Wide toe, narrow heel MTB shoes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
climo

Wide toe, narrow heel MTB shoes

Postby climo » 19 Jun 2017, 12:07pm

I'm looking for some comfortable SPD shoes that have a wide and high forefoot/toebox. Rounded toe shape (not pointy) with a narrowish heel. I wear an orthotic insole and so they need more volume than most. Preferably waterproof (goretex or similar) with a vibram type sole not too stiff so I can walk off the bike. Casual look off the bike so laces are fine. Neutral colour without screaming graphics.
Basically a rugged trainer type shoe that doesn't clip clop about.
Mens 45-46. Budget £120
The holy grail of shoes for me.

I have a pair of Shimano sandals with velcro straps and the shape is great for me.
Tried Shimano XM7's. Great shoe but too narrow and the next size up (46) too long. I'm also thinking of the Giro Terraduro HV and the Giro Rumble VR

Anybody got any suggestions?

tatanab

Re: Wide toe, narrow heel MTB shoes

Postby tatanab » 19 Jun 2017, 12:34pm

Giro Republic (possibly others in the range) have a high, rounded and stiff toebox. About 2 years ago I lost toenails on a tour due to new shoes with a flat and soft toebox, so went looking for something like this. I'm happy with them. Not trainers, no graphics, not waterproof but they are on sale at the moment from Evans. Fine for walking, lace up. If you are near an Evans branch it might be worth trying a pair on.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 19 Jun 2017, 12:52pm

My feet are wide at the toes & narrow at the heel. The only cycling shoes I've ever found to fit other than sandals were from Decathlon.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

RickH

Postby RickH » 19 Jun 2017, 3:56pm

I have wide feet at the toe end. I got a pair of Giro Rumble VRs
I got mine from Evans (link) - more expensive than online but I could try before I bought I found I needed a 45 where I usually wear 44s in Shimano.

CyberKnight

Postby CyberKnight » 19 Jun 2017, 5:53pm

I too have wide feet and found the decathlon rockrider shoes to be about the only ones i could wear in the correct size for my feet .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

climo

Postby climo » 19 Jun 2017, 10:09pm

Thanks. Rumble & Republic have been ordered plus Giro Terraduro. Hope one fits and I'll return the rest. I'd visit Decathalon but the nearest is about 70 minutes away by car.

doughboy

Postby doughboy » 14 Jul 2017, 6:49am

I wish Vivobarefoot would make cycling shoes - just make the soles stiff and add cleats.
It's crazy when people say "I have wide feet": *all* humans have wide feet, just many people crush their feet in tight shoes and think that's normal.

RickH

Postby RickH » 14 Jul 2017, 11:09am

doughboy wrote:I wish Vivobarefoot would make cycling shoes - just make the soles stiff and add cleats.
It's crazy when people say "I have wide feet": *all* humans have wide feet, just many people crush their feet in tight shoes and think that's normal.

I'm not sure that is strictly true - or do you think that width fittings, particularly for children's shoes is just hyper & marketting?

This article suggests that different ethnic origins have differing feet shapes. The article concentrates more on toe lengths but I'm sure I've seen one showing differences with the whole foot shape - width of the broadest part compaered to the heel. Whilst I'm not sure I have met folk with all of them I have noticed some people's feet to be significantly different in shape to my own. Even just relative toe lengths will affect where the widest part of the foot comes, in shoes that fit for length, relative to the overall shoe.

And in a lighter vein! :wink: :shock:

shadwellrhino

Postby shadwellrhino » 14 Jul 2017, 11:21am

I've had a couple of pairs of Specialized which are great for wide feet. Latest ones have Vibram soles.

climo

Postby climo » 14 Jul 2017, 5:08pm

climo wrote:Thanks. Rumble & Republic have been ordered plus Giro Terraduro. Hope one fits and I'll return the rest. I'd visit Decathalon but the nearest is about 70 minutes away by car.

Ended up buying a Giro Rumble VR in 46 for summer use (I also have an old pair of sandles) plus Shimano XM7 in 45 for the wet. I'm normally 45 in street shoes.
Haven't worn the XM7's yet as I may just change them for XM9 which is identical but boot shaped if that makes sense. Both have vibram soles and are good for walking. The Rumble VR is comfy with a mesh like top. I've sprayed them with Nikwax Fabric proofer in the hope that it'll keep some water out.

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 15 Jul 2017, 11:55pm

doughboy wrote:It's crazy when people say "I have wide feet": *all* humans have wide feet, just many people crush their feet in tight shoes and think that's normal.
That's definitely not true. We don't normally see anyone else's feet, but when you do you realise that they are very different between different people. Similarly there are differences in hands, which are seen easily. It's not only width of feet that varies, but toe length, just as hand width and finger length vary. I have short fingers and toes, and that factor may be linked.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

doughboy

Postby doughboy » 17 Jul 2017, 5:11pm

Look at feet on any person from a society that doesn't crush their feet into shoes. The toes splay widely, that is the natural and functional way a human foot should look.
Yes, and I do think that width fittings and the lie about feet needing 'support' are utter nonsense. Healthy feet support themselves! We've been sold lies all these years :x
Anyway, I've written to Vivobarefoot to ask if they'll make some cycling shoes.

Papers below are worth reading, relating to the negative effects of shoes on feet:

D’AoÛt K, Pataky TC, Clercq DD, Aerts P. 2009. The effects of habitual footwear use: foot shape and function in native barefoot walkers. Footwear Science 1: 81–94. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19424280903386411

Lieberman DE, Venkadesan M, Werbel WA, Daoud AI, D’Andrea S, Davis IS, Mang’Eni RO, Pitsiladis Y. 2010. Foot strike patterns and collision forces in habitually barefoot versus shod runners. Nature 463: 531–535.http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nature08723

Franklin S, Grey MJ, Heneghan N, Bowen L, Li F-X. 2015. Barefoot vs common footwear: A systematic review of the kinematic, kinetic and muscle activity differences during walking. Gait & Posture 42: 230–239. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0966636215004993