Any recommendations for V-brake blocks (MTB) ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PJ520

Re: Any recommendations for V-brake blocks (MTB) ?

Post by PJ520 »

hamster wrote:The problem with the Shimano pads is that they are very abrasive - they wear your rims instead!
+1 Jagwires are supposed to reduce squeal if that's an issue. I've had good luck with KoolStops.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

gbnz wrote:DON'T buy the Clarkes 55mm threaded V brake pads (£1.99 @ crc cycles)!

Being a tight sod, I bought them. The adverse affect on braking performance in comparison with the shimano pads which came with the brakes, was quite incredible, requiring 2-3 times the effort on the levers to bring the bike to a stop. And after 70 days use, they're almost worn out (The original shimano pads lasted 19-20 months)

One 40 mile ride, it rained.

Approximately 2mm reduction in the thickness of the £1.99 Clarkes pads in the space of one ride. The bike covered in black grime from the worn pad material. The brakes need readjusting again due to excessive wear of the pads, less than two weeks after the last readjustment.

Time to chuck them in the bin and try something else.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I've used koolstop salmon dual compound for quite some time and they're pretty good. A little pricey but they work well and set up correctly don't make any noise. Ashima triple compound worth looking at too at lower price. Both these makes are aimed at all weather riding.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

old_windbag wrote:I've used koolstop salmon dual compound for quite some time and they're pretty good. A little pricey but they work well and set up correctly don't make any noise. Ashima triple compound worth looking at too at lower price. Both these makes are aimed at all weather riding.

Thanks, I'll be reviewing all suggestions (Nb. In respect to brake pads).

Perhaps the only occasion I'll be chucking brand new gear in the bin.