Tool kits

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Si

Tool kits

Post by Si »

Assuming that you have more than one bike that you use regularly....

...do you have one tool kit per bike that stays on the bike ready to go?
...or do you have a single tool kit with all the stuff in it to fit all your bikes, that you have to remember to put on the day's bike before going? And how often do you forget it?
cycleruk

Re: Tool kits

Post by cycleruk »

Just one kit so swap about if needed. I do have some specific tyres that I leave on one bike due to it needing longer valves for deeper rims.
Up to now, not had a problem remembering the tools but have forgotten a pump once and the water bottle a few times.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Single toolkit to suit all plus tubes, lock etc. This gets transferred from machine to machine as needed along with the saddlebag which contains those tools, waterproofs, lock and other junk. I have 8 machines so having 8 dedicated toolkits (8 sets of allen keys, 8 chain tools etc, 16 spare tubes because I always carry 2) would be plain silly, although to be honest only 3 are in regular use. The only exception is when I ride the fixed and need to pick up the ring spanner. I admit that on a nice day I might take the tools from the saddlebag and put them in a small saddle pack if I cannot be bothered moving the saddlebag across and can see I'm not going to need the waterproofs.

Because I have machines with different transmissions, 8 speed, 10 speed and 1/8, I keep a spare link inside the handlebar plug on each machine so that I have the appropriate part instead of carrying them all.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I have a comprehensive tool kit on the tandem. On my other bikes I just carry a spare tube and a lidl multitool. It saves the hassle in moving my main tool kit from the main bike (26" wheel tandem) which covers 6000+ miles to the shopper with 20" wheels, road bikes with 700c wheels (less than 1000 miles between them) and the 26" wheel hack which covers 1000 miles. Years ago I would move one tool kit between bikes but occasionally forgot or had the wrong size spare tube. Now it's not a problem and each bike has its own pump as they don't all fit each other. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Heltor Chasca

Tool kits

Post by Heltor Chasca »

One tool kit for EDC and Audax rides. Just the inner tube changes depending on bike.

Touring tool kit is the same but different for reasons obvious.
mjr

Post by mjr »

One kit, which gets moved between the different bikes' bags, along with the mini pump and possibly waterproofs. The appropriate inner tubes stay in the bags usually used for each bike. Never forgotten.

The exception is when I'm touring on the folding bike which so far has meant using the bags from two different bikes on it, but I'll probably repack them anyway then.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

The two bikes I mainly ride have their own tool kit. In part this is because they have different replacement rear derailleur hangers in the under seat packs and I don't need the 8mm hex key on the chunky multitool for my jazzy bike. And because until recently my 'Audax' bike was 9spd - the jazzy bike is 10spd - and I didn't want the faff of swapping stuff around only to find I had the wrong quick link with me when I needed to use it.

When I get out the tandem or tourer I put the bigger under seat pack straight in to a rack bag without taking anything out. Tools specific to the tandem or tourer are stuffed in to the rack bag amongst other gear I will probably never need.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

there is something to be said for stashing small, bike-specific spare parts and tools (eg QLs, gear hangers, spare spokes, funny sized allen keys etc) in some convenient spot on the bike eg a cavity within the bike itself. Suitable spots for stashing odds and ends on modern bikes include

- under the saddle
- attached to a bottle cage mount
- inside the handlebar
- inside the seat pin
- inside a hollow BB spindle
- inside the handlebar stem
- inside the steerer tube (below an expanding bung)

With a little forethought one can be sure to have the right bits and pieces available with each bike.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gaz

Post by gaz »

The commuter has a basic kit, fix a puncture sort of stuff. That stays in its regular pannier complete with pump.

Riding for anything other than the commute I usually take a bigger tool kit. If it's the commuter I'm riding I often forget to pack a pump :oops: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
freiston

Post by freiston »

One kit but I change the spare inner tubes to match the bike - my folding bike has axle nuts so I put in a 15mm socket on a sliding T bar as well for that. For small rides not far from home, I sometimes forego the toolkit for a multi-tool like this one and my pocket leatherman (which I usually have on me anyway).

I haven't got round to it yet, but I want to revise my toolkit and maybe make it a bit leaner.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

3 bikes, 3 identical hard shell saddle packs, 3 identical tool kits, inner tubes, multi tools, mini pumps and puncture repair kits, 2 flapjack bars in each, topped up as consumed ..... it's there nearest i ever get to OCD .... so i'm told ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Normally I only take tyre levers, 2 spare tubes and co2 bulbs plus injector. If I've been fettling the bike (eg fitting new gear cable) I might take a star wrench in case anything needs adjustment or tightening while I am out, but other than this no tools.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I'm struggling because I'd like one, but the folders take 20" tubes, and tourers take wide tubes whereas road bikes take narrow. Maybe I need to carry a kit, and the tubes separately, but that's two bags.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I used to have one that migrated as required, usually carried in a jersey pocket. And yes it got forgotten a few times.

Now each of my bikes has a designated kit fixed to it - correct innertubes and quicklinks with levers and a multitool - there are pumps enough to furnish every bike too. In theory it applies to lights too but they do occasionally migrate and I have found myself stealth riding to get home sans illumination!

Really there's no excuse not to have dedicated kit, you can get a serviceable set for low £'s which is more than up to most people's needs.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Si wrote:...or do you have a single tool kit with all the stuff in it to fit all your bikes, that you have to remember to put on the day's bike before going? And how often do you forget it?

One tool kit. And a universal tool kit holder fitted to every bike during a period of excess income 2-3 years ago. And a flat tyre at the gym without the necessary tool kit several years ago, sans tool kit and pump, has been my only adverse experience to date.

Though today, for the fist time in my memory arrived at the supermarket without the keys for the lock (Sorted out my universal bunch of keys last week, due to my recent renewal of 30 miles a week running :shock: . Disgusting form of exercise, no wheels :shock:. It's not natural).