Need advice on car dooring accident.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
MEGAM77

Need advice on car dooring accident.

Post by MEGAM77 »

I have been hit today by a stupid women who opened her car driver seat door all of a sudden while she was trying to get out of the car. she was trying to get her kids/grandkids to the school run I suppose.
I fall down with my bike. Luckily no major injury to me. But my bike was damaged. My front wheel went to odd shape . not circular anymore.
I need to replace my front wheel.

I got her name and car reg. (I got photographs of her car.) But she refused to give her address. Initially, she said sorry but at one point she said was not responsible for it.
Her daughter over the phone said her insurance company name - but she was not too sure.

She was acting dodgy though - I won't be surprised if she said she did not do that.

How can I go further now? Should I call her insurance company? What should I do?

Thanking you in advance.
blackbike

Re: Need advice on car dooring accident.

Post by blackbike »

Go to the police.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Your claim is against her.
She was in control of the vehicle and opened the door into the path of oncoming traffic.

You'll want to get the forks and frame looked at as well (what material are we talking about?)

The police might be interested that she didn't exchange details at the scene of an accident.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Isn't causing injury/damage by opening a door in the face of traffic a specific offence? Think it predates motor vehicles. Tempted to mention an open and shut case...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It is illegal to open a door into the path of a cyclist.
s.42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 says it is illegal to open the door of vehicle in such a way as to endanger or injure someone. This person has committed an offence. Please report it to the police. This thread is about reporting bad driving, but the principle is the same...
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69901

If you would like to make a claim against the driver, it is important that you document everything while you remember it best.

Personally, I would take legal advice. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49627
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
MEGAM77

Post by MEGAM77 »

My bike was a Boardman Hybrid. I need to check my frame as well I believe.
I am planning to call her insurance company if that does not work then register a complaint in police.

Not sure what else I can do.

Regards
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Call the police first - then you have a reference number for the insurers..
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Talk to the police, and make sure that you get a reference number to give to the insurance company. If you don't already have it, the police can give you her insurance details. Under her insurance she is obliged to report any accident to them, if you call them and she hasn't they won't be very pleased with her.

You can also check status of tax, insurance etc online - just to see if she has any

https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/vehicle-tax-mot-insurance

Need to contact the police asap, there is a time limit but not sure what, and then write everything down and draw pictures of what happened and position of vehicles etc etc. Also visibility, road conditions, time of day - sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs.

Hope it all goes well
irc

Post by irc »

MEGAM77 wrote:I have been hit today by a stupid women who opened her car driver seat door all of a sudden while she was trying to get out of the car. she was trying to get her kids/grandkids to the school run I suppose.
I fall down with my bike. Luckily no major injury to me. But my bike was damaged. My front wheel went to odd shape . not circular anymore.
I need to replace my front wheel.

I got her name and car reg. (I got photographs of her car.) But she refused to give her address. Initially, she said sorry but at one point she said was not responsible for it.
Her daughter over the phone said her insurance company name - but she was not too sure.

She was acting dodgy though - I won't be surprised if she said she did not do that.

How can I go further now? Should I call her insurance company? What should I do?

Thanking you in advance.

She was required by law to give you her address. Then if she didn't to report the accident to the police. Report the accident and crime to the police.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road ... /#P71_3529
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Should have stayed down on the road and got somebody to call an ambulance. Police would have attended then. If you have no luck you could try the MIB who were very helpful with my case involving a hit and run driver.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Report to police.
Get all damaged assessed.
Contact CTC solicitor or similar (sorry CUK)
Keep all photographs, receipts, reports and damaged items until it is sorted.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
pete75

Post by pete75 »

This happened to a chap at work. Unfortunately he broke his collar bone in the incident which was witnessed by an off duty police officer. He received compensation for his injuries and damage to clothing and bike. The driver was prosecuted, fined and received penalty points on his licence. He went to a solicitors firm called BGR Bloomer for the claim.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Call the police and do not accpet no.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

MEGAM77 wrote: ... Luckily no major injury to me. ....

I'm not clear what you mean by this because the level of injury is the key. If you mean you are unhurt then I fancy it will be difficult to get much police interest, even if they record the details. Check your local police www to see if they offer any advice. While the driver refused her name and address, you seem to have some details, in that I understand you have spoken to her daughter on the phone.

A lot depends on what you hope to achieve. If you want the other driver to be prosecuted, then the police is the only real option, but don't raise your expectations. If you just want your bike fixing, then the Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) seems to have a system for getting the other driver's details from the Motor Insurance Database (MID) in these circumstances.

https://www.mib.org.uk/check-insurance- ... -accident/
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

If you have the car registration and make, you can check if the car was taxed and insured on the DVLA website. (Remember the Jeremy Vine case?) She may be reluctant to give you details if "things" are not in order.

That link states it requires your car registration. Cycles don't have a registration.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.