Cycling Paths

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Marine032

Cycling Paths

Post by Marine032 »

Hello everyone,
I will be relocating to Oxfordshire UK (renting a home near Thames) from New York City in August. Although I started as a "roadie" after getting struck by a car, I started riding a cyclocross bile (gravel bike, I have a Ridley X-Fire and a Trek Boone)on trails in the tri-state area. I don't mind out and back routes as long as I am not fighting with trucks and cars. I like the mix of hard limestone, tarmac, gravel etc...I am hoping to find some 15-35 mile routes. I also have a Salsa Pony Rustler full suspension MTB for trails but I am far from a "technical" MTB'er..more like a nice XC trail guy..I certainly appreciate any advice or help anyone can offer...thanks!
howfar

Re: Cycling Paths

Post by howfar »

Hello Marine032

Oxfordshire has a lot of varied terrain from flat river side and canal side paths to undulating chalk bridleways West in the Cotswolds and the Ridgeway path to the South.

There are plenty of Green lanes ideal for your bikes but not too much in the way of forest fire trails and the like - a favourite route of mine off-road is Benson to Reading along the Thames and bridleways through woods open trails via Mapledurham - lovely views and varied terrain.

Visit a local bike shop and they can give you some good pointers and get a 1:25000 scale ordnance survey map and explore!

Ian
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

If you google "sustrans maps" that might be a good start (they have them on dash4it.com), plus the local council might have something (Oxford is BIG on cycling, always has been I think!)

I googled "cycle routes oxford" and came up with a number of hits including this http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Oxfor ... es-97.html

I'm sure there'll be something within riding distance of where you are planning to live!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Marine032

Post by Marine032 »

Gentlemen,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post regarding my request. I will certainly get online and check out those sites. If I may ask, the tow path along the canal, what type of surface is that? Do I need a MTB or can my cyclocross bike handle it?
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Marine032 wrote:Gentlemen,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post regarding my request. I will certainly get online and check out those sites. If I may ask, the tow path along the canal, what type of surface is that? Do I need a MTB or can my cyclocross bike handle it?

Cyclocross will be fine. I've done various canals on lesser machines.
PH

Post by PH »

Give you local Cycling UK group a try, they'll not only know the best routes, they'll also know where the cafes are
http://oxfordcycling.uk/
Marine032

Post by Marine032 »

Thank you ! You have eased my mind quite a bit! The whole move thing has been quite stressful and knowing I can find some great places to ride has been a great relief! I will send the local cycling club a note as well! Thanks again for all your help! If anyone knows of a spot like a described, even if I would have to drive to it, please let me know! Thank you !
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Marine032 wrote:Gentlemen,

Canal paths can vary, if used a lot (which I think they are around Oxford) they are mostly good surfaces. I use a brompton and a tourer on towpaths, raely felt the need for an MTB except on odd sectioons in out of the way places.

BTW please don't be tempted to improve your Strava times on towpaths, you'll find yourself tripping over dogs, anglers, elderly people, people on mobility scooters, kiddies learning to ride, family groups and old fogeys like me who like to trundle along! (Preaching over :wink: )
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

The canal towpath is ok from Oxford to its northern suburbs, but degenerates very quickly after that. If you're cycling from Oxford to Banbury, better to follow NCN route 5 along country lanes.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides