Hi im new to road cycling And need some clothing advise and Forgiveness

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PenrithKid

Hi im new to road cycling And need some clothing advise and Forgiveness

Post by PenrithKid »

Hi everyone Names George age 16 :D :D

Ok so ill start off by saying sorry to anyone in the penrith/Cumbria area that has been road biking in the last 2 years Before i started road biking myself i got ..Aggressive with cyclists nothing violent but on one occasion i have let them know what i think outside my window when a group of them have pulled up beside My dads van so if any of you lads are reading this im sorry And since i myself have started cycling i understand more what you go threw and how hard you work on the road and what nice people you are I always enjoy passing others on the road and getting a friendly hello and smile.

But anyways for the past year I have been cycling in my gym shorts and a sports top And im thinking of investing in some cycle ware just to lighten my load and try and stay cool on the worm weather I have found a web sight selling said gear And was wondering what you guys thought of it and would you recommend i purchase gear from this sight

I do a bit of hill walking and hiking so i understand that looks do not reflect quality But this is what i have been thinking of spending my money on

If any of you can give me a better recommendation I would also be great full

Ps sorry for any spelling errors and grammar issues in general I am a dunce Hence my ignorant past view on cyclists.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/realtoo-cy ... rm=1.3.3.0
Last edited by PenrithKid on 20 Jun 2017, 12:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
sukuinage

Re: Hi im new to road cycling And need some clothing advise and Forgiveness

Post by sukuinage »

Hi,

maybe if you link to the website we could give you some better advice? In general, decent cycling shorts are the most important bit of kit.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Hi. welcome to a whole new world.
A lot of outdoor clothing is suitable for cycling so unless you have aspirations of being labelled up in lycra some of the clothing you have will be fine as long as it's comfortable on the bike.
Just start with good shorts and a wicking top then add other stuff as you go.
A good wicking waterproof jacket is essential. There are various recommendations in other threads.
Orange is a better high viz colour than yellow in the countryside.
You have Aragon in Penrith. Also look out for Aldi and Lidl cycling offers.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Get some decent bike shorts - DHB stuff from Wiggle is good quality and reasonably priced. Your hill walking gear will be fine at first, although I would add a jersey (the pockets on the rear are dead handy).
millimole

Post by millimole »

I would say that your hill walking gear is eminently suitable to start with. Aldi / Lidl cycle clothing is well priced and usually of pretty good quality, if you want something more cyclist-like.
Others have said they consider shorts to be the most important- for me it's shoes : proper cycling shoes (either with toe clips, or a clipless system) are my number one cycling tip.

You can easlily remove the Tapatalk spam using settings on YOUR phone
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Not everyone gets on well with bike shorts. If you've been cycling in gym shorts, something like running shorts might be more comfortable.

I don't wear many clothes that are made especially for cycling. I mostly wear general outdoors stuff. TK Maxx is an excellent (and not very expensive) place to buy these things.

The main thing about comfort for me, is not to wear anything in particular, but to not wear underpants. From that perspective, cycling shorts are useful. :mrgreen:

My favourite cycling shorts are mountain bike baggies. Mine come with liners (undershorts). The liners are reinforced bu not padded, and the overshorts are cargo-style baggies. They are extremely comfortable, the pockets are handy off the bike (they flop around a bit too much to put much in them on the bike), and they pass for normal clothes when I go shopping or something.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shor ... mtb-shorts have them with & without liners. They tend to be cheaper without.

The hill walking stuff is likely to be fine, as long as it is comfortable on the bike.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
meic

Post by meic »

I am another who does most of their cycling in non-cycling outdoor gear.

There are however two advantages of cycling specific clothing.
Firstly aerodynamics, there is a lot of drag that can be cut out by those tight fitting, non flapping outfits.
Secondly wind-proofing built in where you specifically need it. So you have the same top that keeps you warm on the high speed descent and cool on the arduous climb up before that.

Then there are some people who are addicted to saddle padding, a habit that appears hard to shake for those who take it up.
Yma o Hyd
PenrithKid

Post by PenrithKid »

Ok so i realized that i did not enter the link to the website here is is

Also thanks for all the reply's I am considering all your advice and ideas :D
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

PenrithKid wrote:Ok so i realized that i did not enter the link to the website here is is

That looks ok, but white kit can get dirty quickly. I would stick to plain black shorts and a top similar to the one shown.

One problem with buying online is sizing. I am anything from an XL to an XXXXXL according to different manufacturers, so until you know the sizing of a particular brand, it's better to try on before you buy, or buy from a source who have free returns.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Start with some decent shorts, I started in ordinary shorts and old t-shirts with a couple of old sweat shirts and trackie bottoms thrown on as the temps dipped.
All depends on your budget (family / birthdays / christmas?). It is hard to compare the stuff now to when i started.... as kit has come on so far in terms of styles, technical improvements and comfort. I would say get the best you can afford. Start with the shorts, other stuff can gradually follow.... and as I said if relatives are wondering about ideas of what to buy for presents... you can give them some pointers. Can you get down to Staveley / Ings, there are 2 bike shops there with a good range of clothing, one with a cafe one with a cafe in the same yard; Wheelbase and Bike Treks. At least then you can try some kit on and see how it fits, get an idea of what size to order.... not easy if ordering online.

And welcome...... we have all been silly, ignorant and young once.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

[quote="PenrithKid"]

Ps sorry for any spelling errors and grammar issues in general I am a dunce Hence my ignorant past view on cyclists.

Actually I'm impressed at your ability to correctly spell difficult words such as I.e. recommendation, recommend, aggressive, wondering, ignorant and so on. And your ability to correctly input "I", though elsewhere I note that it masquerades as an "i". Likewise, you seem to have acquired the skill to use the word "advice" correctly during the course of the day, having failed to do so in your first post.

Though confused why you have difficulty spelling words such as web "site".

Never mind, if your names George and your're 16 and not an individual masquerading on the forum for some bizarre reason, you're not doing too badly
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I wear walking "gear" - in my case Craghopper shorts, Kiwi shirts - nice handy pockets etc and with sleeves to roll down to protect arms against too much sun.

Underwear? M & S cotton briefs do it for me (so to speak) worked OK so far on Brooks leather saddles.

A lightweight cycling-specific zip-up waterproof (long back).

In colder weather a gilet with a zip-up breast pocket (useful for wallet) plus some winter gloves, and Kiwi longs or similar. And yes, I do tuck the trouser ends into my socks.

Shoes - a pair of Shmano MTB SPD's, or a comfy pair of Clarke's shoes if using flat pedals, (pedals are flat on the Brommie and are one-sided SPD's on the tourer.)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
climo

Post by climo »

You'll be more comfortable wearing separate padded underwear or shorts with sewn in padded underwear. I prefer separate padded underwear as it's easier to keep clean. Endura Mesh boxers are my favourite and I've chucked everything else. Sizing comes up a bit small but not too small.
Walking kit is fine until you want to wear long trousers then best to get something that tightens around the lower leg or buy lycra longs. No need to spend real money on the whole kit.
millimole

Post by millimole »

gbnz wrote:
PenrithKid wrote:
Never mind, if your names George and your're 16 and not an individual masquerading on the forum for some bizarre reason, you're not doing too badly

My thoughts exactly!

You can easlily remove the Tapatalk spam using settings on YOUR phone
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
sukuinage

Post by sukuinage »

PenrithKid wrote:Ok so i realized that i did not enter the link to the website here is is

I'd be careful ordering from that website. In my experience, the goods are delivered from China, can take a long time to arrive, can be subject to import duty & VAT and the sizing may be "strange"