a way that stops the foot moving around in them a little. I certainly think that was behind knee problems I had some years ago.